Using a 1.8 ignition coil on a 1.6

TStar

Contributor
:
2002 EDM 323F
hi, i got to try again...

i'm interested doing a smaller modification...
i got myself an ignition coil from the 1.8liter FP engine and want to use it on the 1.6 ZM engine... ( background )
today i talked to a mech about this; he wasn't really happy about that..
he said that i must be careful to use the right spark plugs with that ignition coil and it might not be safe to use that combination of coil+plugs for my engine for i might burn a hole into one of my pistons easily...

anybody firm in those matters?

i'd like to see how you wire it up......I dont think the spark plugs are going to be an issue...using 1.6L spark plugs in an FP or FS is actually kind of an "upgrade", as the plug goes deeper into the cylinder and and is supposed to help burn the fuel more completely....Assuming the ECU accepts the FP coil it sounds like a good idea

My guess, after having switched from 1.8l to 2.0l coils, is that it will make no difference whatsoever. Why the switch? What do you expect to gain?

glyph said:
My guess, after having switched from 1.8l to 2.0l coils, is that it will make no difference whatsoever. Why the switch? What do you expect to gain?

reliability for one....the coils sitting directly over the plugs bakes the coil , as it sits right on the cam cover

they can be relocated using any method you desire. The 99 model 1.8 engine had them mounted to the front of the block. I went with the Hotwires which work with the 2.0l coils, and I modified their bracket to stick my 2.0L coils off to the side, out of the way of the turbo. If you want the 1.8 coils, be sure to get the bracket that mounts them as well, and make sure there is nothing else in the way.

Early on, there was a recall on the 1.8L coils, because in rare circumstances they were able to foul the catalytic converters somehow. I doubt that is likely to happen here, but it is a risk.

Are you having problems with your coils? I have not heard of an issue with the coils located where they are. All the 01-03 coils are located like that.

glyph said:
they can be relocated using any method you desire. The 99 model 1.8 engine had them mounted to the front of the block. I went with the Hotwires which work with the 2.0l coils, and I modified their bracket to stick my 2.0L coils off to the side, out of the way of the turbo. If you want the 1.8 coils, be sure to get the bracket that mounts them as well, and make sure there is nothing else in the way.

Early on, there was a recall on the 1.8L coils, because in rare circumstances they were able to foul the catalytic converters somehow. I doubt that is likely to happen here, but it is a risk.

Are you having problems with your coils? I have not heard of an issue with the coils located where they are. All the 01-03 coils are located like that.

were talking about a 1.6L...you can NOT simply relocate the coils

...also as far as the recall if you purchase the coil new, that is a moot point,as you will get the part(the correctly functioning one) they were replacing the old coils with during the recall.

sorry, your right. You have to buy replacement ignition wires like the Hotwires to relocate on a 01-03 1.6l. The 99 1.6l also had them mounted in front. There are ways around it though, you aren't completely limited. The 01-03 2.0 coils are reportedly more powerful than the 1.8L coils, and I am thinking they are the same coils in the 01-03 1.6L, so you would be getting less powerful coils... possibly. Not entirely sure as I have never seen the specs.

i will try to reach one of the taiwanese guys who modified the ignition in that manner...

Back