2013 CX-5 Won't Start...Help

The car is new to me. It wouldn't start today in the afternoon after driving it a little in the morning. When I pressed the pushbutton the starter didn't engage, a read light of key with a line through it was in the instrument cluster, the tach and speeodometer dials bounced as I pressed the button and the button went from green when I put my foot on the brake to flashing orange. I also tested the voltage at the battery and it was only about 9V. I put in on a charger for over an hour and it still didn't start. I also tested the voltage after I disconnected the charger and attempted to start it. I was reading 7V. I didn't have the charger connected backwards either.

When I was connecting the charger I could hear a slight buzzing sound. I did see a thread where the car didn't start and there was a buzzing sound and it was the ECM/PCM relay going bad. I didn't read the ODBII system or see any service engine soon lights, but will do a scan tomorrow.

Given the very low voltage I can see why it wouldn't start. I'm also thinking the low voltage in the car would explain why it didn't recognize the fob as well.

I do wonder though about the buzzing sound. It was making the sound when I simply had the hood open. I wasn't trying to start or do anything. The sound seemed like it was from under the blue cover over the engine, but I really couldn't tell. I wonder if something was arcing if that might be the source of the noise and discharge of the battery. On the other hand the relay shouldn't be in the closed position with the car off.

There was some real bad weather on the way and I stopped at that point.

I'll pick up a battery in the morning. Its a new car to me, but not a new car. If nothing else I'll know how old it is going forward.

Anyone have any reason to think it might be something more than the battery and what the sound might have been?

Thanks

Get a new battery first.
A battery contains 6 cells, each at 2.1v when fully charged. 12.6V is the total voltage when it is healthy.

After that, see if the buzzing sound persists.

Looks like that is what I'll do. I know very little about the smart key system, but I do know that to crank the starter you need more voltage than I measured. There have been a few hot days. I've found that although starting can be hard in the cold, that batteries usually fail in hot weather.

Why there'd be a buzzing is beyond me.

Looks like that is what I'll do. I know very little about the smart key system, but I do know that to crank the starter you need more voltage than I measured. There have been a few hot days. I've found that although starting can be hard in the cold, that batteries usually fail in hot weather.

Why there'd be a buzzing is beyond me.
You should get a new battery first then worry about buzzing sound. It could be caused by low voltage from your battery and some mechanical relays may just bouncing between on and off like you mentioned.

BTW, go get an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery at WalMart with 3-year replacement warranty for the best C/P value. If you can jump-start the CX-5, they can install the battery for you on site without the hassle of bring the old battery back for core charge like Costco.

Used to recommend getting the Intestate Group 35 battery at Costco for the best value. But Costco has increased the price from $78.99 with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty before pandemic, to $119.99 with only 36-month prorated warranty now.

I replaced the car battery today. It starts. I also replaced the batteries in the fobs but later.

The buzzing sound persists.
I'll keep a voltmeter in the car and maybe disconnect the battery when it sits till I get things sorted out.

I couldn't fond my OBDII scanner and didn't notice a service engine light on.

I did read about the ecm/pcm relau causing a similar issue. So far I haven't found the location. I can just remove it when I know where it is. If it is the source of the sound it will stol when I do.

There is indeed a buzzing sound from under the hood that lasts about 20 seconds or so after you turn the car off. That's normal.

You should get a new battery first then worry about buzzing sound. It could be caused by low voltage from your battery and some mechanical relays may just bouncing between on and off like you mentioned.

BTW, go get an EverStart Maxx Group 35 battery at WalMart with 3-year replacement warranty for the best C/P value. If you can jump-start the CX-5, they can install the battery for you on site without the hassle of bring the old battery back for core charge like Costco.

Used to recommend getting the Intestate Group 35 battery at Costco for the best value. But Costco has increased the price from $78.99 with 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated warranty before pandemic, to $119.99 with only 36-month prorated warranty now.
Does your Walmart have an auto center? Mine doesn’t and I’m lucky if I find anyone working in the automotive aisle to help me find the battery let alone install it.

Thanks for letting me know the buzzing after shutting down is normal.. I was having lunch when I read that post. The car had been off for over fifteen minutes. I checked before I got in and there was no buzz.

On the other hand when it first wouldn't start it had been sitting for avwhile. I wasn't paying that much attention but I think it started right after hooking up the nee battery.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Anyone know what the sound is from?

Thanks for letting me know the buzzing after shutting down is normal.. I was having lunch when I read that post. The car had been off for over fifteen minutes. I checked before I got in and there was no buzz.

On the other hand when it first wouldn't start it had been sitting for avwhile. I wasn't paying that much attention but I think it started right after hooking up the nee battery.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Anyone know what the sound is from?
It's from the throttle body throttle controller. No idea why it does that, but it does. Put your finger on it, and you can feel it doing what it does.

Back