Crossmember damage?

Moonman8

:
2003 MP5-T
I was under my car today checking things out and I noticed something that I didn't quite like. The metal crossmember that spans left to right just to the rear of the engine compartment had an indentation in it. It's almost like someone tried jacking the car up from that spot because the indent is about the same shape and size as the cup on a floor jack (the part of the jack that contacts the car).

It's not too bad, not a noticeable bend in the crossmember, and if it is bent, I couldn't tell with my naked eye.

Is there anything that could be effected by this? The rigidity of the crossmember didn't seem to be effected but my worry is similar to "Is my frame damaged?" Would this cause any problems?

Thanks to anyone who can calm me down about this.

here's your answer:
protege4pointbar-detail.jpg

Thanks guys. I was thinking about stiffening up the car anyway, so I might invest in that GT-Spec piece for fun.

cable43 said:
DO IT
I got one:
They're GREAT!!!!!!!!!

How's the install? Simply unbolt crossmember, bolt in gt-spec bar?

I haven't really looked in that area other than inspecting that damn indent, so I'm curious as to how hard and/or intensive the install would be.

Moonman8 said:
How's the install? Simply unbolt crossmember, bolt in gt-spec bar?

I haven't really looked in that area other than inspecting that damn indent, so I'm curious as to how hard and/or intensive the install would be.

4 bolts.....easy as hell

cable43 said:
DO IT
I got one:
They're GREAT!!!!!!!!!

cable -

I just checked in on the Edo Performance thread and Antoine closed it for their lack of vendor renewal. Anyway, their posted picture was of a 4-point ladder bar (the same as the picture you posted above) but they don't have a price listed for a 4-point ladder bar. If you have this piece, where did you get it? I found it at Corksport for $145 without shipping. Is there anywhere else that sells a lot of GT-Spec stuff cheaper than Corksport? I was just a little pissed that Edo's pictures and price listings didn't match because I really wanted to jump on a 4-point ladder bar for $60! Anyone with info on this please chime in. Thanks.

Moonman8 said:
cable -

I just checked in on the Edo Performance thread and Antoine closed it for their lack of vendor renewal. Anyway, their posted picture was of a 4-point ladder bar (the same as the picture you posted above) but they don't have a price listed for a 4-point ladder bar. If you have this piece, where did you get it? I found it at Corksport for $145 without shipping. Is there anywhere else that sells a lot of GT-Spec stuff cheaper than Corksport? I was just a little pissed that Edo's pictures and price listings didn't match because I really wanted to jump on a 4-point ladder bar for $60! Anyone with info on this please chime in. Thanks.

Sorry about that, Moonman8. We revised the thread and the 4 point ladder sold the same day.

Street Unit will be having a GT Spec Group Buy very soon. PM me if you want to be notified when it starts.

I'd change it because it supports the entire suspension (Brace)

If it's dented, it could pull your car out of alignment..

RaiderMP5 said:
Street Unit will be having a GT Spec Group Buy very soon. PM me if you want to be notified when it starts.

Yeah, I had seen that post in the Vendor/GB section and I was probably going to pick up the 4-point ladder bar from Street Unit. It's credit card time again! Damn it, I wish I made more money. Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions.

Moonman8 said:
Yeah, I had seen that post in the Vendor/GB section and I was probably going to pick up the 4-point ladder bar from Street Unit. It's credit card time again! Damn it, I wish I made more money. Thanks guys for all the input and suggestions.

Cool deal. Let me know if I can help with anything you want to get from Street Unit.

Take it easy,
Eric

RaiderMP5 said:
Cool deal. Let me know if I can help with anything you want to get from Street Unit.

Take it easy,
Eric

Thanks Raider. Right now I'm just curious as to when the GB is going to start and what their price is going to be on the 4-point ladder bar. The SU website price is $153 so hopefully it will be a lot lower if enough people sign up.

I also wanted to pick up a set of the low-beam (H7) Luminics bulbs but I can't decide between Titanium White and Ultra White. Not sure which will look better but on the SU website, Titanium White = $40 and Ultra White = $25 (bit of a price difference though, wouldn't you say?).

Back