how to change valve springs

tekkie

Contributor
:
Spicy MSP
Carbon Turbo CX5
well I decided to swap my valve springs to Eibach springs, it was not as easy as I thought it would be so I thought this might help out some people in the future :)

first what you need
1) small light will help
2) some white grease
3) channel locks
4) valve spring compressor, I got this one from sears for 20 bucks
5) a small flat screwdriver that has a magnetic tip
6) another couple flat screwdrivers to help move the pipe around
7) 1/2" pvc piping I used as a spacer since the springs are hard to get out
8) not necessary but the beer helped, does not matter which brand:D

IMG_3263-vi.jpg

ok so onto the install, obviously first you need to have the head out and the cam gears removed

first pull out the keepers with the channel locks, they slide out very easily, you dont need to squeeze very hard you could probably take them out with your fingers if you could get at them, or even better use a magnet and it will take it out

THIS PART IS VERY IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE YOU LABEL THEM IN SOME WAY SO YOU KNOW WHICH ONES GO BACK WHERE, THE SHIMS ARE CUSTOMIZED ON EACH.
IMG_3256-vi.jpg

IMG_3257-vi.jpg

put the plastic spacer in and tighten up the end
IMG_3264-vi.jpg

next tigten up the other end

IMG_3266-vi.jpg

so now it looks like this

IMG_3265-vi.jpg

tighten it down and now you can see inside to remove the clips
IMG_3267-vi.jpg

use the magnetic tip to pull them out
IMG_3268-vi.jpg

the spring looks like this
IMG_3269-vi.jpg

comparison of the 2
IMG_3272-vi.jpg

put the spring back in and put the retainer over it, compress it back in the same way you removed it then put the clips back in, the thicker end is towards you
IMG_3274-vi.jpg

IMG_3273-vi.jpg

now it looks like this
IMG_3275-vi.jpg

now all you have to do is release the compressor slowly and then put the keepers back in

pretty simple but omg getting those clips back in place can be very time consuming and frustrating, hence the beer :)

Last edited:
Well then. o_O I don't think I'll "upgrade" my valve springs anytime soon. :) Maybe if I zoom zoom boom and have a spare engine laying around.

not sure of the results yet guys I have not put the motor back together yet :)

I am sure it will lose hp to some degree but the reason I put these in is to avoid valve float, although nobody seems to have had it that I know of I dont want to be the first ;)

btw I took my head to a machine shop to be certain that everything was good with the valves and they said that 2 of the shims were to big and are changing them :)

In relation to everything else, where are the valve seals located? I'm having my head done and I dont know if I wanna have them change the seals or do it myself...

Back