I checked out a 2009 Mazda6

Rockin03mp5

:
'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom
I was at Sesi in Ypsi the other day and they had this fine new 6 sitting in the showroom. Apparently it isn't for sale, and the engine was still hot. Someone was having fun with it. Anyways it was the V6 and it had the Bose audio system in it. Very nice inside. The back seats folded flat. The interior looked very slick. My only complaint was the cheap plastic behind the back seats. Hard and thin and really didn't match the rest. The outside front kinda looks like they took some hints from the RX8.

Here are some pics. Sorry about the cell phone pics. I need to carry my camera around more.

Image043.jpg

Image042.jpg

Image044.jpg

Image045.jpg

I met a guy by the name of Robert who worked for Mazda and had the new 09 6 with him. He was about to head to dealerships to start training the sales team about the 6. I told him I had a MS3 and was shopping for another 3 for my gf, and he invited me out to the parking lot to check out the 09 6. I was very impressed with the looks. Front end has the wheel linings of a RX-8 while the rear shoulders look similar to the CX-7. Very beautiful car though, this will kill the Camry, G8 and Accord in sales for sure!

It would sell great. Problem is there are so few Mazda dealerships around here. That and Mazda really doesn't do too much advertising either. Most people don't know about the 5 at all.

That looks similar to the one I had a chance to go for a ride in...great car. Much nicer than mine, and I do hope they sell well and give Toyota and Honda a run for their money.

It should kill the camry and accord but I would take a G8 GT over this in a heartbeat. Theres something to be said for an honest to God RWD sports sedan.

It's still a great product by all accounts though. I still can't shake liking the last gen stlying (especially in speed 6 trim) better.

if the v6 came with a manual transmission i would be first in line. mazda has made it clear that the commuter comes first and the enthusiast comes second this go around. as for killing accord and camry sales, don't bet on it. you have to get toyota buyers to stop buying toyotas (a very very hard thing to do, being a former toyota die hard myself) and keep in mind the people that buy cars in this segment don't put styling or performance first. magazines raved about how well the the prior generation of 6 handled, turned, sounded, drove but you'll find that didn't reflect in the sales numbers at all. the early reports from MT and C&D already reflect that the car is bigger, heavier, quieter, softer and more sedate than the predescessor - on purpose.

its going to sell better than the last generation of 6, i don't doubt that. i don't see it running away with the midsize market unless the thing cooks waffles, brews a latte and reads aloud the morning paper while driving Joe Yuppie to work. And make no mistake, Joe Yuppie is more the sales target this time around, and less Johnny Racecar.

Theres something to be said for an honest to God RWD sports sedan.

You're right, there is something to be said about a RWD V8 sports sedan:

The dollar - stuck in a funk

The weak dollar is driving up prices for American consumers. None of the fixes will be easy.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/06/news/economy/dollar_doldrums.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008070609
Of what money that people do have to spend, they are more interested in spending in something that is quality, long-lasting and the most for their weak dollar. Splurging on a RWD V8 sport sedan doesn't seem like a smart decision, especially when the G8 is such a watered-down, cheapened-down version of Holden's better vehicles.

Gas prices higher in record territory

Gas prices have surged roughly 40% in the past year.
http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/06/news/economy/gas/index.htm?postversion=2008070607

Especially in MI, every road is grid pattern. And every road is now congested with traffic, and stop lights every mile. Not alot of times to use all that "power". So why waste the gas? What's the point anymore??

I'm not trying to sound like a total downer, because I share the same passion for RWD V8's. I'm just alot more realistic about our times and our country's financial situation. Therefore, I adjust, rather than suffer.

The cost-to-own a G8 is higher, with less return in the end, especially when that thing turns into a rattle-box like every GM. Holden designed the gem, and GM tainted it. Atleast with the GTO, nothing was changed other than the exterior. The integrity and quality of the interior maintained the same. And they really planned on selling a ton of G8's which makes it even less special. Same thing with the Camaro, they really expect to sell 100,000 of these a year with the way things are and the way gas prices are going. Even if they did, once again, just another flooded market with Camaro's. You don't see 1999-2004 Mustang's holding their value whatsoever.

I know this is all off topic, but to stay relevant - The Mazda 6 is going to shock everyone and will continue to be the more profitable automaker out there. They build cars people want to own, drive, and enjoy. Not just some low quality/high quantity seller like the rest of the automakers. That's where the times have changed. Corporations can't get by on selling cheap garbage in high quantities. They actually have to step up and build something worth the price they're charging. And i'd be thrilled to spend $25k on a Mazda 6, compared to a piece of s*** Pontiac G6/G8 for $25-$28k, a boring to drive Honda Accord, or an over-priced and not-much-better-than-domestic Camry.

Speaking on Toyota, i'm utterly disappointed with them. After actually taking a deeper look at their cars, they honestly arn't much better off than alot of the domestics. Loads of plastic everywhere, and cheap interiors. The only thing that holds up way better than domestics are the powertrain and engines. Otherwise, it's the same garbage on the inside. The place where you spend the most time really.

/end soapbox.

Last edited:
I know this is all off topic, but to stay relevant - The Mazda 6 is going to shock everyone and will continue to be the more profitable automaker out there. They build cars people want to own, drive, and enjoy. Not just some low quality/high quantity seller like the rest of the automakers. That's where the times have changed. Corporations can't get by on selling cheap garbage in high quantities. They actually have to step up and build something worth the price they're charging. And i'd be thrilled to spend $25k on a Mazda 6, compared to a piece of s*** Pontiac G6/G8 for $25-$28k, a boring to drive Honda Accord, or an over-priced and not-much-better-than-domestic Camry.

Speaking on Toyota, i'm utterly disappointed with them. After actually taking a deeper look at their cars, they honestly arn't much better off than alot of the domestics. Loads of plastic everywhere, and cheap interiors. The only thing that holds up way better than domestics are the powertrain and engines. Otherwise, it's the same garbage on the inside. The place where you spend the most time really.

/end soapbox.

this is all well and good, and it was all said about the 6 when it replaced the dull and bland 626 and completely out of place millenia in the lineup. and in the end it was all still wrong.

mazda never came close to hitting sales targets it thought it would with the 6. the mazdaspeed6 didn't start trickling off the lot - not flying, zoom zooming or whatever, but just plain selling - until mazda offered so many rebates and incentives on the car that salesmen weren't making money, the dealerships weren't making money and mazda was just selling enough of them at enough of a margin for themselves. when you are giving incentives of $6000 back to the dealership to move 20 month old inventory, thats not profitability. thats called a fire sale.

lets not kid ourselves on the 6 - its a domestic car inside and out, not a japanese one. its about as japanese as a B-series pickup or a Mazda Tribute. the mazdaspeed6 was the only 6 sold here that was all japanese, and in my opinion that showed. its built side by side with the fusion under a blue oval banner. i'm not talking out of my ass here, most people know i worked in both the service and sales departments at two dealerships and have heard and seen it all when it comes to the brand. there were a great deal of, perceived and real, quality issues with the 6 that we heard from customers and potential customers. i'm not going to say it was at the level of a Daewoo, but it definetely wasn't on the level of a Honda or Toyota and not by a mile. in the showroom, i couldn't sell mazdaspeed6s to people at cost. if i had to give one reason why, it was the six speed manual. kids who want manual transmissions don't buy $35,000 mazda6s. and older people who want to spend $35,000 or more on a sports sedan were typically against not having an automatic option. And it was a dealbreaker for alot of people.

i'm with you on alot of your points - i want an exciting car, a fun to drive car, a reliable car. this is why i'm not in a camry, corolla, sienna or scion. but you and i are not, by a long shot, the majority buyer. which is why the newer 6 is more pedestrian and less performance oriented. they are aiming to give the masses the car they want based on the feedback they got from the last model. i don't think the new 6 is going to "shock" anyone and i don't think its going to over take the camry or accord in sales unless those two companies royally screw those two cars up, which sales trends for both vehicles have definetely not reflected.

side note, last i checked, the accord had more power from a smaller displacement engine and still had a six speed manual option. i'm not hating on mazda, maybe playing devils advocate a little even.

You're right, there is something to be said about a RWD V8 sports sedan:

Of what money that people do have to spend, they are more interested in spending in something that is quality, long-lasting and the most for their weak dollar. Splurging on a RWD V8 sport sedan doesn't seem like a smart decision, especially when the G8 is such a watered-down, cheapened-down version of Holden's better vehicles.

Especially in MI, every road is grid pattern. And every road is now congested with traffic, and stop lights every mile. Not alot of times to use all that "power". So why waste the gas? What's the point anymore??

I'm not trying to sound like a total downer, because I share the same passion for RWD V8's. I'm just alot more realistic about our times and our country's financial situation. Therefore, I adjust, rather than suffer.

The cost-to-own a G8 is higher, with less return in the end, especially when that thing turns into a rattle-box like every GM. Holden designed the gem, and GM tainted it. Atleast with the GTO, nothing was changed other than the exterior. The integrity and quality of the interior maintained the same. And they really planned on selling a ton of G8's which makes it even less special. Same thing with the Camaro, they really expect to sell 100,000 of these a year with the way things are and the way gas prices are going. Even if they did, once again, just another flooded market with Camaro's. You don't see 1999-2004 Mustang's holding their value whatsoever.

/end soapbox.

A base G8 GT is not that much more money than any of its V6 competitors (Mazda6, Camry, Accord, Maxima). I believe it comes in around the 29K mar. Plus, cylinder deactivation helps with fuel consumption. Truth be told, if you can afford a V6 model of any of the above, you can afford a G8 GT. It's not really that much of a splurge. As for how it's quality holds up, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ok.

This thread now has a life of its own.

At the least, before I knew Mazda's well, when I saw a 6, I thought it was an Acura from a distance. I thought they were styled well, and the new 6 looks even sharper. The sedan market is saturated and Mazda just isn't a name for most people.

Now, my only hope is that the new 3 takes some styling cues from the new 6 and loses its bulbous nature.

That and why do all of the new cars now have to have huge stereos that aren't in a standard din size? It makes getting an after market system that much more awkward.

Those are 2 reasons why I chose an older pro5 over the newer 3 or 6.

One thing we have to stop kidding ourselves about is that Mazda in general is not an 'average joe' kinda car company. They've tried, but they're no different than Saab IMO. They've got a diverse line up which makes them unique, and appeal to a small portion of the market.

With the economy and fuel prices going the way they are, they made a wise decision to make a more mainstream car. At this point in time most of us are speaking from inexperience for not driving it. Yes, it's a more general midsize sedan, yet still appeals to those who desire something a bit out of the norm. I truly hope that they offer a V6 manual option down the line. Personally, I think they should only offer it with GT trim, in order to keep their margins up. That would make it justifiable.

Comparing a G8, Camry, and Accord V6, I can't get myself to consider one of those. I've driven older Toyotas and was never impressed. I personally need a car with a little more substance, and none of those really apply. The G8 just kills me with its cheaper gauges and second rate interior.

I agree with your points Captain. I don't think that the 6 will be more japanese being built in Flat Rock MI. I guess I think that Mazda finally got the hint, especially after successes like the 3, MS3, CX-7 and now the CX-9. They want to continue that trend and keep making good products.

A small side note, anyone remember on the old Mazda 626's, they had a button you could press that would make the front air vents swing from side to side to give an equal amount of air to both front occupants? I remember that in my friend's 96 626 and I thought it was ingenious, although annoying after a while. Each time you caught a breeze, you wanted it to stay there.

Another side note, check out my observations here in these pictures:

mazda_6.jpg

lexus_IS_2005-L.jpg

2009_mazda6_north_america_images_4.jpg

112_06nyas_02z+2008_lexus_ls_600h_l+rear_view.jpg

One thing we have to stop kidding ourselves about is that Mazda in general is not an 'average joe' kinda car company. They've tried, but they're no different than Saab IMO. They've got a diverse line up which makes them unique, and appeal to a small portion of the market.

With the economy and fuel prices going the way they are, they made a wise decision to make a more mainstream car. At this point in time most of us are speaking from inexperience for not driving it. Yes, it's a more general midsize sedan, yet still appeals to those who desire something a bit out of the norm. I truly hope that they offer a V6 manual option down the line. Personally, I think they should only offer it with GT trim, in order to keep their margins up. That would make it justifiable.

Comparing a G8, Camry, and Accord V6, I can't get myself to consider one of those. I've driven older Toyotas and was never impressed. I personally need a car with a little more substance, and none of those really apply. The G8 just kills me with its cheaper gauges and second rate interior.

I think you're exagerrating a bit on the G8's quality. I've sat in one and it actually isn't bad at all. Sure the red digital guages are unneccesary, but overall, I'd be perfectly happy with it especially considering the total package. Based on its motor alone, it's got plenty of substance.

I think you're exagerrating a bit on the G8's quality. I've sat in one and it actually isn't bad at all. Sure the red digital guages are unneccesary, but overall, I'd be perfectly happy with it especially considering the total package. Based on its motor alone, it's got plenty of substance.

You must not have tried to adjust your driver seat. It's a hand-crank on the side of the seat. They used those WAY back in the day on old German vehicles. All the buttons feel very cheap on the center console, and no more unique gauges. Just el-cheapos.

I'm sure alot of people on these forums would be completely satisifed with the power on the G8 in complete comparison to what we're driving here. Maybe it's so easy for me to talk having come from both the GTO and the Trailblazer SS. However, once again, realistically speaking, no one needs that kinda power and gas consumption. That kind of thrill is short lived and not often. So you have to revert your opinion back to the interior that you spend so much time in. Exterior wise, it looks on point. But interior could have been MUCH better. And I will completely stick to my opinion on that for as long as the G8 stays the way it is.

Comparing a GTO interior to a G8 interior, they went way back in quality IMO. Those crappy analog gauges are finally going away, but the seats are junk and the plastic is mediocre. The V6 G8 isn't that impressive either, its a big car with an engine that's too small for it.

i had a 97 626 with the swing vents. that was a pretty slick if altogether odd feature.

Back