Premium or Regular Gas?

Brian MP5T said:
Octaine Additive.

That was my next question: do those octane boosts really work and might that be a solution.

I'm taking that as a yes. Can you recommend a particular brand or any to avoid?

They do not replace Permium gas.

Premium also has the benifit of being a more refined product (Hence The Name)

It has less sulfer etc which are better for your engine.

That being said, the additives will prove to be expensive...

They are all quite generic except some like "NOS" are marketed with 16 year old shitbird wanna be "Brian Speilmans" who drive POS 1.6l V-Tec powered Shitmobiles with the bad doors falling off and a bad fart cannon epoxy glued up it's rear (If you catch my drift)

:)

Translated - Don't be fooled by hype...

Thanks for the colorful description and the rest of the info. I do buy the best gas we have in town, which is either chevron or shell, to try to capture at least some benefits of what passes for premium here.

Premium gas ($2.59/gallon here in KY) is cheaper than Diet Coke ($3.70 here in KY at Wally World). Are you, like, a total cheapskate, or what? Give up a pizza a month, and feed the ponies!

azcat said:
Premium gas ($2.59/gallon here in KY) is cheaper than Diet Coke ($3.70 here in KY at Wally World). Are you, like, a total cheapskate, or what? Give up a pizza a month, and feed the ponies!
Haha, that's some great attitude.

giddyup said:
And Platonium, I really dont appreciate being called ignorant. If you want to contribute some info into this matter thats fine but the next time you feel the need to insult someone I suggest you shut the f*** up!

I'm not here to piss people off or get into battles. If you felt I was calling YOU ignorant, than I owe you an apology. I stand by my description of using 87 octane gas in an engine where premium is required, (or at least highly recommended), is indeed ignorant.
I don't know you, so I have no right to say what I think of you, but I can have and share my opinion of your behavior on this board.

I know other engines.. Subaru WRX, Audi...

They recommend 91 octane. It seems like in the CX-7 manual they Require it.

So is the sensor system in the Mazda not as advanced as other cars.

On our Subaru and on my old Audi,iIf you use 87, the engine is suppose to have sensors that can detect knock from lower grades of fuel, and reduce performance so their is no damage to the engine. It isn't supposed to hurt the engine in any way, just the performance will be reduced.

From the manual... It doesn't say anything about any permanent damage from using 87 octane. It does mention it for gas with more then 10% ethanol though.

Here is the excerp from the manual:
Your Mazda will perform best with fuel listed in the table.
Fuel Octane Rating*(Anti-knock index)
Premium unleaded fuel 91 [ (R+M)/2 method] or above (96 RON or above)
* U.S. federal law requires that octane ratings be posted on gasoline station pumps.
This vehicle is designed for and requires use of premium unleaded fuel. If 91 octane fuel [
(R+M)/2 method] (96RON) is not available, gasoline as low as 87 octane [ (R+M)/2
method] (91RON) can be used temporarily for emergency purposes. Use of gasoline lower
than 91 octane [ (R+M)/2 method] (96RON) can decrease performance and deteriorate shift
quality during its use. Refueling the vehicle with the correct octane fuel a couple of times
will restore vehicle performance and shift quality.

mogulman said:
I know other engines.. Subaru WRX, Audi...

They recommend 91 octane. It seems like in the CX-7 manual they Require it.

So is the sensor system in the Mazda not as advanced as other cars.

On our Subaru and on my old Audi,iIf you use 87, the engine is suppose to have sensors that can detect knock from lower grades of fuel, and reduce performance so their is no damage to the engine. It isn't supposed to hurt the engine in any way, just the performance will be reduced.

Same applies in the Mazda; the ecu detects the lower octane and switches to "emergency mode". Basically that entails a drop in performance and boost, so that there is no long term damage. The manual states this and also says that after filling with a couple of tanks of premium to purge the system, performance should return to normal.

me and my wife took a trip to oklahoma recently for a wedding, along the way we stop at a gas station, we're running really low on gas, and have no idea where the next station would come, but all they have is 87 and 89. We fill up halfway with the 89, and hope for the best. the car on the road is fine for a while at first. then when you go to speed up to pass, not flooring it or anything, just gently giving it some gas, theres a very loud knocking sound from the engine bay, like if some dwarf was in there with a hammer, pounding away. The car feels like my turbo fell asleep, there was no power. happened every time i would start to accelerate while cruising. didn't sound like it was doing ANYTHING good for my engine. so as soon as we came to the next gas station, filled it up with premium. so thats what happend to my MS6 with low octane. hope this helps anyone thinking about using less than the recommended gas in a cx7

Back