GM small seven-seat van (Chevy Orlando, merged)

HotRodSaint

:
Mazda5 Touring 5 Speed
This is the reason I'm posting it here:

GM plans to build a small seven-seat van in Hamtramck for export to other markets, the source said. The van which will not be sold in the United States will be a next-generation variant of the Opel Zafira.

But this part is much more intriguing to me:

In an unauthorized revelation on Friday, UAW officials disclosed General Motors plans to produce a small rear-wheel-drive vehicle architecture code-named Alpha.

The revelation came as the UAW publicized GMs pledge to invest in future vehicles for 16 assembly plants a pledge the union won this week during its contract negotiations with GM.

GM will build two body styles of the new Alpha vehicle, which will begin production in 2011. GMs plant in Lordstown, Ohio, will assemble it.

GM has not unveiled a concept version of the vehicle, said a source familiar with the program.

Its an all-new architecture that does not exist in the portfolio now, the source said. It is in the compact area but bigger than the Gamma. Its more like a small entry-level vehicle that would be more luxury-inclined, like a BMW used to be.

The source would not say which of GMs eight brands would get the vehicle. GM executives have previously said that Pontiac would be the brand of choice for affordable rear-wheel-drive cars.

UAW reveals GM plans to build small rwd cars

Next Gen Zafira?, The current one is already yummy :D... Let's see, if Mazda5 and Rondo set a trend, GM may change its mind and make it available in the US as well by the time production kicks off.

2227014135734436.JPG

As per the Alpha code-name RWD car, check this thread, the Holden Torana looks really nice:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123684324

Pontiac is already bringing the G8 (Holden Commodore) next year, so it would be great if this smaller car keeps the same style.

Wow! That's a Mazda 5 clone if I ever saw one. Looks like a Chinese knock-off.

Zafira built but not sold in the US? I assume it's to take advantage of the weak dollar as well as to throw a bone to the UAW.

Now I ask you, as a mid thirties consumer with a family which vehicle of GMs would you rather buy, the HHR or the Opel Zafira? GM is headed up by the bigget bunch of retarded chimp-screwing knuckle draggers I swear to God.

GM is always behind with the trends. First it's the HHR (after the PT Cruiser), then it's the restyled Camaro (after the Mustang and Challenger), and now a small 7 seat van (after the 5).

"Holden" means "barely holdin' together" down under. LOL

Next Gen Zafira?, The current one is already yummy :D... Let's see, if Mazda5 and Rondo set a trend, GM may change its mind and make it available in the US as well by the time production kicks off.

As per the Alpha code-name RWD car, check this thread, the Holden Torana looks really nice:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123684324

Pontiac is already bringing the G8 (Holden Commodore) next year, so it would be great if this smaller car keeps the same style.

I'm sure a US-built car will just bowl them over in Europe. When I lived there, the only American cars worth anything were associated with HP!

Zafira built but not sold in the US? I assume it's to take advantage of the weak dollar as well as to throw a bone to the UAW.

I wouldn't buy either. GM = Great Mess in my book.

Why the heck would you build a RWD this thing? The extra space required by putting in a drive shaft to the rear wheels (and diff.) does not lend itself well to maximizing the interior space (or fuel capacity) of such a small vehicle.

Now I ask you, as a mid thirties consumer with a family which vehicle of GMs would you rather buy, the HHR or the Opel Zafira? GM is headed up by the bigget bunch of retarded chimp-screwing knuckle draggers I swear to God.

Last edited:
Why the heck would you build a RWD this thing? The extra space required by putting in a drive shaft to the rear wheels (and diff.) does not lend itself well to maximizing the interior space (or fuel capacity) of such a small vehicle.

I guess that would rule out an AWD Mazda5 being built too. Oh wait, that already exists.

Yep, they are parked right next to the Saturn Zafira's. (ohsnap!)

:D. Well, I do believe Saturn would be the best match to bring Zafiras anyway. They have come up with the Euro-style Aura and they are to bring the highly anticipated Opel Astra as well (no Red Line though). The other GM brands would just make the Zafira look very bland here in NA.

Back