Should I trade it in?

StreetStyleJPTI

Show mE ur BatwinG
:
2003.5 Mazdaslow Protegay
So yesterday I went to a dealership and fell in love with a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R. It's red with 10K miles. They said they would give me $8000 for mine and that would put me at about $530 a month for the car. I didn't do it because I feel that no car should be that much a month, however, I wouldn't mind getting rid of this MSP.

Blech. If you're going to have a $530 a month car payment, get something that's worth it. Also, try selling your MSP, you should be able to get more than 8k for it.

I actually looked at an STI, but the dealership wouldn't let me test drive it. So I told the guy to go to hell and left. The reason for the high payment is the differnce on what I owe for the MSP and the higher interest rate...but it is a really nice car.

Reliability FTW. I'm thinking of getting back into the 3.8 liter L67 game myself, these cars are awesome but my insurance hates me and the whole turbo thing isn't pleasing me. Superchargers are so much simpler.

I want something I can leave stock and save my money...and something with more options. Plus this thing is a lot faster.

lol must have got a prick salesman...we stopped to look at an sti and he asked if i wanted to take it for a drive and i told him sure, but i knew i definitely wasnt buying it today hahaha. we still went for a drive, and it was heavenly.

Yah, I'll admit that I do that every now and then (test drive but not serious). But I was totally serious, and I have driven cars worth a lot more without being serious at all. I took that as a personal insult. s***, I bet I make more then the sales manager!

lol must have got a prick salesman...we stopped to look at an sti and he asked if i wanted to take it for a drive and i told him sure, but i knew i definitely wasnt buying it today hahaha. we still went for a drive, and it was heavenly.

yeah, I got to test drive one and i wasn't even shopping. my cousin was buying at a Legacy 2.5 and i was looking at the sti and the sales man was like you wanna take it for a ride? i said sure i went with him and we beat the snot out of it :) i think i still got the video of the drive somewhere.

ofcourse at the time i had my Saab, so i guessed he thought I had money (rofl2)

It all depends on the Subaru dealership. We have one of the best in the country here and they'll let you test drive anything. Food for thought, you should never trade in/sell a car if your still in the red (owe more than it's worth). I have seen friends do this time and time again and it's the most retarded financial decision you could make (besides the whole sub-prime mortgage thing). Luckily my MSP is paid off, and I often think about trading it in and getting something nicer, but not having a car payment is friggen sweet.

On the flip side, I am happy with my MSP. It gets good enough gas mileage, good enough performance, and it satisfies me during SCCA events. If I hated the car, much like I did with my 2003 Lancer OZ turbo, then it's a good idea to get rid of it. If you do trade in on the negative, make sure it's for a car you will be satisfied with till you pay it off.

One thing I just noticed though, is the new '08 Altima V6 is more powerful than the '05/'06 SE-R version.

I believe it is. The Nismo Altima was more of a "appearance" package more than anything. I dont think it had any additional HP over the regular V6 altima

I believe it is. The Nismo Altima was more of a "appearance" package more than anything. I dont think it had any additional HP over the regular V6 altima
The SE-R got 20 more horsepower than the regular V6 Altima. Who cares though, the new one has 270hp and with some sort of piggyback computer that I am sure exists you can get 300hp just like the 350Z (same engine just detuned).

the new one has 270hp and with some sort of piggyback computer that I am sure exists you can get 300hp just like the 350Z (same engine just detuned).

the reason it achieves 300hp on the 350Z is mainly because the rods are lighter and stronger.. and the revs go way higher than the 6500 rpm the altima has..

so revving that altima engine pass is normal red leine will result in boom

the only thing you can do with an engine like is add boost.. SC or turbo..

if the CR is not too high that is...

dont forget the weight of the car too..

at 500$/month , im going for a MS6.. atleast it's AWD and theres untapped potential in the 2.3

the fact that you are getting 8000 for a trade and still have to pay 530 a month for an altima is ridiculous...If you're going to screw yourself like that at least get something worth 530 a month...

I actually looked at an STI, but the dealership wouldn't let me test drive it. So I told the guy to go to hell and left. The reason for the high payment is the differnce on what I owe for the MSP and the higher interest rate...but it is a really nice car.

dude it sounds like you are way upside down on your msp if a freakin altima is gonna run you that much. How much do you owe on it?

Heres the thing. I don't care, but I do. I work so much that all I can enjoy is driving to and from work. The way my mind works is retarted too. I buy cars but never put $ down, thats one problem. I have the $ in the bank, but I'm to paranoid to take any of it out. I also had bad credit when I was a kid and since then I have fixed it...but its still not perfect. I owe about $12000 on my MSP, and I have only had the car since April. I am well aware that the SE-R is a "waste of money package" seeing how all it is...is different seats, 3-gauge pod, different wheels, 10 more HP, SE-R on the calipers, and as for the luxury options, you can get them in the luxury model Altima and the SE. Yah, I have had 4 different cars since Nov of last year...I just give in and do it...I don't really have any bills and I make about 70K a year so I guess I can afford to buy on impulse. Plus with an STI I feel like I am buying something hoping to fit in.

having a significant amount of $ in the bank yet having outstanding debt that you're paying interest on doesn't sound like the best thing to me. don't think about the car in terms of monthly payments, think about what it actually costs. if you like to switch cars a lot the best thing to do is get one paid off and then trade that while it's still worth something. then you have that entire value towards your next car and you won't pay as much interest if any at all if you're trading to a similar level of car. you'll still lose $ (though if you're doing used to used it won't be as bad) but it won't be as much.

you could also look into leasing given your desire to change cars frequently. generally i wouldn't tell someone to lease a car but it seems like it may be a better option for you

Back