coolant boiling Out of canister

Coolant overflow is bubbling over on my new to me MSP water was changed 4 days ago then thermostat. there thinking the issue is the head gasket. it's got 46,000 miles on the clock any thing else that could be the culprit.

check the engine oil if its mixed w/ coolant , that might bring you more problem.
are you using the right ratio of coolant ??
check if the waterpump is not leaking again, it happen to my toyota once.

Last edited:
If there is a leak it will not be able to build presure and may boil. That is what is going on with my car. The temp gauge is steady but if I drive for too long it will start to boil. Maybe it's just a stupid gauge and I am overheating but it never moves unless the coolant is real low. See if you can find a leak, a mechanic should have a pump tester or take it to a radiator shop and have them thest it for you. If not you may have a bad headgasket, hopefully not.

I never thought about radiator cap. It's so strange cause the temp gauge never get's past 1/2

how much coolant do you guys have in your overflows if the car is completely cold?

I have like 1/2 inch after i filled it up numerous times and ran it around.

So here's the next chapter:
After the mazdaspeed dealer did a full diagnostic, cleaned what they thought the culprit: clogged ac compressor and radiator with "debree" the issue continued. Final diagnosis: leaky head gasket!! "Not blown, but blowing" it still holds pressure at I think 55 psi which is at spec. but seems to loose pressure at boost.

Were there any secondary indications or this? Coolant around the head or white smoke out of the tailpipe?

Were there any secondary indications or this? Coolant around the head or white smoke out of the tailpipe?

None!! The only issue I was having was coolant boiling out of the canister. That's why it was so hard to diagnose. The Mazdaspeed tech spent 2 days ruling everything else out. He was suprised himself!!

Did the tech explain why the hell a small leak in the headgasket would boil coolant? Because i still can't figure out the logic behind that one...

Just curious. Also, were you able to inspect the gasket? i'd be very interested to see what kind of damage was done and what kind of leak we are talking about here...

He said it was a "leaky" gasket. It actually held to spec PSI on the compression test. He put the example in medical terms since he knew I was nurse. He said "it's like she's 3 months pregnant...just starting to show.. but soon enough she's having a baby!!!" He thinks they might have tried some of that gasket stop leak which might also be why it's showing the symptoms that it is. I dropped the car off yesterday to the dealer I bought this car from, since all of this was pre-existing from my purchase. They seem to be trying to make this situation right, but I may still have to pay some more money out of my pocket. I'm already $250 in the hole on this thing. What a bunch of BS!!!I've had this car for 3 weeks and have only driven it the first 3 days.

You got off lucky. My car blew a rod bearing three days after I bought it, got the warranty denied, and spent the next 8 months building it up forged.

my car is doing the same thing. changed the coolant and now it get hot and boils. I had a couple leaks that happened at the same time also. the catch can split at the seams and a sensor for my ems started leaking. I guess you shouldnt change the coolant ever

Did the tech explain why the hell a small leak in the headgasket would boil coolant? Because i still can't figure out the logic behind that one...

Just curious. Also, were you able to inspect the gasket? i'd be very interested to see what kind of damage was done and what kind of leak we are talking about here...
Your right, I dont understand how a blown headgasket would = boiling over, unless it was allowing air pockets to form in the system, which would in turn cause it to boil over.

I'll have the gasket in hand tomarrow along with my hopefully fixed car. They did say that the gasket was blown after visual inspection once they pulled it today. I'll get some pics of the gasket when I bring it home and post them for you guys if that helps anyone. Crazy issue though. It took the mazdaspeed dealer tech 2 days to figure it out. They thought it was the sc condensor and radiator clogged. Lucky I told them I thought is was a the gasket and how sure they were it was wasn't. They ended telling that if it they did the work and they were wrong they wouldn't charge me, for the work. I was right and they stood by there word. I only paid for the complete diagnosic. Then I called the dealer I bought the damn car from to let them know an actual Mazdaspeed tech diagnosed the problem, as pre-existing.
For any one in The Chicago area NEVER BUY FROM "CHICAGO MOTOR CARS"

and all of you in the Chicago area NEED TO GIVE GIVE BUSINESS TO COUNTRYSIDE MAZDA IN OAKLAWN. they are the best!!!I'll post about how great they are in a seprate post.

sorry for not updating this sooner, I've been working and out driving the MSP. She is all fixed. It seems the wacky coolant boiling over without overheating issue is a pre-curser to a blown head gasket. They swapped it over and 300 miles later not a single issue. Infact yesterday I had a generic open air filter laying around, so I swapped on and have been enjoying the gobble, gobble and sucking sound of the intake and BPV.

Back