The 3 and Remote Turbo's

Hey Guys I did a search on this and didnt find anything. I was wondering since all the companies are taking forever on the "right way" to turbo a car and there kits are looking to be around 3-4k, would this be a good alternative. the STS turbo system is a good example. now if your going to flame this idea go find another board i already know this isnt the ideal way and bla bla bla but it does produce 5-10 lbs of boost and i dont care about lag its hard enough to launch this thing w/o a turbo!. also if anyone would know what size turbo you can use for the 3 with a 2.3 let me know, I was prolly gonna try it with a saab or shadow turbo and then if it works do like a t3/4? maybe? let me know

Tricked-Out-Toy said:
Hey Guys I did a search on this and didnt find anything. I was wondering since all the companies are taking forever on the "right way" to turbo a car and there kits are looking to be around 3-4k, would this be a good alternative. the STS turbo system is a good example. now if your going to flame this idea go find another board i already know this isnt the ideal way and bla bla bla but it does produce 5-10 lbs of boost and i dont care about lag its hard enough to launch this thing w/o a turbo!. also if anyone would know what size turbo you can use for the 3 with a 2.3 let me know, I was prolly gonna try it with a saab or shadow turbo and then if it works do like a t3/4? maybe? let me know

Beaten to death on this board.
also don't mean to sound like an ass but i feel this is apporiate
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

sorry.... :D

I did a Search in the mazda 3 forum with "remote turbo" and got nothing? and why the hostility? if i could spend $500 and get at least 50hp out of it that would be worth it right?

Does anyone have the info or not? If it has been beaten to death, please link it if you are going to post that it has been beaten to death (just this one time). That Flash on Posting and You was hilarious.

Super Matty P said:
good luck with that junk. you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't call it junk. Far from it. It seems to be a good system for truck and any other vehicle with dual headers.

I would say the only advantage to have one on the Mazda3 is you might get away with it being smog legal.
Would it be better than a Mazda3 with a turbo header. Nope.
For one you wouldn't make as much power, there is not much room for it to be installed on the Mazda3. And I don't think I would be to comfortable with a turbo under the car in my daily driver.

I not sure if this is another cry for a smog legal turbo system. But it just is not going to happen. Just get the turbo and when it comes to smog time take it off.

i know in maryland you can pass emissions as long as you aren't throwing any cel's. which is kinda dumb because checking just the cel is not really testing the emissions coming out of the exhaust now is it?

I say go for it... what do you have to lose... I would suggest a GT series turbo, that way, if it DOES suck, then you could use that turbo in a conventional setup instead.

i say go for it so other noob's can learn from your mistakes!!

who wants a turbo that is going to be fed through a stock manifold, 2 cats and a resonator?? Then who wants a turbo kit with a 9' charge piping?

seems like a cool idea to me.. im not sure if there is any issue running oil lines and the intake piping that far, but why not try it.

I got to see one of the remote mounted turbo systems at work on a 6.0 Yukon Denali SUV when I was in Arizona. It did good on the dyno.

mobomelter said:
matty you hate turbos don't you?

I think he is just stating that it is definately not the best way to run a turbo on this or any car with a single exhaust manifold. He is just being very blunt about it.

They work well on the type of vehicles they were made for big V6-V8 dual manifold cars and trucks.

I know that the system isnt the best and isnt ideal but, for the price there isnt anything you can buy for this car that will give you that kind of power, as for the oil lines i was talking to a guy that did it to his DAILY driving caviler and he mounted a oil pump and resivorin his trunk and cooled it with a engine oil cooler mounted under the car, also he said he never had a problem with water and just to make sure he added a splash sheild, from what ive read the turbo doesnt get nearly as hot as it does when its at your header. 8lbs of bost is 8 lbs of boost. who knows what car i can steal one off of that would be close to the size i would need? It should be smaller than what is actually needed if it was mounted on the header. thanks

Back