Looking for help identifying a part (2016 CX-5)

ihaveworms

:
CX-5
I have had squeaking sounds coming from the trunk area of our 2016 CX-5 for a few years now. I took off some plastic panels and found a nut had fallen off one of the bolts, so I put on a little loctite and replaced that nut. Still squeaking... I have been putting it off to look into it further until today. So I opened the trunk and took out these plastic plugs over two bolts (left and right side). Both of these areas appear to have a missing nut. I don't know for certain if there is supposed to be a nut here, but I would assume there would be.

So I was hoping one of you all could verify if there is supposed to be a nut here and if so, what kind of size should I look for for a replacement.

1709441043564.png
1709441059399.png

They come loose and fall off. Had it happen to me, I was lucky enough to fish it out of there. I reinstalled it and smothered it with silicon. I also have to shoot the hinges and strut pivot points with a silicon spray lube.

They come loose and fall off. Had it happen to me, I was lucky enough to fish it out of there. I reinstalled it and smothered it with silicon. I also have to shoot the hinges and strut pivot points with a silicon spray lube.
I took a borescope camera and looked as best I could within the hatch sheet metal, but couldn't find any nut trapped anywhere. I am hoping it isn't in there somewhere where it will rattle endlessly.

Thanks for the heads up on this!!! I never noticed a rattle but went and checked my outer ones. I still need to check on the inner two.

One nut was already off and the other one was just starting to back off from snug. Might need to use some low strength purple Loctite on these. I torqued to factory spec torque from pic in my earlier post.

A heads up for everyone to check

EDIT: Popped the center plastic cover off. The lower inner two were still on tight.

Last edited:
Back