GI: New Intake Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, why not copy the 626 manifold and mass produce it? You could sell them for $150 each and make a killing. You'd sell a ton!
because its design is far from ideal?

shorter runners will promote even better high rpm flow, which is what turbo engines starve for

unequal length design similar to the 323 GT-R's intake manifold would probably be even better to prevent some of the cylinders from running lean or rich

interested in this, and quick question a wee bit off topic... will the p5 obx turbo headers fit on an msp?

because its design is far from ideal?

shorter runners will promote even better high rpm flow, which is what turbo engines starve for

unequal length design similar to the 323 GT-R's intake manifold would probably be even better to prevent some of the cylinders from running lean or rich

How would an unequal length design keep individual cylinders from running rich? As soon as the air hits the TB you want each path it takes to be the same length...

interested in this, and quick question a wee bit off topic... will the p5 obx turbo headers fit on an msp?

Yes, but no.

It will bolt up, but you'll need a whole other turbo setup. It won't work with your stock one, but the stock setup is s*** anyways, so just upgrade it all.

How would an unequal length design keep individual cylinders from running rich? As soon as the air hits the TB you want each path it takes to be the same length...
umm... lets see... typical FWD 4 cylinder intake manifolds are log style these days and that the throttle body is mounted on one end of the plenum "log"... air enters through that opening via the throttle body and the runner closest to it usually has the most velocity or flow regardless of diameter compared to the rest... as you go down to the very end of this plenum, velocity decreases and so does flow

obviously there's way more science to this and I have a hard time explaining this, but if MAZDA engineers created unequal length runners from the FACTORY on the GT-R's BP turbo engine, why do you think it is not true and won't work? There are *quality* aftermarket intake manifolds out there that do this same effect on the more popular engines out there... such as the greddy "football" intake for the SR20DET... the plenum size tapers off to be smaller at the end to maintain velocity... I forgot whether it has unequal lengths or not, but the concept holds the same

you can't design intake manifolds like you would with NA headers where equal lengths matter for *scavenging*... intake manifolds need flow velocity as well as a decent plenum size to maintain it due to the pulsation effect inherent of the 4 cycle combustion engine

Last edited:
But for a turbo engine (such as the aforementioned SR20DET) a large "collection plenum" or w/e you wanna call it is good when coupled with short runners. In a boosted application, I don't know that runner length is that important as each runner will be recieving the same boost pressure.

I have been trying to get it more time to work on this. I will have more time at the end of this week.

No pics yet.

But for a turbo engine (such as the aforementioned SR20DET) a large "collection plenum" or w/e you wanna call it is good when coupled with short runners. In a boosted application, I don't know that runner length is that important as each runner will be recieving the same boost pressure.
and the GT-R motor isn't boosted?

I get what your saying dude

but in a boosted application it doesnt really apply

air fills up the mass after a few seconds of being under pressure

its not like water, it doesnt contantly flow

it equally presses out in all directions...so no matter what length of the individual runners/etc...you will always get the same amount of boosted air going into each cylinder

I dont know much about the gtr you are referring to, so I dont know its turbo...in a N/A application where the air is being sucked in it would be advantageous, but in a boosted application it doesnt really make a difference except for the few seconds you are spooling up

a straight through equal length runner (like the 626) would work great

you are right about it, it has advantages, but only for a few seconds while you are spooling up boost...afterwards that whole space throughout the pipes and in the manifold all has equal pressure throughout it...granted you start to loose pressure after multiple feet of distance (i.e. your gonna have more pressure by the turbo than by the throttle body)....but between the opening of the manifold and the last cylinder's runner isnt enough to really make any difference at all

Last edited:
I can post some pics of a 626 manifold and GT-X manifold next to each other for s**** and giggles if people would like. but not until maybe Monday though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back