Custom Performance Engineering's complete SPEED6 tuning solution

VinnieBeachbum said:
are you going to be able to get control of the throttle on the speed6 also? more trottle more fuel more air more boom!

The short answer to that question is yes we will be able to control the throttle plate, but just not with this box. Our piggyback for the SPEED3, which will control the throttle plate, will be applied to the SPEED6 at some point down the road.

Jordan

matsuda said:
For a variety of reasons, it would be nice if your box was also tied into the knock sensor.

Actually, several input pins to the box were left open for this very reason. We can easily tie into other sensors if we want to. I like this idea, so I'm going to pass it on to our electrical engineer and see if that's a possibility.

In the box's current state it can log the following:

- RPM
- MAF voltage (incoming and outgoing)
- MAP voltage (incoming and outgoing)
- MAP pressure in psi
- TPS voltage
- Ignition timing (incoming and outgoing)
- Wastegate solenoid position (indicated on a scale from 0-255)
- Injector pulse width
- Proportional, integral, and derivative feedback loop control error
- Battery voltage

VinnieBeachbum said:
CP-E can I see your box I have something hard to put in it(poke) (hitit2)

(help)

No no, it's not that kind of box! (monkey2)

Jordan

Are you implicating a second release? If so do initial buyers have to buy a new unit or can we upgrade for the throttle functionality? The throttle plate seems pretty important if you ask me. Even the smallest of limitations regarding volume I would consider a showstopper. Turbo's are meant to feed air...just don't see why Mazda would try and stop it???

I am sad to see the lengths Mazda has gone to control limitations with this car. The MS6 has great potential. Looks like we may be able to get past the factory hindered potential!

I am almost 100% onboard however I don't want to purchase a second unit and be stuck with release 1 that nobody will ever care about again.

Great approach! All MS6 owners have nothing but questions so this is truely a godsend.

www.cp-e.com said:
Actually, several input pins to the box were left open for this very reason. We can easily tie into other sensors if we want to. I like this idea, so I'm going to pass it on to our electrical engineer and see if that's a possibility.

Jordan

Excellent, and in line with the CP-E philosophy of doing stuff that works well over the long haul. If it works out it will be yet another reason to stick with you guys.

Well played, Matsuda-san! I like your style, stepping in here and there at just the right moment with the gentle corrective. I believe you are a force for good despite your covert corporate status.

DotNet said:
Are you implicating a second release? If so do initial buyers have to buy a new unit or can we upgrade for the throttle functionality? The throttle plate seems pretty important if you ask me. Even the smallest of limitations regarding volume I would consider a showstopper. Turbo's are meant to feed air...just don't see why Mazda would try and stop it???

I am sad to see the lengths Mazda has gone to control limitations with this car. The MS6 has great potential. Looks like we may be able to get past the factory hindered potential!

I am almost 100% onboard however I don't want to purchase a second unit and be stuck with release 1 that nobody will ever care about again.

Great approach! All MS6 owners have nothing but questions so this is truely a godsend.

Hah, you know exactly where I'm going with this. I didn't want to go into a whole lot of detail since we haven't finalized our plans yet. But we're considering offerring this unit for an MSRP of about $600, and then if you'd like to upgrade to the new unit, we'll offer a core refund if you send us back the old board. We're going to ensure that if you buy the first unit, the second unit will be cheaper than if you hadn't bought the first one in the first place. Anyway, by the time you finally get your car dialed in the way you like it and get used to the software interface, it will be time to upgrade to the new board.

Regarding the throttle plate issue, you're right on in that throttle limitations are bad. The reason we're willing to live with it for now on the SPEED6 is because it doesn't seem to really limit boost pressure at all. Any drop in boost pressure (assuming the turbo is capable of supplying the engine with the requisite air) can be seen as an indication that the engine is choked by a partially closed throttle blade, and there will be a subsequent drop in the volumetric efficiency. Since the boost pressure doesn't drop until just near the redline, there is no impact on the VE below the redline where most of the engine operation takes place. So yes, getting control of the throttle is a goal of ours, but we believe at least on the SPEED6, that the throttle games it plays are nearly inconsequential. But of course when we release the second board revision we'll enable e-throttle control.

And we're stumpted as to why Mazda included all these limitation in the system too. I'm sure Mazda corporate hates seeing their brand new cars modified (read: warrantry concerns), so maybe that has something to do with it. But either way, we'll get around it and get the most out of this car because you're 100% correct, this thing could be a monster.

desperado-c said:
Excellent, and in line with the CP-E philosophy of doing stuff that works well over the long haul. If it works out it will be yet another reason to stick with you guys.

Well played, Matsuda-san! I like your style, stepping in here and there at just the right moment with the gentle corrective. I believe you are a force for good despite your covert corporate status.

(drinks)

Jordan

I'm Big time interested in this product. I really like the data logging functions.
The closed loop control of boost ROCKS!!!!

By the way can you run the boost control open loop if you choose?

Interesting point here is the XEDE dyno shows about 50+ HP gain on a stock MS3 and they are NOT controlling the throttle. If CP-E is going to also control the throttle, then I would expect HP gains to be on par or greater than 50 HP. I think they are both great products and I'm excited that there will be at least 2 offerings for good performance increases on the MS3.

For me, like a lot of other people on the forum, it's gotta be plug n play. If my car was out of warranty it wouldn't really matter, but everyone with a MS3 has almost all of their warranty remaining now.

Thanks for the great post and all the work you guys are doing!!!! :)

Yea my tax refund can't wait to be spent when this goes pnp. :):):):)

flyrevs said:
I'm Big time interested in this product. I really like the data logging functions.
The closed loop control of boost ROCKS!!!!

By the way can you run the boost control open loop if you choose?

Interesting point here is the XEDE dyno shows about 50+ HP gain on a stock MS3 and they are NOT controlling the throttle. If CP-E is going to also control the throttle, then I would expect HP gains to be on par or greater than 50 HP. I think they are both great products and I'm excited that there will be at least 2 offerings for good performance increases on the MS3.

For me, like a lot of other people on the forum, it's gotta be plug n play. If my car was out of warranty it wouldn't really matter, but everyone with a MS3 has almost all of their warranty remaining now.

Thanks for the great post and all the work you guys are doing!!!! :)

Yea my tax refund can't wait to be spent when this goes pnp. :):):):)

Thanks for the compliments!! (headbang)

I hear you on the PnP issue. Unfortunately we're in a tough spot where we have very little control over the suppliers for those connectors. We're going through all the appropriate channels, but if that doesn't work we have another option. Hopefully we'll get a definite answer soon so we can start working on plan B. We'll see what we can do!

Jordan

flyrevs said:
I'm Big time interested in this product. ....

Interesting point here is the XEDE dyno shows about 50+ HP gain on a stock MS3 and they are NOT controlling the throttle. If CP-E is going to also control the throttle, then I would expect HP gains to be on par or greater than 50 HP. ....

One thing I like about CP-E is they are not out for the biggest HP gains. The off-the-top of the head estimates are 20-30 whp from this mod for the 6, anyway. Maybe a little more for the 3 since it starts out lower? Personally, I don't think we should hold them to the bleeding edge standard of 50+ whp just from a single mod on an FWD car. We all want more power, but I think what CP-E is after is a smoother, fatter curve that makes the additional power more useable. If the unit comes with a base map ready to lay down an additional 30-35 whp, maybe 40-45 with a CAI, in a nice, fat powerband, I'll be very happy to get that for my $600 ($700 for PnP?). Besides, if you want a more radical tune, you know you're gonna tune it yourself, anyway.

Last edited:
desperado-c said:
One thing I like about CP-E is they are not out for the biggest HP gains. The off-the-top of the head estimates are 20-30 whp from this mod. Personally, I don't think we should hold them to the bleeding edge standard of 50+ whp just from a single mod on an FWD car. We all want more power, but I think what CP-E is after is a smoother, fatter curve that makes the additional power more useable. If the unit comes with a base map ready to lay down an additional 30-35 whp, maybe 40-45 with a CAI, in a nice, fat powerband, I'll be very happy to get that for my $600 ($700 for PnP?). Besides, if you want a more radical tune , you know you're gonna tune it yourself, anyway.
I agree with you, my point in mentioning the XEDE was that with CP-E controlling the throttle position, it should in theory put out more than the unit not controlling the throttle. I'm not holding them to any specific level, just that it should be better with the throttle control. :):):)

Kind of makes me wonder how XEDE gets 57 HP WITHOUT throttle control.... :confused:

If you look at the xede graphs the power band is pretty much the same as stock, but with 50 more horses. If you can control throttle, the car could maintain power all the way up to redline and come on lower as well. Can you imagine how nice the ms3 would drive with a much broader powerband. Right now I feel like I have to shift to much and am still getting used to shifting before the throttle takes away all of my power. If CPE can accomplish this I will be very impressed and forced to buy one.

dread said:
If you look at the xede graphs the power band is pretty much the same as stock, but with 50 more horses. If you can control throttle, the car could maintain power all the way up to redline and come on lower as well. Can you imagine how nice the ms3 would drive with a much broader powerband. Right now I feel like I have to shift to much and am still getting used to shifting before the throttle takes away all of my power. If CPE can accomplish this I will be very impressed and forced to buy one.

I could not agree with you more! I will be very impressed and forced to buy one also. Looks like this is goin to be a really fun summer (hopefully spring too)........:):):)

flyrevs said:
I agree with you, my point in mentioning the XEDE was that with CP-E controlling the throttle position, it should in theory put out more than the unit not controlling the throttle. I'm not holding them to any specific level, just that it should be better with the throttle control. :):):)

Kind of makes me wonder how XEDE gets 57 HP WITHOUT throttle control.... :confused:

mmmm imagine 50whp gain along with having a powerband all the way to redline finally... that'd be awesome.... (humpleg)

flyrevs said:

Me, too. That said, sure is nice to have a choice! Nice to be an MS3 owner. Now if it they could just get access to PnP components for those of us who are warranty wusses . . ..

OK here is what I consider some good questions for cp-e.

Can the AWD distribution be manually controlled through this system or something similar? From what I know the AWD system is controlled by the computer.

Can this system be set up to automatically turn the DSC off? I hate having an electronic baby sitter, if I want it I should have to turn it on.

Cool, CP-E is jumping in with some heavy hitting tech about the cars.

Nice work.

Back