Coolant levels after a hard run?

Jeph

:
2002 ES-T (dead)
I popped my hood tonite after pounding on it fairly hard, and i noticed that my coolant bottle was way above full, and normally after i pop the hood after regular driving i'm right at the full line. What should my coolant be at after a good romping?

I noticed this morning without driving it very hard that the collant level was pretty high as well. I dunno, the car goes into the shop tomorrow for some fine tuning anyways, so i'll have them check it out.

So shops analysis-Blown headgasket+turbo=too much pressure for the engine, and thats why the coolant is high all the time, and i have a small oil leak...
Now I don't have oil in the coolant, or foaming coolant in the oil. SOO i think the head gasket is fine.
Plus they said my cars perfectly driveable until i get it fixed as long as i make sure there is enough oil in the engine.
But if i had a blown head gasket, i'd have all the symptoms above, plus i don't think my car would run. It would smoke, and not run well at all.

very true. i hope you don't trust that mechanic very well, b/c it sounds like he's trying to screw you over hardcore!
Those are NOT the symptoms of a blown head gasket. You'd see white smoke (coolant) in your exhuast. You'd be LOSING coolant, not having high levels. Something might be causing high heat, but most likely not a blown head gasket. And unless your turbo is screaming, leave it. period.
just my .02
-Mateo

Thanks, I generally trust this guy, but he's more of my wheel and tire guy. So i just took it in to get my tire fixed, and asked him to take a look. He never charges me for things like that.
I'm going to take a ton of carb cleaner to the engine, and try and firgure out where my oil leaks coming from. I do have one, because it is covering the left side of my engine, and i can see it on the lower intercooler pipes as well.
HOPEFULLY its not real serious. I so SO wanted to romp on it tonight. Of course the night i can't run it hard, i want to the most right? That integra would've gotten stomped, and almost did and i was only going to 4500 rpms heh

yellerandahalfThose are NOT the symptoms of a blown head gasket. You'd see white smoke (coolant) in your exhuast. You'd be LOSING coolant said:
I am not saying the this is his problem, but a head gasket can leak compression into the cooling system under boost. Cooling system runs around 15psi. Under boost you compression can be over 10 times that amount. That would cause air in the cooling system. The level would go up.

Are you running the stock head bolts or aftermarket head studs?

MPNick said:
I am not saying the this is his problem, but a head gasket can leak compression into the cooling system under boost. Cooling system runs around 15psi. Under boost you compression can be over 10 times that amount. That would cause air in the cooling system. The level would go up.

Are you running the stock head bolts or aftermarket head studs?

that's a good point, nick. does the level show a general increase or just after the run, then cools down to a natural level? I'd be inclined to think it was just caused by slightly higher temperatures.
-Mateo

I didn't do the build myself. Beau did it, but i'm sure he torqued it down to specs.

Jeph said:
Hey mx3, are oyu on aim?

I hardly get on anymore but my sn is "marcgerth". Feel free to PM me, that's the easiest way to contact me usually.

Ahhh ok, well I think i've narrowed down my oil problem maybe. But the coolant level still baffles me.
My friends thought: Its colder so i don't have as much coolant actively flowing through my system. I dunno though, seems too easy of a solution.

Back