Coolant Bypass of Throttle body

noob2protege5

:
protege5
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

The premise is, hot coolant flows through the throttle body increasing the temperature of the air going into the engine. So, just stop the coolant from going into the throttle body.

Has anyone done this? if so, any diff? and general what do you think?

Let the talks begin(whitep5)

If you live in an area where it freezes during the winter, you need this, or your engine will run worse when its cold, that TB bypass helps heat the air up.

You want the air cool, but you dont want it too cold. For an NA car, I doubt youd feel any gain from removing it, other than cleaning out 2 rubber lines from the engine bay.

I doubt its even worth your time.

noob2protege5 said:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

The premise is, hot coolant flows through the throttle body increasing the temperature of the air going into the engine. So, just stop the coolant from going into the throttle body.

Has anyone done this? if so, any diff? and general what do you think?

Let the talks begin(whitep5)

Yeah, actually it is a common mod. Search on that and you will find all you want to know about it.

Luni said:
If you live in an area where it freezes during the winter, you need this, or your engine will run worse when its cold, that TB bypass helps heat the air up.

You want the air cool, but you dont want it too cold. For an NA car, I doubt youd feel any gain from removing it, other than cleaning out 2 rubber lines from the engine bay.

I doubt its even worth your time.
I've driven my car just fine in -20F temps quite a few times with the throttle body coolant passage bypassed, even before I was turboed. It isn't to heat the incoming air from what I've seen, it's just to prevent the throttle plate from possibly icing up and sticking.

Either way, you don't need to buy any kit to do the job. You just pull off a couple hoses, put a couple caps on a couple now open coolant fittings, and clamp down the caps. $3 in parts at an auto parts store.

Kansei said:
Either way, you don't need to buy any kit to do the job. You just pull off a couple hoses, put a couple caps on a couple now open coolant fittings, and clamp down the caps. $3 in parts at an auto parts store.

yeah, I was never planning on buying the mod. The ebay post made the mistake of picturing everything you need. ACE Hardware, here we come.(drive)

Kansei said:
I've driven my car just fine in -20F temps quite a few times with the throttle body coolant passage bypassed, even before I was turboed. It isn't to heat the incoming air from what I've seen, it's just to prevent the throttle plate from possibly icing up and sticking.

Ok, but the point is, it is a fairly pointless thing to do.

I just dont see why someone would want to go through the trouble of doing this. It gains you virtually nothing but those lines gone, which arent in the way really anyway.

You call that pointless? Check out the pic on the ad!
speed.jpg

You can CLEARLY go 167MPH w/ this mod!

:p

Welcome to the forums!

Luni said:
Ok, but the point is, it is a fairly pointless thing to do.

I just dont see why someone would want to go through the trouble of doing this. It gains you virtually nothing but those lines gone, which arent in the way really anyway.

Well some of us did it to free up those coolant fittings for other things (shady)

mmmmm snail (yes)

A mod easy enough for me not to screw up! Did it around the holidays, I already had cold start issues. I just let it warm up for a couple mins and shes good to go!

Free Mods FTW!

I just did it in my P5. But I did it when I installed OBX headers P&P intake manifold w/VTCS removal and thermal spacer all at the same time so I probably wouldn't be able to tell.

Only valid excuse Ive seen so far for this mod is to snatch the lines for a turbo.

In theory, the throttle body would be cooler. The air going in would cool it down, so any heat picked up from the heatsink effect of being bolted to the engine would be reduced. This should cause the air going into the intake manifold to be a little cooler than if the throttle body had hot engine coolant circulating through it. And we all know that cooler air is more dense, and will make more power. Hence the reason for a cold air intake. But how much of a difference does it actually make? We'll never really know unless someone checks it on a dyno. I probably won't go to the trouble unless I decide to go turbo and I need the coolant line for that.

I guarantee the fluctuation from one dyno session to the next will swallow any gains that this mod may or may not make.

Someone has had some success with using a ram air scoop and piping to feed into the outer shell of the throttle body on a 94-98 Mazda. The idea is that the air flow is able to take some of the heat out of the throttlebody. It wouldnt help much when you are sitting in traffic though.

Mr.Ames said:
i thought u only had to do this if u put in a throttle body spacer?

Do they make throttle body spacers? Is that supposed to help cool the TB and IM just like the IM thermal spacer? If so where can I get one??

Back