TPMS Warning Light Problem - Mazda3 GT

jcsarp

I am having a TPMS problem on my new 2007 Mazda3 GT. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. All four tires are holding pressure correctly. 32 psi when cold rising to about 34 - 35 psi when warm. The problem only occurs after the car has been driven for a period of time. The dealer said that a diagnostic scan indicated that the TPMS module was reading each tire pressure correctly, but the ID codes for each wheel sensor were not registered in the module. The dealer "registered" each wheel sensor and sent me on my way. The same TPMS warning light problem returned later the same day. No change. Do I have a defective wheel sensor or a defective receiver module? The dealer seems to want to use the "keep bringing it back and we'll check it" method. The problem is that most of the time just shutting off the engine for a few minutes resets the warning light only to have it return after the car is driven. Any ideas? Thanks.

Take it back three times, then ask for a new car under the lemon law. That'll get their attention.

i'm having the same problem. i am taking my car in on the 16th for the moter mount recall, i'll see what they can do to fix this then.

maybe a loose or faulty fuse? do you have a sunroof? do they even offer a sunroof in the gt???
anyway, the fuse for the tpms on the ms3 sport version is labeled sunroof in the fuse block under the glove box...

I would suspect a damaged/defective wheel sensor. (I'd hope the start-up diags would catch a dud receiver!)

Check all the valve stems. There should be absolutely zero movement since they are all-metal construction.
Also, try going to an open lot and listen to each wheel as the car moves at a low idle speed (2-person job). Listen for something rolling around in the tire.

I recently had a similar problem thanks to a botched mounting job at a local tire shop. Once I get some pics of the damaged module, it will be easier to paint a picture...

TPMS is a great technology that every car should have, but IMO it appears there's still room for improvement on the materials used and (non-dealership) mechanic training...

yeah id put some more air in the tires. personally i run 36 all around

TPMS Fuse on MS3

Do you mean to imply that the fuse for the speed 3 TPMS is not on the sunroof?

MS3 TPMS Warning Light Problem

I have similar problem on my MS3 and was wondering if you had resolution.

Mine is a 'malfunction' by the definition in the owner's manual - i.e. it blinks for a minute then goes steady. Unfortunately, mine is intermittent and has frustrated the dealer. Yes I can play hardball with them, but not yet. My plan is to swap my winter tires two at a time in different patterns (I have separate winter wheels with separate sensors and I have to change over anyway).

Originally Posted by rotaryguy
anyway, the fuse for the tpms on the ms3 sport version is labeled sunroof in the fuse block under the glove box...

wow...that's really useful to know, cause i'm running without TPMS for the winter...

If you can confirm this is true let me know.

UPDATE .....

Here's an update for those of you that did NOT cause your own TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light problem by changing wheels and/or tires.

My dealer took the time to contact the Mazda corporate "hot line" to discuss my problem (see below) with factory. The dealer was told that my Mazda3 GT was experiencing RF interference between the TPMS module and the rain sensing windshield wiper module. Mazda shipped an updated replacement rain sensing module overnight to the dealer. Problem fixed. No more TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light problem.

I am having a TPMS problem on my new 2007 Mazda3 GT. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. All four tires are holding pressure correctly. 32 psi when cold rising to about 34 - 35 psi when warm. The problem only occurs after the car has been driven for a period of time. The dealer said that a diagnostic scan indicated that the TPMS module was reading each tire pressure correctly, but the ID codes for each wheel sensor were not registered in the module. The dealer "registered" each wheel sensor and sent me on my way. The same TPMS warning light problem returned later the same day. No change. Do I have a defective wheel sensor or a defective receiver module? The dealer seems to want to use the "keep bringing it back and we'll check it" method. The problem is that most of the time just shutting off the engine for a few minutes resets the warning light only to have it return after the car is driven. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have the same problem

I have a 2006 Mazda3 5-door/hatchback. I have had the car in twice in the last week to resolve a TPMS sensor problem. I was also in twice last year (starting to think lemon law time...). I'll mention this potential RFI issue to them, maybe that will solve the problem. They still haven't fixed my suspension problem... Overall I like the car, but taking it in 9 times in two years to get services is atrocious.

TPMS problems.

Good info jcsarp !
After reading all these issues, I'm sorta glad the Canadian version doesn't have TPMS, and it would appear that RF interference may be the likely cause of all the problems.
Wunder if all the dealers are aware of the 'fix' ? (dunno)

OK, resurrecting this thread from the dead a bit here...

I just got my new (1 week old) MS3 back from the dealer with the exact same fault and solution. So far, it seems to have worked.

I had this issue when i bought my 2009. It was the rain sensor for the wipers causing the issue. Dealer ordered new sensor and problem has not returned in 5 months. Covered under warranty, no cost to me. No big deal. Problem fixed.

my tpms light keeps coming on every now and then when it's cold in the morning and then will sometimes stay on for days on end!

I checked my air and there are no leaks or low pressures. Mine are all at 34psi. But I will probably up them all to 36psi this weekend just to stop the annoyance of this light coming on and that beeping sound

Back