Retract caliper piston

benbike

:
2003.5 titanium MSP
How do I retract the piston on my rear caliper? I use to own a P5 and there was a allen bolt to retract de piston...but on my MSP.....

And for the front brake I must use a C-Clamp right?

benbike said:
How do I retract the piston on my rear caliper? I use to own a P5 and there was a allen bolt to retract de piston...but on my MSP.....

And for the front brake I must use a C-Clamp right?

the caliper on the MSp are not the same as the P5

you can use the c clamp for the rear also that's what i did, it made it really easy. Or you can take a pair of pliars and turn and push it in at the same time....but that will take you longer and is harder.

Use pliers and turn it back in. If you look at the caliper, you'll see two grooves where the pilers can hold on to.

Do NOT force them back in.

t3ase said:
Use pliers and turn it back in. If you look at the caliper, you'll see two grooves where the pilers can hold on to.

Do NOT force them back in.

you have to force them or they will not go back in......my friend was sitting there turning it for 30 mins and it didn't go anywhere until he pushed them in while turning.

If you're using pliers or the SST correctly, it will go in on it's own. You don't want to force anything when it comes to the calipers.

Chojin said:
Hey Guys -

MSP DISC PAD INSTALLATION:

- Push the piston fully inward using the Special Service Tool - substitute Needle Nose Pliers for SST.

- To do this, turn the piston clock-wise until it is in far enough to install disc pads.

- Install the disc pads.

Hope this helps.

-Shawn

Taken from http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44407&highlight=t3ase+brake way back in the day. As mentioned there and from previous trouble with my brother's car a long time ago, ABS is very picky and sensitive to repair work. I won't ever start shoving stuff around on a car with ABS ever again.

My rear pads are done, now for the front, the only way a can figure is to use c-clamp....no allen key or groove on the piston.......

Maybe this was a bad thing, but with the old pads in I put a wedge between 'em and, well, forced them back in. Gently and gradually, and while monitoring the fluid level in the reservoir to avoid overflowing. Worked fine, brakes all work with the new pads, no problems, ABS still functional.

Was I bad? Lucky?

I think you're fine, I just would avoid it.

I'm sure there have been thousands of others that do the same thing. Just one of those things where it only takes once and you learn. *shrug*

Last edited:
You dont need to do any s*** like that.

The allen head bolt to adjust the park brake was the only thing that I needed and then it simply retracted with minimal force.

Brian MP5T said:
You dont need to do any s*** like that.

The allen head bolt to adjust the park brake was the only thing that I needed and then it simply retracted with minimal force.

No he doesn't need any "s***" like that. But, it's a lot easier than using a pair of needle nose pliars. You might want to not he's not talking about a P5's rear calipers. The MSP's don't have the allen screw to adjust that the P5 does.

You can get that tool at most auto parts stores. I have one, and it was a good investment because you can use it on most cars that have rear calipers. We used it on my old Supra, my friends S4, and my friends Spec-V. Soon it will be time to use it on the MSP.

Back