Oil low? 2021 CX-5 26k miles

:
2021 Signature
2021 Signature with 26k miles. Low oil light. Down to low mark on dipstick, oil looks ok. Normal for turbo or problem? call into dealer this am. Thanks for the feedback.

2021 Signature with 26k miles. Low oil light. Down to low mark on dipstick, oil looks ok. Normal for turbo or problem? call into dealer this am. Thanks for the feedback.
Infamous defective valve seals cause engine to burn oil. Problem needs to be fixed asap or will damage cats and gunk up engine long term. Tsb on exact issue. Dealer should know all about it. Major operation however. Fully covered.

It is certainly an issue. I would recommend topping up with thicker oil then what is "recommended" in the meantime and monitor consumption.

If you or some other driver likes to run your engine hard, especially when the car was quite new, that would easily explain the consumption. Otherwise, there's a deeper underlying issue which would need to be addressed fairly soon.

It is certainly an issue. I would recommend topping up with thicker oil then what is "recommended" in the meantime and monitor consumption.

If you or some other driver likes to run your engine hard, especially when the car was quite new, that would easily explain the consumption. Otherwise, there's a deeper underlying issue which would need to be addressed fairly soon.
As explained, this is a know issue with the valve stem seals and a TSB was put out on it to get them replaced. Its got nothing to do with how the engine was ran. The oil is going past the seals into the combination chamber and being burned and consumed due to the defective valve seals. Topping up with thicker oil is bad advice to a vehicle still under factory warranty. You can't give the dealer a reason to void your warranty and using an oil that is different than what is in the oil cap is a no no and they can certainly void it.

As explained, this is a know issue with the valve stem seals and a TSB was put out on it to get them replaced. Its got nothing to do with how the engine was ran. The oil is going past the seals into the combination chamber and being burned and consumed due to the defective valve seals.

There are different causes for an engine to burn oil. Yes, it's most likely due to the TSB, but that doesn't mean that it could only be occurring due to defective valve stem cells.

There are different causes for an engine to burn oil. Yes, it's most likely due to the TSB, but that doesn't mean that it could only be occurring due to defective valve stem cells.
In this case with this low miles on the 2021 problem child MY it absolutely is. Please don't spread misinformation.

Edit: last oil change about 4500 miles

I hope that you mean that your last oil change was 4,500 miles ago and not over 21,000 miles ago?

Have you checked the oil during this interval?

Did you check the oil right after the dealer did the work?

Whether you are confident or not, you cannot immediately confirm this without seeing the car first.
Please stop. Yes you can. Why are you trying to ignore the obvious issue? Are you a dealer trying to sweep the issue under the rug keeping it hush hush? I will not engage with your naivety and ignorance further. The problem is clear. The solution is clear.

... Have you checked the oil during this interval?

Did you check the oil right after the dealer did the work?
I've asked those same questions probably more than a thousand times over the years on these forums and most of the time I get the same nothing back that you did here. But when I do get a reply, it's that familiar 2 letter word virtually every time. Aside from a very small group of us who do, checking oil (or much of anything else for that matter) just isn't happening in the world we live in now.

Please stop. Yes you can. Why are you trying to ignore the obvious issue? Are you a dealer trying to sweep the issue under the rug keeping it hush hush? I will not engage with your naivety and ignorance further. The problem is clear. The solution is clear.
Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm sure that the issue is related to the TSB.

Again, I'm just pointing out there could be other causes.

I've asked those same questions probably more than a thousand times over the years on these forums and most of the time I get the same nothing back that you did here. But when I do get a reply, it's that familiar 2 letter word virtually every time. Aside from a very small group of us who do, checking oil (or much of anything else for that matter) just isn't happening in the world we live in now.
Yes, I have checked the oil once a month and after the last will change.

It seems to me there are several symptoms that could point to stem seals.
1) smokes on startup after sitting hot for a period of time due to leakage of thinned out oil accumulating then the burn off during startup
2) after a good hot drive sitting and idling for several minutes then a burn off when resuming
3) after a long hill descent oil can be sucked in due to vacuum. The oil will burn off when applying the throttle to resume.

I had a car like that once. Somebody following me off an interstate ramp apparently noticed when I touched the gas when I got closer to the end of the ramp and gave me a honk:) I could often see the cloud of blue smoke behind me when I did this so I wasn't surprised. Downshifting made more dramatic clouds of smoke.

A person might try idling for 15 minutes after a couple of hours driving on the interstate, then smell the exhaust while somebody operates the engine to see if you can smell burning oil. A new car might not have any visible smoke so smelling it would be key.

Replacing the oil seals will fix the problem but thicker oil or additives might mask the symptoms.

Thinner oil will exacerbate the oil consumption because it is a leakage issue. It probably doesn't matter whether its because the oil is thinner to begin with (normal modern oils) or thin because of extended high speed driving.

He's already using 5w-30 with the turbo.

It's a 99% chance of it being the stem seal issue that there is a TSB for. He just needs to get it to the dealer

Back