MS3 throwing MIL codes already

obaa996

My newish (~1kmiles) MS3 is flashing the check engine light already. I just changed the oil a day or so ago, and everything seemed fine, but then a day or so later, the check engine light came on. At first, I thought I might have overfilled the oil and caused some emissions issue, but the oil level was perfect. I took it down to an autoparts store to borrow their code scanner, and got the following:
P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1)
What the heck is that? I'd guess that there might be an issue with a variable length intake tract, except that I don't think the MS3 has one.
What's even more strange is that on the way home, I had to stop for gas; when I was leaving the station, I heard a *pop* come from the car, and then the light went out. I don't know what to make of it. Obviously, the car's still under warranty, but I'm pretty sure that if I brought it in, they'd say nothing's wrong with it. I'd like to get an idea of what the code really indicates, so I can at least check out the problem area. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Search the forum. This CEL is epidemic with the MS3. Your car needs a new manifold switch.

obaa996 said:
My newish (~1kmiles) MS3 is flashing the check engine light already. I just changed the oil a day or so ago, and everything seemed fine, but then a day or so later, the check engine light came on. At first, I thought I might have overfilled the oil and caused some emissions issue, but the oil level was perfect. I took it down to an autoparts store to borrow their code scanner, and got the following:
What the heck is that? I'd guess that there might be an issue with a variable length intake tract, except that I don't think the MS3 has one.
What's even more strange is that on the way home, I had to stop for gas; when I was leaving the station, I heard a *pop* come from the car, and then the light went out. I don't know what to make of it. Obviously, the car's still under warranty, but I'm pretty sure that if I brought it in, they'd say nothing's wrong with it. I'd like to get an idea of what the code really indicates, so I can at least check out the problem area. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

The majority of us MS3 owners (myself included) in the colder climate have experienced the same problem - just search for words MS3 CEL to see how many threads there are. The good news is that Mazda does have a fix for it, so you should take it to the dealership asap. *^_^*

Yep, take her in to the dealership. Before, there wasn't a new part for it and new holes were being drilled as an interim fix. But now a part is out and even if your CEL isn't on when you take it to the service dept., they can check the history of codes that have caused the CEL to light up.

I'm gettin my new part installed on Tuesday (hopefully!).

This should really be a recall, IMO.

the replacement part number you want is LEK9-20-170A (the "A" means revised part). someone had posted that number on another thread, my dealer didnt know there was a replacement part yet so i had them check this out. its on back order right now so you may have to ask them to look for you.

welcome to the club.

obaa996 said:

Thanks!
You sure didn't waste any time changing the oil. Whatever the "popping" sound was, I doubt it had anything to do with with the CEL going dark again. My CEL would come on and then go dark again after 3 days. When the service guy scanned it he could still see the code. I had the replacement part put on and all is well.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info; I should have tried searching first. I'm gonna call the dealership in about 10 mins...

When I purchased my MS3 last november, i had a CEL thrown. Dealer said it was a bad purge valve. W/e the hell that is. I was a previous owner of a m3 04' and never had a problem with it. Although dealer replaced the purge valve??? Car is running good.

Back