ALL-OUT Racing Cosmo in the FLESH! w/ Pics & Vids!

Antoine

Administrator
Went to 7's & 8's meeting yesterday and I wasn't sure if the infamous 400hp NA PP 20B Cosmo would be there...

Let me tell you...Not only was it there...in the flesh...it was an awesome site!

I asked the driver if I could start taking pics and video and he was cool with it...Within a couple minutes...The owner of the car and the shop that built it (www.est-fukuyama.ftw.jp) appeared to greet me and shake my hand. :)

He seems like a friendly...easy going guy and we talked a bit about his Cosmo...Here's what I can recall...

* 400hp
* 290tq (if my conversion is correct)
* 9000 rpm limit
* 1100 - 1200 kg (If I recall correctly)
* RX-7 Suspension & Brakes
* Stick-shift...RX-7?
* Powerband is smooth and progressive
* Roughly 3,000,000 yen (almost 30,000 in U.S. beans) in the engine and race mods
* Battery & relays located behind where the front passenger seat would be

The coolest thing about the whole experience was that this Cosmo was not there for show...It was out there to race and kick ass! Another cool point...was that they kept some factory parts in tact...like badges, interior bits etc...So even though the Cosmo was stripped to the bone and reinforced beyond belief...It's still a Eunos Cosmo. (werd)

From the stands...
IMG_3039-MF.jpg

In the pits...prepping to head out for the next race...
IMG_3027-MF.jpg

IMG_3031-MF.jpg

Just back from the race...
IMG_3099-MF.jpg

Now on to the details...Notice the additional reinforcement on the roll cage...
IMG_3100-MF.jpg

Cut wind resistance and weight...Looks cool too (thumb)
IMG_3104-MF.jpg

Interior shot...Notice the original Cosmo dash is still in place...however that raw shifter setup, fire extinguisher system and removable steering wheel...Not standard ;)
IMG_3106-MF.jpg

One way to deal with the Cosmo's heavy doors...:p
IMG_3030-MF.jpg

Now for the Piece de Resistance...
IMG_3023-MF.jpg

Looks top-notch all the way...super clean setup and look at those welds!
IMG_3024-MF.jpg

Now about the vids...I took over 100 clips of HD video of the whole event including the Cosmo racing...It'll be a little while before I get my new mac but I'll try and have them online ASAP!

I'll keep you guys posted...Thanks for watching!

Zoom Zoom Zoom brapbrapbrap

(ohsnap!) UPDATE!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c2Oliq1znfk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c2Oliq1znfk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

8k rev limit on a periph port? seems hes selling the setup short quite a bit... periph ports love to rev... they are the rotary equivilant of huge duration, monster overlap race cams in a piston engine - one of their biggest benefits is the ability to breathe at rediculous RPM. Sure increasing revs means decreasing reliability, but on a race car reliability is often sacrificed...

Still, pretty impressive set up. bet it sounded awesome :)

Just updated the specs...It has a 9000 rpm limit! :D

As for the sound...How can I describe it other than...F'in AWESOME!

It's the sort of sound that if you hear it in person...your entire being is instantly in tune with the heartbeat of that 20B...your senses on overload...your mind, heart and soul completely captivated and the only word your able to utter is...WOW!

and yes...I have it all on video...stay tuned. ;)

Just updated the specs...It has a 9000 rpm limit! :D

As for the sound...How can I describe it other than...F'in AWESOME!

It's the sort of sound that if you hear it in person...your entire being is instantly in tune with the heartbeat of that 20B...your senses on overload...your mind, heart and soul completely captivated and the only word your able to utter is...WOW!

and yes...I have it all on video...stay tuned. ;)

you're going to love the rotors if you ever come to australia... we've got a 20B PP rx7 all motor drag car that kicks out some 10k rpm, and oodles of turbo 20B's and 1 turbo 26B that rev nearer to 12k... they sound like a swarm of angry bees when they get hooting along :)

PP's sound unreal though.... they hate to idle...its almost like they sound angry and insulted when they are made to idle :p

its almost like they sound angry and insulted when they are made to idle :p

hahahaha I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, that's pretty damn accurate lol

Idle = ban!

Either way you slice it...NA or Turbo...I dig that rotary sound and feel...The "PP" sound is awesome for the track but for the street I dig the bold throaty sound coming from my 20Btt and Mzspd exhaust.

It's interesting to note that the sound of the PP 20B in the Cosmo was recognizably different from the other cars racing in the same class that day...Mostly RX-7's (most likely running versions of their native 13b) but there was also a crazy RX-8 from Panspeed in the same group (not sure why because there was also a class for just RX-8s)...I'm not sure if any of the other cars were running a 20B setup but I could always tell when the Cosmo was coming around the corner even when I couldn't see it...

...and the sound of that screaming Cosmo racing by was unforgettable!

pretty awesome xD hehe. OMG!! its those rims i like haha. $369ish for one rim..hehe well idk the price of rims but for just one seems steep xP

Either way you slice it...NA or Turbo...I dig that rotary sound and feel...The "PP" sound is awesome for the track but for the street I dig the bold throaty sound coming from my 20Btt and Mzspd exhaust.

PP is exclusively track
you'd have to have rocks for brains to try and PP on the street in any serious daily driver kind of way.... they are just TOO angry. they have to idle high, they chew fuel like its going out of fashion (more so than rotaries already do) and they reduce engine life by .... LOTS.

when/if you ever rebuild, i'd suggest some mild turbo porting, or maybe a monster or a bridge port.... J port at the ABSOLUTE MAX...(j-port basically extends the ports into the periphery slightly, making them kinda "mini" PP's)....

But yeah, PP sounds like sex... i think every video i've ever shown you is of some sort of PP monster :p

oh ant, reason why it might've sounded diff - the more rotors you have, the higher the pitch of the engine for a given RPM. that plus probably higher RPM.... 26B's sound higher again....26B's sound like a swarm of angry bees belting down the track :p

Last edited:
hahahaha I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, that's pretty damn accurate lol

Idle = ban!

yes it does.

funny thing with the big monster drag rotaries is that they have to constantly blip the throttle to prevent plugs fouling and so forth at idle.... the 20B pp's get even more angry at the drivers though, because not only are they being made to idle, but they are being teased with sudden throttle input.... so in return they offer a firey fuel over-run explosion.... check out this video of the quickest 20B powered drag car in australia at the moment...pay special attention to the exhaust pipe while its getting into stage :p

Braaap brappp.... *boom*.... braaaap braaap braaaap.... *boom*
:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT11mt9FCcw

OMG.........

I've died & been RE-born

The more I see of this wicked beast, the more I want to buildmy own version.

Thanks for the pics mate, they are now wallpaper on my desktop.

REgards

PP is exclusively track
you'd have to have rocks for brains to try and PP on the street in any serious daily driver kind of way.... they are just TOO angry. they have to idle high, they chew fuel like its going out of fashion (more so than rotaries already do) and they reduce engine life by .... LOTS.

when/if you ever rebuild, i'd suggest some mild turbo porting, or maybe a monster or a bridge port.... J port at the ABSOLUTE MAX...(j-port basically extends the ports into the periphery slightly, making them kinda "mini" PP's)....

But yeah, PP sounds like sex... i think every video i've ever shown you is of some sort of PP monster :p

oh ant, reason why it might've sounded diff - the more rotors you have, the higher the pitch of the engine for a given RPM. that plus probably higher RPM.... 26B's sound higher again....26B's sound like a swarm of angry bees belting down the track :p

Yeah...Just seeing & hearing a PP rotary in action tells me it would be insane to drive such a setup on the street...even as a cruiser...but man does that setup sound super sweet on the track!

When the day comes that I have to rebuild or upgrade the 20B...I might consider some mild porting...I like that balance of high-performance and durability/reliability...not too extreme but not wasting my time either...;)

As for that 20B sound...Thanks for the explanation...Once I get the vids up...you might be able to hear the difference in sound which would be very cool...Stay tuned! :D

yes it does.

funny thing with the big monster drag rotaries is that they have to constantly blip the throttle to prevent plugs fouling and so forth at idle.... the 20B pp's get even more angry at the drivers though, because not only are they being made to idle, but they are being teased with sudden throttle input.... so in return they offer a firey fuel over-run explosion.... check out this video of the quickest 20B powered drag car in australia at the moment...pay special attention to the exhaust pipe while its getting into stage :p

Braaap brappp.... *boom*.... braaaap braaap braaaap.... *boom*
:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT11mt9FCcw

Yeah...Even my Cosmo doesn't like to idle for extended periods of time...More than a few minutes (like when I'm fooling around with the navi unit before taking off) and the idle starts to get a little rough...Now I always try to keep idle time to the minimum needed for warmup...

Overall...I just love how the 20B is soooo smooth and at the same time it revs so easily and so eagerly...I look forward to enjoying the Cosmo & 20B for many years to come!

Thanks for posting all those crazy PP vids! (thumb)

OMG.........

I've died & been RE-born

The more I see of this wicked beast, the more I want to buildmy own version.

Thanks for the pics mate, they are now wallpaper on my desktop.

REgards

Awesome and I feel the same way...If you're a Cosmo fan...you'll be one for life after seeing & hearing this Cosmo in person...If you're not a Cosmo fan...you'll become one after seeing & BELIEVING this beast in the "flesh".

Thanks for making my pics your wallpaper!

Ps..."RE-born"...Nice ;)

motivation to work on the three rotor...

Get to work! :p

Wait...Didn't you say something was wrong with the 20B you had?

It's definitely a "jaw-dropper" in person...I nearly lost it when he started revving that beast...He started it up just so that I could catch it on camera...Cool guy...Awesome Cosmo! (2thumbs)

I've got some clips of this beast actually racing in the rain...Coming soon ;)

It's definitely a "jaw-dropper" in person...I nearly lost it when he started revving that beast...He started it up just so that I could catch it on camera...Cool guy...Awesome Cosmo! (2thumbs)

I've got some clips of this beast actually racing in the rain...Coming soon ;)

Still reckon the engine sounds better when placed lovingly in an RX3 though ;)

but yeah, bring on some race vids!

In other rotary news, one of the biggest rotary teams here (PAC performance) just bought a new chassis - apparently their 20B (genuine) cosmo engine is going in it in the short term....but to catch the piston boys i've got a hunch a 26B is in the build.... ;) i'll keep you posted buddy :)

(ohsnap!) VID UPDATE!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c2Oliq1znfk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c2Oliq1znfk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Back