Seat Swap

99 Pro

Contributor
:
1999 Protege LX
So for you guys that swapped some MSP, P5 or MP3 seats into your regular Protege.....was it worth it? I got a line on some MSP seats here in Canada, but I can't decide if they are worth the money. Please help!

what color is your interior? they might look out of place if you can't swap everything out.

what color is your interior? they might look out of place if you can't swap everything out.

I got the stock grey interior. I plan on getting some new black Mazdaspeed floor mats and also painting the fabric on the door panels black. Maybe that would make the seats not stand out so much? I just really think the LX seats suck....no support at all, and they look kinda plain as well.

Some of you guys must have swapped in ES/MSP seats into your DX/LX Protege. How do you like em?

I have swaped the mp3 seats into my p5. I found the p5 seats after time became soft and lost a lot of support and the mp3 seats were a lot stiffer. I also swaped all the door panels as well to match I think it's well worth it asthetic wise and comfort wise. My back thanks me everyday!

Last edited:
trust me you'll love an aftermarket seat. mine costed <400 total (seat + custom seat brackets)

ea2f0bbf.jpg

I don't really want to go the aftermarket seat route. I hope that the MSP seats with my grey interior wouldn't look too stupid though. I guess I could add more black around the car to 'even' it out some.

The seats I have now have no support at all.

just curious, im sure you have been looking around for the msp seats. how much are they going for used?!

I'm not sure, but I think I paid $275 shipped for the fronts that I bought from Fast Lane and $350 shipped for the rears off a guy on Ebay. He charged me that much for the rears because he was selling the fronts and rears as a set and I didn't need the fronts, so I had to convince him with more money to break up the set. I REALLY wanted those rears.

The rears don't bolt up directly so be sure to take the brackets off your stock rears before you get rid of them and mount them on the MSP rears. I got rid of mine before I realized this, so now I have to go to a junkyard. I don't know why they don't bolt up, it's the same frame. The fronts bolt up just fine.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think I paid $275 shipped for the fronts that I bought from Fast Lane and $350 shipped for the rears off a guy on Ebay. He charged me that much for the rears because he was selling the fronts and rears as a set and I didn't need the fronts, so I had to convince him with more money to break up the set. I REALLY wanted those rears.

The rears don't bolt up directly so be sure to take the brackets off your stock rears before you get rid of them and mount them on the MSP rears. I got rid of mine before I realized this, so now I have to go to a junkyard. I don't know why they don't bolt up, it's the same frame. The fronts bolt up just fine.

Good to know. I'll remember that for when I pick these up.

Bought a set of used 2003.5 MSP seats from a guy in Canada yesterday. Should be here in about a week or so. Really looking forward to this swap. I'll post pics when done.

I put P5 seats (F&R) in my LX. I was very happy with the swap, even if it did look a bit odd. Yours should look fine with the Grey interior, mine was tan!

LXSeats-5dash.jpg

LXSeats-4all.jpg

...and just because it's funny, SIX SEATER PROTEGE:
LXSeats-6B&T.jpg

I have an LX (light grey interior), and I swapped the front and rear seats to the ES (dark, yo).

The two-tone really works, and I have no regrets. Looks great and I love it

Personally, I think the stock recaro seats out of the late model evos would look incredibly sexy in the protege given that they're color matched accordingly. You'd have to fab up some brackets, but it would be worth it. pics

are the seat brackets the same between the proteges and the P5s? I need a new set of sliders for my P5 and it would be a lot easier to get them from a standard protege.

thanks!

Everything bolts right up. Here are a couple pics......more to come later:

Attachments

• P1010815.JPG
    P1010815.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 343
  • P1010816.JPG
    P1010816.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 322
  • P1010818.JPG
    P1010818.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 292