Paint Match HELP!!

GhostMercury

:
MazdaSpeed 3 08.5
Well I have to get my trunk painted because of some teenage prick that hit my trunk with a cro-bar or bat or something hard. And i went to the body shop and they told me i have to fade it into the paint. My oppinion on that is..**** NO. because i plan to bring my car to shows this summer and i dont want some jerk off messing up my paint. So those of you who have had hoods painted and stuff, how well were they able to paint match using the color code on the door? cause i am 95 percent against fading it into the paint cause thats the lazy way out.

If you give them the code, they'll make the paint the right color. They're probably saying they're gonna have to fade it because of the metal flake in the MSP yellow. Plus, the factory paint may have faded over the past 3 years. From a distance you won't be able to see the difference. The only time will probably be under certain lighting conditions at night.

o yea and forgot to mention. guess how much they wanted to fix my dent. (its about 8 inches tall and 5 inches wide. but i hit it out a bit so its pretty shallow)

1200 FREAKIN DOLLARS

When I had my MSP, I had some bodywork done on my blazin' yellow. They shot it 4 times and couldn't match it. They called Mazda and found it is a three-step procedure.
1.) Base coat
2.) Pinkish-pearlescent
3.) Clear coat.

It matched perfectly.
The bodyshop is Ratliff Body and Glass in Baldwyn, MS. Their number is 662-365-8245.

Maybe they can help you.

Good luck!

when they are talking about fading it, they mean they are going to blend the paint. that means they are not just going to paint that one spot they fix, they will spray the spot and blend it to (lets say its on the left side) left and maybe around to the rear fender. the trick is that paint doen't never match perfectly, it just an illusion to the eye.

i have a dent on my door and i was scared ot getting it fixed.. the "professionnals" i spoke to told me that they had to apint a bit of each side of the door in order to match it..

i walked out on it and never came back.. i prefer a dent over a half painted car any day.

s*** happens dude.. i feel for ya.. my dent was made in a repair shop for tires.. i was there and never saw the mechanic do it.. but they opened the door too much and bang..

Fr0st

A good painter will get it to match. They were not talking about not being able to obtain the paint to do the job. If you've never spent time in a body shop, I can understand your concern. Unless you are getting the whole car sprayed, its going to be blended. You cannot just paint the area with damage. That is just the way its done.

Paintless dent removal works too, just make sure the person doing it is not new and has several years of experience.

no when i say blend it i dont mean just blend the paint into the trunk. they want to blend the whole trunk lid into the bumper and fenders. not to mention this shop is a bunch of money hungry cock suckers cause they want 1200 dollars for it. 9 hours of labor to fix just the metal..thats not including paint. so i dont trust them. i will have to get a pic up but its hard to get a pic of

Price sounds right to me...If your not a painter..you might not want to jump to such conclusions.
first off...The Mazda's Mica paints are tricky to match to begin with...NO PAINT will ever match 100% to the factory spray....The goal is to make sure no one knows its been painted. And Blending of paint is the "PROPER" way of acheiving a match as well as an industry standard. You cant just do a full trunk lid paint and expect it to match like it cam from the showroom floor. ..Not likely to happen...Some paints will but most will not, and especially not pearly mica flakes. If the area was small enough, I would say they should be able to do all of the Blend work on the panel to maintain the factory panels around it by blending out to the factory color at the edges. I think you were expecting it to be cheaper and now that its time to pay the bill ,you are upset and are hoping these guys are wrong. You might get it done cheaper..but remember..you get what you pay for..and you look at your car everyday. Could you stand to stare at that mistake daily?

I've had paintwork done on my Spicy twice now. The first time it was "panel painted" and not blended into the rest of the paint. The cost was about $600 for a front fender and front door. The paint was off a half-shade and it's quite noticeable to me. Not as much to everyone else, but some see it. The paint they used was a 2-stage process, not a 3-stage like we had. Yes, it was the same paint code, but it didn't match.

The second time was when both doors got carved up by a vandal on the driver's side. The shop charged my insurance $700 to paint both doors and blend it into the front and rear fenders. The paint matched better this time, however it's a lighter shade than the factory Spicy. In the sun you can't tell because it was a Sikkens 3-stage process like it should be, and it has a ton of mica in it. In the sun it's a perfect match. The blend job they did was awesome, and nobody has noticed it other than me.

I would definitely get another estimate, and don't be afraid to ask around for references and also look at their work. If a car they just pulled out looks good to you, then you'll probably be happy with their work.

$1,200 sounds a bit steep to me, but there's a fair amount of blending that will have to be done. Good luck, because your yellow is about as hard to match as my orange.

Back