Protege5 Dilemma

Ok, so I got into a fender bender (this is actually my 80 yr.old sister's car) in my sister's protege5 I've been driving. Without getting into it, things got a little bent and pushed in, ie. Grill, driver side bumper, hood, that bar in front that is part of frame maybe. Which caused cold air intake to not be lined up now. I have the big black plastic thing. Pic attached. I am wanting to run a flex tube piece from opening on engine to this contraption so I'm not driving with that big 2 1/2" to 3" opening all open. Just until I can get her all fixed up. Hopefully you all can understand what I'm saying here, and thanks in advance for any advice etc.

Attachments

• 1000000279.jpg
    1000000279.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1000000263.jpg
    1000000263.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 41
Ooof :( hopefully the lower radiator isn't damaged and radiator is ok? ( and of course hopefully no one was hurt) With a bit of luck the upper radiator support can be pulled straight and the damaged panels replaced 👍

You can drive the car without the intake as the all important filter housing is still attached, it won't affect performance or driveability that much but it will sound a bit different. The intake that has popped off is just for routing cold air from the grille to the filter housing :)

Ooof :( hopefully the lower radiator isn't damaged and radiator is ok? ( and of course hopefully no one was hurt) With a bit of luck the upper radiator support can be pulled straight and the damaged panels replaced 👍

You can drive the car without the intake as the all important filter housing is still attached, it won't affect performance or driveability that much but it will sound a bit different. The intake that has popped off is just for routing cold air from the grille to the filter housing :)
Thank you for the info on that air intake thing, I've been trying to find a 3" flex hose to put on for now...will let cha know on radiator.

Thank you for the info on that air intake thing, I've been trying to find a 3" flex hose to put on for now...will let cha know on radiator.
I was wondering about that radiator as well. Definitely keep an eye for leaking coolant on the ground and the level of coolant in your translucent coolant overflow/reserve tank. Hopefully your hood latch is still secure enough that it won't fly up on you at highway speeds.

I just replaced my leaking radiator last year with a Denso one and I'm quite happy with it. Parts cost including coolant was around $125.

Would be nice if you can find someone to do a "good enough" straightening of the upper radiator support as @LankyKiwi mentioned so that you can put the air intake back on and get the hood to latch properly if it's not.

Latest posts

Back