Urgent! Spare Tire Question

CChris704

Still miss my MSP...
:
2003.5 MSP Sunlight Silver
A kinda important question, what is the spare tire for our car rated at (mph and distance wise). My snow tire got a puncture in it when I hit a curb and I have about 200 miles to go until I can reach my summer wheels/tires

geomatics_tech said:
They are definitely not rated for highway speeds, Id stay below 80km/h or 50mph for sure.

correct.
if you're desperate, throw on a set of your summers in the interim.
Be very careful driving like that though.

the tire usualy has it's rated speed and tire pressure on the wall.

Most need to be @ 60psi and are ratted between 50 and 55mph.

going 200miles on a spare is, risky to say the least. if you make it to your summers you'll defentaly need a new spare as the one you rode on will almost certinally be bald. If it's possible, you might want to consider stopping @ a walmart or autozone and get that green slime stuff and try to repair your busted tire. emergency spares are really intented to get you to the nearest place to get your tire situation fixed, they're not ment for long distance travel, mostly because it's dangerous.

Last edited:
i'd put it on one of the back wheels if i could.. better to have full traction and better brakes since the front brake better as of engine being there and weight shift when braking..

oh and it might be better for your LSD too.. if you have a smaller diameter wheel on your slim spare than your normal winter tires, your screwed..

Actually, someone (show or magazine) did a test with a Corvette a few years ago. They slapped on a donut and performed the usual acceleration, braking and handling test. The numbers were only off by a fraction. The important thing though was that the spare did not explode or anything like that. But I think you're fine.

ps. I've seen cars that drive with the donut on all year round!...what tools.

Stormtrooper77 said:
Actually, someone (show or magazine) did a test with a Corvette a few years ago. They slapped on a donut and performed the usual acceleration, braking and handling test. The numbers were only off by a fraction. The important thing though was that the spare did not explode or anything like that. But I think you're fine.

ps. I've seen cars that drive with the donut on all year round!...what tools.
the corvette isn't a protege though, I bet those massive 12-14inch wide tires can handle having a donut slaped on. when I was ridding on my donut, anything above 60 was like ridding without any struts and the rear would slide back and forth (the donut was on a rear tire) if I didn't hold the steering wheel with a death grip.

Back