Headlight Issues

yesd0g

:
'02 Protege MP5
Hello all, New member here. Iv e got an 02 MP5 with 76,000 miles on it, and i go through headlight bulbs every six months or so. As a comparison, my civic is on the same set for about five years running. I use sylvania silverlights, not any cheap bulbs. anyone else had a problem with headlights going out?

yesd0g said:
Hello all, New member here. Iv e got an 02 MP5 with 76,000 miles on it, and i go through headlight bulbs every six months or so. As a comparison, my civic is on the same set for about five years running. I use sylvania silverlights, not any cheap bulbs. anyone else had a problem with headlights going out?

Nope. My stock bulbs haven't even flickered. 25k miles now. Quit using bad bulbs.

if you're using sylvania silverstars on the p5, ditch them. i got about 6 months out of mine when they burned out. i'm not sure about the osram silverstars, but a couple people here have had the same issue with the sylvanias.

One of my originals burnt last night. got almost 30K + 2 years out of it. If you go through bulbs every 6 months, stop buying 40 dollar bulbs!! Buy the cheaper ones and see if there is a difference in 6 months.

I went through 2 complete sets of silverstars in about 4 months! While the light from them is pretty sweet, the suck for durability, especially in our cars. I think our headlights just put out more wattage then the damn bulbs can handle. I'd stick with the regular stock bulbs. Our headlights are ranked pretty dam good anyway, why bother?

just use factory light bulbs or get HID.
I have had so many issues about replacing bulbs and HID was the final answer to get rid of issues.

jlanger said:
I went through 2 complete sets of silverstars in about 4 months! While the light from them is pretty sweet, the suck for durability, especially in our cars. I think our headlights just put out more wattage then the damn bulbs can handle. I'd stick with the regular stock bulbs. Our headlights are ranked pretty dam good anyway, why bother?
If I remember correctly, I think they are the same wattage, if not very close. Something like 55w or 40w. Whats the warranty on them? If you can find a recipt maybe at least they might send you a new set. Especially after all the money you have spent on them.

Here copyed right from the link above:10. What kind of warranty do you offer on your ST?
We stand behind our products 100%. Satisfaction guaranteed. Please contact our Customer Service department at 800-729-3777 Monday through Thursday 8am-7pm EST and Friday/Saturday 8am-5pm EST if you have any questions or a specific product concern. We welcome your feedback.

IRISH22 said:
Here copyed right from the link above:10. What kind of warranty do you offer on your ST?
We stand behind our products 100%. Satisfaction guaranteed. Please contact our Customer Service department at 800-729-3777 Monday through Thursday 8am-7pm EST and Friday/Saturday 8am-5pm EST if you have any questions or a specific product concern. We welcome your feedback.
Their response to that question says nothing about an actual warranty,

Yeah but they say they stand behind their products 100%. That means if someone is getting pissed because they are replacing bulbs every 6 months hopefully if they want to keep that customer they will try to do something for him. Hey it's worth the call.

IRISH22 said:
Yeah but they say they stand behind their products 100%. That means if someone is getting pissed because they are replacing bulbs every 6 months hopefully if they want to keep that customer they will try to do something for him. Hey it's worth the call.

Most they will do is give hime more crappy bulbs for free up to 1 year.

I seriously doubt he will get money back.

What is it with replacing our bulbs anyways? If we have THE best lighting in any car, what more do you want? Is it to so called "mod". Why not just leave well enough alone? Have you tried readjusting the beam? I don't think we NEED to light up signs 600 feet away.

Last edited:
my 2 cents, stick to stock bulbs. ive had mine for 3 years + and no problems

peace

IMO - After using the super-white bulbs, I don't think I would get a "normal" bulb again. I just like the look and how it illuminates everything so well.

Mazda P5 driver said:
What is it with replacing our bulbs anyways? If we have THE best lighting in any car, what more do you want? Is it to so called "mod". Why not just leave well enough alone? Have you tried readjusting the beam? I don't think we NEED to light up signs 600 feet away.
What are you talking about here?? HID lighting?? Are you trying to say that our cars have the best lighting stock?

DrummerJim50 said:
IMO - After using the super-white bulbs, I don't think I would get a "normal" bulb again. I just like the look and how it illuminates everything so well.
How long have your bulbs lasted?

DrummerJim50 said:
What are you talking about here?? HID lighting?? Are you trying to say that our cars have the best lighting stock?

The Protege5 does, at least compared to all the cars tested.

I still have my stock bulbs, I typically replace a silverstar bulb (Sylvania) every 2 months, but I've lucked out with the current ones I have which must have lasted since November. What a money pit! I'd stop getting them if the stock ones weren't so yellow. Maybe I'll try PIAA next, at least they have a real warranty.

I had the Osrams which in my opinion look as good as the Sylvanias and I think put more light on the road, but I had one blow after 2 months and didn't have time to wait for replacements to ship (though even after shipping cost is included they cost less than the Sylvanias in stores. Maybe I'll do HIDs, but I have so many other things I need to do first.

Back