Mazda 6 Factory bose sub replacement

aburk1978

:
2004 Mazda 6 V-6 Grand Touring
Hi, I'm new to this forum as I just recently bought a 2004 6 with the bose audio system. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this before, but the subwoofer acts like it has a short or something...especially when I go around corners or hit medium or large size bumps it sounds almost like the sub is blown, but it doesn't do it all the time. A couple of times I pulled over and opened the trunk and hit it on the bottom side a couple of times and it quit, but only for a little while. Sometimes it will make like a pop-pop-pop-pop sound for several minutes after it starts acting up...even if I turn the radio completely off(huh). If anyone on here knows about or has experienced this before I would really appreciate some info on this. I spoke to the dealer and they want over $400.00 for a replacement (boom08).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this.

to me it sounds like a connection issue, or possibly the amp. If the speaker sounds good sometimes, then its not blown. The connections may be slipping when you corner, or if its an amp issue, it could be a power flucuation that happens intermitently.

Troubleshooting wise, I would start by looking at all wire connects both to and from the amp and speakers, and see if suring those up helps the problem.

to me it sounds like a connection issue, or possibly the amp. If the speaker sounds good sometimes, then its not blown.

Not true. I have had issues with intermittent bad speakers doing similar things. Including causing a radio to overheat overtime and shut down the internal amp. But the speaker would play loud and clear the whole time. But, more than likely it's an amp/amp wiring issue. Do your self a favor and dont pay the dealer a ton of money for something that isnt even that great. You can find an aftermarket sub to fit in the location and even install an aftermarket amp. Better sound, less price.

Just my 2cents

I have yet to experience anything like that Jinx, but I'm sure its possible. you could always take the speaker out and run a multi-meter across it to see if the circut within is complete, hell we used to connect the little square 9v batteries up to the inputs to test to see if its blown or not, its a pretty easy trouble shooting step either way.

A multimeter will also tell you if the impedence (ohms) is correct across the speaker terminals. I believe it should be 2ohms. If it is less, like 1 or 0.5, the voice coil is most likely damaged and it is causing the amp to overheat and shut off intermittently.

Solution: replace both amp and sub with an aftermarket one. You can easily get a better combo by spending $400 at Crutchfield.com for an 8" sub and 150-300w RMS amp.

Looking for assistance removing Mazda 6 door panels for seaker replacement for a 2009 model in the uk. The stuff on here doessnt fit my model.

Back