Anyone make the switch from MSP to Miata?

Lord_Zath said:
Yeah I really like the NB body styling over the original NA. Though that'sjust a personal preference!

Do you guys feel the Miata is underpowered? I test drove a used one and it seemed to feel similar to driving my p5...
what year did you drive? and was it stick or auto?

my '94 1.8 5-speed doesn't feel slow to me

I think it was an '02. It was an auto. I will likely be buying a stick, but the wife may want in on the driving (and I barely trust her to drive an auto!)

There's a thread over on Miata.net about auto vs manual. Don't read it. You'll want to gouge your eyes out.

What a waste of a perfectly good chassis....

I only have a couple posts in there. Mostly just stirring the pot because I'm bored @ work :D

Lord_Zath said:
Yeah I really like the NB body styling over the original NA. Though that'sjust a personal preference!

Do you guys feel the Miata is underpowered? I test drove a used one and it seemed to feel similar to driving my p5...

NB is my favorite, too... however, I must say my dads old '96 M-edition is the best looking miata i've ever put my eyes on... and its an NA... well, it was before he totalled it :(

as far as being "underpowered"... every time I post a faster time than a corvette or mustang at an autocross, I can't say as I think so...

however, after driving the RX7 a bit recently... I do wish i had a few more ponies under the hood of my mx-5... tho when I'm cornering hard, I can't say the lack of power reduces the fun I'm having, since the little roadster will just seriously outcorner anything else I've ever driven :)

I have to admit, the NB body is freakin sexy. But I love my little bare bones NA. Radio? Yeah (gotta listen to something on long trips to autocross), a/c? No. Cruise control? No. lol Only thing I kept was power steering, because it has a quicker ratio than the manual rack, which makes a difference w/ t3h autocross w/ quick transitions.

She's Right around 2150 in race trim (1/4 tank of fuel) even with the roll bar. I've taken out about everything else I can to still be class legal, except replace the battery w/ a lighter one. That will come...eventually.

See for me, I would like a car with a little more push to it. The p5 already handles well enough for me in the twisties. I want something with more power, no roof, and still good in the corners. And I don't want to slap a turbo into either the p5 or a non-ms miata either :). Smaller bolt-on mods like intake/header/exhaust, sure.

Last edited:
Lord_Zath said:
From reading that, I don't really get an idea of "omg, my auto miata suxxorz". So maybe an auto would be ok...
if all you're looking for is "ok", then perhaps it would work

auto = ok
manual = (drive)

Sorry Zath, that was more of a My auto's ok, you manual guys are such dicks vs My stick is far superior and your auto makes you a girl LOL

There are a couple on there about how bad the A/C affects the autos for example (as it does w/ any low power car robbed by an auto ;))

Lord_Zath said:
See for me, I would like a car with a little more push to it. The p5 already handles well enough for me in the twisties. I want something with more power, no roof, and still good in the corners. And I don't want to slap a turbo into either the p5 or a non-ms miata either :). Smaller bolt-on mods like intake/header/exhaust, sure.

turbo/supercharge... will fix that :)

I rarely drive my 97 between May-October. I drove it yesterday and was stomping the accelerator in 5th gear for a highway pass. I'm use to the extra torque on the MSM in 6th gear, which doesn't require a downshift. I never really noticed the lack of power on my 97 until recently. It doesn't bother me to have to downshift into 4th, but it's always convenient to have the power on tap, if needed.

I just saw this post and laughed to myself. I have a laser blue msp and just bought a 93 miata with hard top for 750 bucks. car needs a rad, front fenders, and that's about it. With luck you can have both.

Back