a/f gauge question.......again!

MazdaspeedNJ

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
ok i tried to install my a/f gauge by tapping for the signal into pin 60 of the ecu.........it didnt work......only one green led all the way to the right, nothing else.........now i am going to attempt to tap into the 02 sensor under the hood.......which wire do i tap? i see that after the 02 sensor 3 wires come out, blue, white, black....then it goes to a plug......then a bunch of smaller wires come out the other end of the plug.....in those smaller wires is a pink with blue stripe or blue with pink stripe wire which looks exactly like the one i tapped at pin 60 on the ecu......do i tap that wire again, or one of the 3 coming off the 02 sensor??? what do i do with the wire going to the ecu that i already connected??? should i just cap it and leave it???? i already searched and the how to doesnt state this..........

please help.....
thanx

I would take the tapped wire off the PCM and put electrical tape around where it was spliced.

The shielding around the O2 sensor signal wire is there for a reason...it is very sensitive to interference, and having an extra wire hanging off of it could mess up the readings to the PCM.

when you hooked it up to pin 60 at the ecu, how did you test it to see if it was working...? Did you let the motor idle and let the O2 sensors warm up...?

how did i test?......after i hooked it all up i started the car and drove it around..... i have been driving the car for three days and it hasn't started to work yet................did i do something wrong?

jerseyemt~~> ok......then how the hell can i hook this gauge up?!

Did you actually splice in at the wiring harness at pin 60? Or did you look for the blue wire with the pink stripe?

Because if you just tapped into the blue wire with pink stripe, you probably got the wrong one. Was it a dark blue (almost navy) with a pink stripe?

The one you want is LIGHT blue with a pink stripe, and it is hidden behind some grey shielding.

Mine did the EXACT same thing when I had it hooked up to the wrong wire...one green LED all the way on the right (rich)

arrrrrggghhhhhh. the how-to said pin 60......i found pin 60 by counting in on the harness and tapped the wire in between the harness and the gray shielding......i counted it at least 10 times and made completely sure it was pin 60.........how far up that sheathing should i tap it??

thanx guys....

emt......seems like u are always answering my questions.....big help man....

MazdaspeedNJ said:
...now i am going to attempt to tap into the 02 sensor under the hood.......which wire do i tap? i see that after the 02 sensor 3 wires come out, blue, white, black...

Tap the blue one. See attachment.

Attachments

• DSC00277.JPG
    DSC00277.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 233
jersey_emt said:
I would take the tapped wire off the PCM and put electrical tape around where it was spliced.

The shielding around the O2 sensor signal wire is there for a reason...it is very sensitive to interference, and having an extra wire hanging off of it could mess up the readings to the PCM.
Is the shielding located just after the ECU's harness or farther along the wire !? So to hook up the A/F gauge you have to splice where there is no shielding ? Anyone have a pic of a good splice ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Wingman21 said:
Is the shielding located just after the ECU's harness or farther along the wire !? So to hook up the A/F gauge you have to splice where there is no shielding ? Anyone have a pic of a good splice ?

Thanks
Bump for my question ^^^ (wiggle)

Back