70-80mph AFR???

Bigg Tim

:
MazdaSpeed 6
So I have been helping ebenzo with his turbo'd P5, he has a narrowband O2 gauge in his car and when he hits 70-80 MPH, his AFR stays at rich. Has anyone with a narrowband gauge seen this before? It seems odd that it doesn't cycle at this MPH, when mine still cycles. The closed/open loop point shouldn't be MPH based, it should be load based and he barely had his foot on the gas, so he should have been in closed loop still.

We just replaced his O2's trying to fix his issues and so far they seem to have helped, but it's still too early to tell. He needs to get more drive cycles on there and let the ECU learn what's doin. He has the turbo on his car but no EMS right now while we troubleshoot it. I took the MPI off until his car quits getting a rich code and a misfire code so we can get it working RIGHT, and then put it back on so we can tune.

It sounds like my car, on my wideband at about 80 mph with a partial throttle my car is in the 10's. I think that my bov is leaking right around that point, and the maf as already read that air. This is my theory on it, maybe tighten down his bov a little more and see what happens.

gboromsp said:
It sounds like my car, on my wideband at about 80 mph with a partial throttle my car is in the 10's. I think that my bov is leaking right around that point, and the maf as already read that air. This is my theory on it, maybe tighten down his bov a little more and see what happens.

He's running a BPV and we put a vacuum pump on it and it holds vacuum. The BPV was suspect before and I thought this was a good test. Maybe it is leaking from the other side of the diaphram???

I guess he needs to do the carb cleaner test on vacuum lines and see what happens. You're running the AFC now right? So that would be changing things in your car and you've got an MSP, so the car has a completely different fuel map in the car. He has no EMS and is running the stock ECU only, so there's difference, but the leak thing sounds valid. Thanks!

Tim I don't know if this helps but here are my last dyno charts at Arizona Dyno Chip.

My A/F is on there.
dyno%20Protege%20Jan%2022%2005%20(Medium).jpg
dyno%20p5%2001.22%20(Medium)%20(2).jpg

my 2002 es that is not turbo does the same thing. Around 75-80 mph, it will stay rich on the narrowband. i did find that if i used premium instead of regular, it stays rich much less at that cruisng speed than with regular. if i would let off the gas pedal and than go back to the same amount of gas as before, the gauge will start bouncing again. than after a couple minutes, it would stay rich again. i dunno, its weird.
craig

BBSF2 said:
my 2002 es that is not turbo does the same thing. Around 75-80 mph, it will stay rich on the narrowband. i did find that if i used premium instead of regular, it stays rich much less at that cruisng speed than with regular. if i would let off the gas pedal and than go back to the same amount of gas as before, the gauge will start bouncing again. than after a couple minutes, it would stay rich again. i dunno, its weird.
craig

that's exactly what happen's with mine.
at the same amount of speed. i have to run the highest octane cuz i am turbo. it is weird. not even the mazda dealer could firguer it out.

big timm, did the new oxygen sensor fix this problem? thanks alot
craig

i was thinkin that too, bc my narrowband did the exact same thing as his, just alot more frequently. crusing, sometimes it would happen at 30-40 miles an hour. this time, a check engine light came on after the gauge stayed on the rich side for about 5 seconds. i will go to autozone tomorow and find out what it is, and then i shall report back!
craig

Mine does this too. I'm running a WB and it goes pig rich over 80mph. (can't imagine what this does for fuel economy)

From what I remeber ALL the FS-DE's do that. That's why highway milage above 65 sucks. ECU goes into open loop or something.

went to autozone, found out my second 02 sensor had no activity, (stuipid mil eliminator). so i took it out and now am trying the antifouler method, but i still have the same problem with the a/f ratio, but i guess its not that big of a deal. oh well, gotta love the mazda.

yup mine is still doing it no matter what i do or fiz

o'well like u said gotta love the mazda's

Back