Official Exhaust Thread

The mazdaspeed axleback is pretty loud even WITH all the cats in place.

Yeah that's what it sounds like, but I think my cat is bad and I don't think I'm interested in a 4-1 header. To fill that space where the cat goes I figured I might as well use a bolt on pipe, that fills the space where the cat goes. I won't have to take it to a shop And i also don't have emissions in the mountains..

Does anyone know the diameter of the presilencer pipe? I tried searching and couldn't find it... Also anyone know if the probe headers are 2 or 2.25"? I'm trying to decide what size of test pipe to buy . the mazdaspeed axelback says 2" inlet so I'd assume its the same all the way through the presilencer . the smallest test pipe I can find has a 2.25 inlet 2.25" outlet.. Will all the flanges match up and am i just thinking about it too much.. Or does anyone think they can help me out

I post a lot, sorry if it bugs, just lookin for help

Last edited:
UPDATE ON EBAY CAT BACK

after roughly 1 year to the day, (11 1/2 months) the ebay cat back has a leak.

ebaycatbackleak_zps72a3d13d.jpeg

you get what you pay for, but it would be wiser to just order a quality exhaust the first time. i hope i save somebody else the trouble.
ordered a racing beat catback which should come in a week

I figure it's not worth putting in 50% of what i paid for it lol, plus ive been waiting for an excuse to get a quieter catback, hopefully i enjoy the racing beat.

I figure it's not worth putting in 50% of what i paid for it lol

depends on what you want. If $50 can get it fixed to where it'll work for another couple years, it might be worth it over spending $$$ for something else. BUT:

plus ive been waiting for an excuse to get a quieter catback, hopefully i enjoy the racing beat.
Yeah, then get the RB lol

So my exhaust is finally (almost) done I am just running into 2 small issues, im sure you guys will have the fix for me!

my set up is as follows: OBX header > sls catted midpipe > racing beat catback

1) I am having vibrations when letting off the gas or shifting gears, around the 3000 rpm range... i looked under and it is coming from the flex pipe of the sls midpipe vibrating on the crossmember... i need to get it to sit higher so this problem doesn't happen anymore because some of the wire threads are getting cut by this and the vibration is very annoying.

2) I cant seem to fix this one small leak i have. it is between the midpipe and catback... the racing beat came with an o-ring gasket that would NOT fit properly fresh out of the box so i hammered it in as best i could, and i re used a standard gasket as well... so there is an o ring gasket and a standard looking flange gasket but there is still a leak. very tiny i can just barely feel warm air coming out but seeing that all these pipes are new i shouldnt be having any... can somebody recommend a fix?

so far i think what i need to do is maybe get stiffer exhaust hangers and another problem could be motor mounts because i noticed the exhaust moves a noticeable amount under acceleration

EDIT:
so i pretty much answered my own questions here...
what i ended up doing was getting a thick and strong wire and looped it around the sls midpipe in front of the cross member (towards engine) and looped it over top of something else sturdy and tightened it... it raised the flex pipe part higher and no longer vibrates, clearance wont be an issue until the wire breaks or snaps or gets loose... so i still need a long term answer
as for the leak i loosened up, re adjusted, and tightened it and the leak disappeared.... im thinking it could be from the midpipe being elevated as well but suggestions are still welcomed!

Last edited:
here is an update

everything is going good except one small problem

my mid pipe is vibrating/ rubbing at the flex part of the pipe on the support plate beneath the cross member, under acceleration (2.5k rpm range) and when i let off gas or switch gears is when it vibes. i can feel the whole exhaust pipes moving if that makes sense and the vibration shakes the whole cabin while driving. at idle it is not a problem

but here is a video clip of my exhaust.... obx > sls > racing beat

Could someone please give me the correct direct link to purchase online the right fitting and model of Racing Beat exhaust for an 02 Mazda Protege5.
Thankyou!

Back