Cracked Cylinder Head (2018 CX-9)

The two parts of that statement have no connection. If the coolant hasn't contaminated the oil and damaged the engine, then there is NO need, NO point in replacing the short block (the part of the engine under the cylinder head). A new short block will not protect the new head better than the old short block. The block is not the problem. The design of the head is the problem.

This is a real extended warranty from the manufacturer, not the extended service contract fraudulently called an extended warranty.
Thanks!
It’s been a rough two weeks dealing with corporate so my apologies if my response wasn’t “connected” I’m trying to get the word out and let other Mazda owners about this issue so Mazda will take responsibility for their manufacturing/design issues and not leave their customers to pay for their mistakes ultimately causing a major loss for the customer. I’m 18,000 miles out of the 60,0000 mile warranty. I LOVE my Mazda and honestly wouldn’t have another brand but this has been a headache that Mazda should be fixing and they don’t want to give anything but a partial of a partial replacement cost. So I’ll probably never own another Mazda again.

Turbo head cracking does not happen in the same location as on the NA, however both of them share similar characteristics. Both crack on the back of the head, and also are very close to the exhaust manifold studs in the head. And that's something I've wondered about ever since I first read the description of where the cracking takes place.

It seems logical to me that any weakness resulting from a manufacturing or design issue in that area of the head would be amplified by the 10 foot or so lever, which is the exhaust system that's connected to it. Although there's no way of knowing how much of a factor that might be in the failure cases, I've acquired a habit with the CX-5 of being even more careful than I already was, to avoid all bumps and potholes :rolleyes:
This is the first I've heard about the '10 foot lever'. Would that mean the exhaust pipe? Seems that it could be a possibility. But I keep
thinking about the Mazda tech that stated the crack develops in
a thin casting. An area that is about 3mm in thickness. And more than one Mazda tech commenting about the large numbers of cars being repaired for this problem. Turbo or non-Turbo. NA or Canadian. They all develop crack heads.
If I had known about this issue I would never have given Mazda a
look. Especially with no extended warranty after this much time passing and the clear record of a problem. As time goes by it's going to show up more and more.

Ah ha. I see it now. 'exhaust manifold' in you post.

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard about the '10 foot lever'. Would that mean the exhaust pipe? Seems that it could be a possibility. But I keep
thinking about the Mazda tech that stated the crack develops in
a thin casting. An area that is about 3mm in thickness. And more than one Mazda tech commenting about the large numbers of cars being repaired for this problem. Turbo or non-Turbo. NA or Canadian. They all develop crack heads.
If I had known about this issue I would never have given Mazda a
look. Especially with no extended warranty after this much time passing and the clear record of a problem. As time goes by it's going to show up more and more.

Interestingly, my service rep at my local dealer was not really aware of this problem happening on the turbo’s. For him the CX-5 NA cracks were known, but not really the CX-9s. The jury is still out on how common this is. It obviously happens, because there are frequent new member on this thread reporting it just happened to them, but it is hard to pinpoint how much that is in terms of percentage and probabilities.

Just food for thought. Years ago I had a friend that was a service writer
for GM. He said he was told to never acknowledge known problems
or say he sees something regularly. Probably cause it's just ammunition for the customer to use. I've noticed that the sales people are never around when it come to service too. It's all by design.
I recall a Mazda Tech that was either on this forum or another one
comment that he had five lined up for head replacements. So it's not
like they don't know unless it's a newer service writer. The car business as a whole is a tried and true process that puts us at
a disadvantage.
On another note. At 68 years of age and having purchased 4 new Suburbans, 2 new pick ups, 2 new Hondas, 1 new Toyota, and driven over 200k each. I have never had to replace a spark plug.

That specific one has acknowledged things in the past to me and has been fairly honest, but he also clearly isn’t fully up to speed on the TSB, but he would know if clients came to have engine replacement all the times. I don’t want to dismiss the other tech comment either though. It may happen more often than I hope. I was just surprised he didn’t seem to have seen it on a CX-9 yet, but he did mention he usually sees it on the CX-5. Someone here earlier had posted a photo of engine with cracked head at a dealership, but if i recall only one or two in the shots where turbo’s.

You never had to replace a spark plug, but you probably should have ;)

driven over 200k each. I have never had to replace a spark plug.
Oh you for sure needed to, it's just that for whatever reason just chose not to.

It doesn't make it right, but lots of people ignore doing regular maintenance on their vehicles.

I probably should have for preventative maintenance in case a failure occurred and dropped on a piston. But if they are firing, they are firing.
It seems.

I have never had to replace a spark plug.
Replacing spark plugs on schedule helps retain original power, fuel consumption, and emissions. A never-replaced plug can have the threads so caked with carbon that the head must be removed to get the plug out if it fails.

2018 Mazda CX-9 cracked cylinder head. Quoted $8400 for new engine replacement! This is ridiculous! I have been seen a lot of posts about this known manufacturer defect. Is there anyway to get Mazda to pay for this?
Same thing just happened to my Mazda 6, turbo. Quoted over $11,000 for new engine replacement. I contacted Mazda & I have an open claim. Lady on phone said they would not pay for repairs, because warranty is expired. Waiting for someone to get back to me, it’s been over a week. I have no other transportation. Just hit a little over 56,000 miles. This is clearly a defective issue.

Same thing just happened to my Mazda 6, turbo. Quoted over $11,000 for new engine replacement. I contacted Mazda & I have an open claim. Lady on phone said they would not pay for repairs, because warranty is expired. Waiting for someone to get back to me, it’s been over a week. I have no other transportation. Just hit a little over 56,000 miles. This is clearly a defective issue.
Was there any discussion of the obvious frequency and history of the
failures of these engines. Not that she would say anything but as common as it is happening I bet she knew. But then she could have been an answering service since Mazda won't stand behind their engineering.
I was in the Mazda dealership a few weeks ago and there was very little traffic in the way of customers at 3:00 PM. I also see Mazda commercials on TV lately. Never recall seeing them in the past.

This is a perfect reminder of my water pump issue with my Audi. I had to pay the $1,100 to fix it at just over 60K miles and Audi of America refused any help. Not as bad as an engine or replacement of the head but painful none the less considering the mileage. However, it was an easy choice for me to do that job considering all the factors.

Fast forward about two years and I received an alert about a class action suit. I hear there is one percolating about this issue with Mazda now by the way.

Put in a claim and finally was reimbursed for the water pump. I can say that you need to have complete maintenance records to prove you followed the manufacturer schedules in order to have a valid claim. I would suggest that everyone who may end up in that bucket gather all the paperwork and be ready when the time comes.

2018 Mazda CX-9 cracked cylinder head. Quoted $8400 for new engine replacement! This is ridiculous! I have been seen a lot of posts about this known manufacturer defect. Is there anyway to get Mazda to pay for this?
Contact corporate and plead your case (politely). You don't say how many miles you have on it, but that may be a factor. I had 82K, and have owned 7 Mazdas. After going to corporate, I ended up paying only a 'deductible' (even though I have no extended warranty) of $650 to get my head replaced.

Your powertrain warranty is 60K miles, if the same as a CX-9. What is that Mazda person smoking?

Was there any discussion of the obvious frequency and history of the
failures of these engines. Not that she would say anything but as common as it is happening I bet she knew. But then she could have been an answering service since Mazda won't stand behind their engineering.
I was in the Mazda dealership a few weeks ago and there was very little traffic in the way of customers at 3:00 PM. I also see Mazda commercials on TV lately. Never recall seeing them in the past.
Spoke to a man at Mazda last week, he assured me they know this was due to no fault of my own, & that they are “well aware” of the problem. Was supposed to hear back on Friday. So far, haven’t heard back yet.

$11K is ludicrous. Why have most dealer quotes been under $8K and you get told $11k? To me, that difference is getting it fixed vs dumping the car. My 2018 CX-9 is valued at $19K, there's no way I'd do an $11K engine replacement.

$11K is ludicrous. Why have most dealer quotes been under $8K and you get told $11k? To me, that difference is getting it fixed vs dumping the car. My 2018 CX-9 is valued at $19K, there's no way I'd do an $11K engine replacement.
$11k means go take it elsewhere we're not interested but if you insist then bite the pillow cuz we going in dry

Back