What to expect at 100K miles? 2013 CX-5

Our 2013 CX-5 Sport is just reaching 100K miles and I'm wondering what to expect in necessary maintenance going forward. Basically we've just done oil changes so far, although we had the rear brake pads replaced 15K ago (with rotor resurfacing) and a set of new tires.

We currently have a "thump" in the right front suspension when turning hard into our garage and the front brakes brake unevenly in a hard braking situation. There's a little more engine noise than there was when it was brand new, but nothing concerning. It doesn't use any fluids when I check them.

These days my dealer is charging $155 an hour to even diagnose anything. I feel like I should get the front suspension and brakes looked into. What else should I do ( e.g. should the transmission fluid have been changed; should the engine belts been replaced) and how much maintenance can I expect going forward?

Thanks!

All the fluids if they were never changed. Spark plugs. Aux belts is good idea too.
100k with just oil is pretty damn good.

Upvote 0
If you plan on keeping it have a local trusted mechanic give it the once over especially the suspension since you're hearing noise.
You're coming up on coolant change, I believe it's around 115k or somwhere near that mileage.
Plugs should of been changed around 75k. I'd check all the belts for wear.
I'd think about a drain and fill on the transmission fluid.

Upvote 0
change the spark plugs
check your belts
change transmission strainer and fluid (not just drain and fill)
address clunk in susp (probably control arm, could be tire rod or end link)

Upvote 0
At 100k miles, if you're going to do, or have done, a coolant swap, I'd have the hoses changed out at the same time. Unless they've already been done.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help! I've also replaced engine and cabin air filters, but yeah, it's been remarkably trouble free. There's been a bunch of body work, but that's a different story..

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help! I've also replaced engine and cabin air filters, but yeah, it's been remarkably trouble free. There's been a bunch of body work, but that's a different story..
The big problem is I don't have a mechanic (haven't needed one) and I definitely don't trust the dealership. I grew up on a farm, so I've done maintenance on tractors and can handle a few of these things myself. Is there a national chain that can be turned to for suspension issues?

Upvote 0
Is there a national chain that can be turned to for suspension issues?

I might recommend looking at Cottman Transmission & Total Auto Care. Several locations across the U.S. They can handle foreign and domestic brands, engines and transmissions, suspension and brakes, and most other parts. Aren't the least expensive around, but in my experience they have been competent, capable, thorough.

In my area, if I wanted to pay a decent shop for a suspension rebuild but didn't want the dealership to touch it, it'd be Cottman who I speak with first.

Upvote 0
Okay. I've contacted my dealer service department and here's what they want for the items we've identified:

Spark plug replacement$399
Suspension clunk diagnostic (no repair included)$155
Belts and tensioner replacement$230
Coolant flush$299
Transmission fluid flush and strainer$430

I got on MazdaPartsConnect.com to get the online and retail cost of the Mazda parts. I also got on Amazon and found the cost of NGK 94124 ILKAR7L11 spark plugs. A call to my local Firestone store about coolant flush yielded a cost of $163 for a flush, but when asked the guy didn't know anything about FL-22 coolant.

A YouTube video showed spark plug replacement and it looks like it couldn't be easier. The only BUT is to NOT cross thread the plugs. The engine is aluminum while the plugs are steel. I've changed spark plugs on tractors at least a dozen times, but those heads were cast iron. My question: how easy is it to cross thread the plugs? Do you know anyone who has done so? And are the Mazda plugs ($106) any different from the NGK plugs ($50)?

I don't believe the price the dealership guy gave me for the belts and tension replacement. The retail price for the Mazda belt tensioner alone is $192. How can the whole deal cost only $230?

The coolant flush at the dealership will insure I get the right coolant. Otherwise I might be able to get it done elsewhere and supply Mazda FL-22 coolant for the job.

As for the transmission fluid flush and strainer, the dealership guy asked me if I had SkyActive. If so it would be $430 (less if I didn't). But does it need to be done? A Mazda customer service website says this: "All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

So it seems that the spark plug replacement is the one that's hugely overpriced and as long as cross threading the plugs isn't a common event, I should do that myself. I should have the dealer perform the suspension diagnostic and coolant flush. I can skip the transmission fluid flush and have the dealer inspect the belts and tensioner.

Comments? Anything I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents, no fluid is "lifetime". That doesn't really make any sense. What do they consider "lifetime" exactly? I think they know the fluid is good for the lifetime of the warranty so they play it safe and just say "dont mess with it.".

Think about it, once you're out of warranty they dont care what you do to your car. In fact, they want you to buy another new one asap.

I just got a new to me 2021 CX-9 with 70k miles and im planning to do the trans fluid once its warmed up outside. Further ill do it every 50k or so. I've just gathered this info from other folks on this forum.

Another, I think the whole FL-22 thing is just a sales plot to get you to buy from a certain vendor. Again just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Okay. I've contacted my dealer service department and here's what they want for the items we've identified:

Spark plug replacement$399
Suspension clunk diagnostic (no repair included)$155
Belts and tensioner replacement$230
Coolant flush$299
Transmission fluid flush and strainer$430

I got on MazdaPartsConnect.com to get the online and retail cost of the Mazda parts. I also got on Amazon and found the cost of NGK 94124 ILKAR7L11 spark plugs. A call to my local Firestone store about coolant flush yielded a cost of $163 for a flush, but when asked the guy didn't know anything about FL-22 coolant.

A YouTube video showed spark plug replacement and it looks like it couldn't be easier. The only BUT is to NOT cross thread the plugs. The engine is aluminum while the plugs are steel. I've changed spark plugs on tractors at least a dozen times, but those heads were cast iron. My question: how easy is it to cross thread the plugs? Do you know anyone who has done so? And are the Mazda plugs ($106) any different from the NGK plugs ($50)?

I don't believe the price the dealership guy gave me for the belts and tension replacement. The retail price for the Mazda belt tensioner alone is $192. How can the whole deal cost only $230?

The coolant flush at the dealership will insure I get the right coolant. Otherwise I might be able to get it done elsewhere and supply Mazda FL-22 coolant for the job.

As for the transmission fluid flush and strainer, the dealership guy asked me if I had SkyActive. If so it would be $430 (less if I didn't). But does it need to be done? A Mazda customer service website says this: "All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

So it seems that the spark plug replacement is the one that's hugely overpriced and as long as cross threading the plugs isn't a common event, I should do that myself. I should have the dealer perform the suspension diagnostic and coolant flush. I can skip the transmission fluid flush and have the dealer inspect the belts and tensioner.

Comments? Anything I'm missing?

From your list, the ONLY service that's priced right is the belts and tensioner @ $230. As you mentioned, that's iffy. You need to nail down exactly what's included here.

$400 for plugs? Forgetaboutit!

$155 to inspect the front end? Not terrible but if you've done any sort of business with this dealer, they should do this for free. IMO

$300 for a coolant flush? Again, forgetaboutit. That's way high. You do need to go with FL-22 though. IMO. Bring your own or do it yourself, it's not that hard.

$430 for Transmission fluid flush and strainer? Nope! Too high again. You need to nail this one down too. To do a true flush on these transmissions you HAVE to have a special custom adapter. Do they have this adapter? If not, no flush. It's a drain and fill only. And the strainer? That has to be the in-pan filter. The only way to change that is to drop the trans pan. Are they going to do that? Doubtful.

Lifetime fluids? Lifetime fluids last the lifetime of the fluid in question. How long is that? How long is your warranty? That's your answer. There's no such thing.

Upvote 0
You don't need a dealer. Any garage can do ALL of that. You don't even need a 'national chain'. You can certainly buy the coolant yourself and take it to that mechanic.
As for spark plugs, yea, risk of cross threading has been a thing forever. And it's always been a warning to be careful. It's actually hard to screw it up but the warning is there so people are CAREFUL. If it doesn't start threading nice and easy when you put the new one in, stop. Remove. Do it again. Don't strong arm it. That's how it gets effed up.

Upvote 0
So here's how it's going.
1) The thunk in the suspension turned out to be a broken sway bar. Being replaced. Not real expensive.
2) Coolant has been flushed and replaced with Mazda FL22 fluid.
3) The front brakes had never been maintained. Pads on the rears had been replaced once. New pads and rotors on all four corners.
4) The serpentine belt had small cracks, but the belt for the water pump was fine, as was the tensioner. New serpentine belt.
5) I'm replacing the spark plugs myself on both the CX-5 and my Mazda 6, which has over 70K on it.

I've turned to Firestone to get 1 - 4 done. I know, it makes me cringe, but they seem to know what they're doing and they are much cheaper than my dealership. (However, didn't know anything about FL22 coolant.) I'm surprised at the cost of pads and rotors. A little under $500 per axle. Considerably cheaper than the dealership, but yikes! Hope they don't squeal.

Upvote 0
So here's how it's going.
1) The thunk in the suspension turned out to be a broken sway bar. Being replaced. Not real expensive.
2) Coolant has been flushed and replaced with Mazda FL22 fluid.
3) The front brakes had never been maintained. Pads on the rears had been replaced once. New pads and rotors on all four corners.
4) The serpentine belt had small cracks, but the belt for the water pump was fine, as was the tensioner. New serpentine belt.
5) I'm replacing the spark plugs myself on both the CX-5 and my Mazda 6, which has over 70K on it.

I've turned to Firestone to get 1 - 4 done. I know, it makes me cringe, but they seem to know what they're doing and they are much cheaper than my dealership. (However, didn't know anything about FL22 coolant.) I'm surprised at the cost of pads and rotors. A little under $500 per axle. Considerably cheaper than the dealership, but yikes! Hope they don't squeal.
I had Brakes Plus do my rears about 60k miles. Pads only for $235 on sale IIRC. Not a squeak.

Upvote 0
Firestone is my go to trusted 'chain mechanic' actually. Worked on both my Mazda and Volvos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From your list, the ONLY service that's priced right is the belts and tensioner @ $230. As you mentioned, that's iffy. You need to nail down exactly what's included here.

$400 for plugs? Forgetaboutit!
for sure
You do need to go with FL-22 though. IMO. Bring your own or do it yourself, it's not that hard.
you don't need to. manufacturers do these sort of things to make you buy their rebranded overpriced fluids and parts all the time.

or tell you that the replaceable strainer and fluid inside your transmission is lifetime, sending you to the dealer. what do they tell you. new transmission. how much money is that in their pocket?
$430 for Transmission fluid flush and strainer? Nope! Too high again. You need to nail this one down too. To do a true flush on these transmissions you HAVE to have a special custom adapter. Do they have this adapter? If not, no flush. It's a drain and fill only. And the strainer? That has to be the in-pan filter. The only way to change that is to drop the trans pan. Are they going to do that? Doubtful.
that price is not awful. better to get that strainer replaced than to do nothing about it, even if the price is indeed a bit high.
Lifetime fluids? Lifetime fluids last the lifetime of the fluid in question. How long is that? How long is your warranty? That's your answer. There's no such thing.
agreed.

in summary, these vehicles are very well designed and can pretty easily triple 100k miles with standard maintenance.

you can literally use any oil in this car. just change it on time

if the coolant going into the reservoir matches the colour of the existing coolant, you will not have any issues.

if you follow the "recommendation" (or lack thereof) to not change your transmission strainer, you will have problems.

my skyactiv is high mileage.

while i expected the local mechanic in my small town to use fl-22 coolant during the flush, they didn't. no issues.

I change the trans fluid and strainer regularly. If I didn't that trans would be on its deathbed.

I don't use 0w20. I haven't in a long time. I make sure to change it regularly.

as I always rant, my 308,000KM skyactiv 2.5 NA is fully tuned for 91 octane. the logs indicate that it is running almost perfectly.

what am I saying? the "recommendations" are not entirely in the best interest of you, the user.

When I took a BMW owned in a previous lifetime to a specialty transmission shop for its fluid and filter change, I discovered that the mechanic used the same cheap, ancient ZF 5 speed auto fluid across multiple transmissions being worked on, including my much newer ZF 8 speed.

no, i never had any issues with that fluid. i'm sure the dozens of customers he dealt with haven't either. it was a popular and reputable shop too.

in short, yes, there are different fluids and parts out there to be mindful of . no, you don't always have be so particular about what you use. change replaceable things on time and you'll drive these cars longer than you'll ever want to... or can.

Upvote 0
for sure

you don't need to. manufacturers do these sort of things to make you buy their rebranded overpriced fluids and parts all the time.

or tell you that the replaceable strainer and fluid inside your transmission is lifetime, sending you to the dealer. what do they tell you. new transmission. how much money is that in their pocket?

that price is not awful. better to get that strainer replaced than to do nothing about it, even if the price is indeed a bit high.

agreed.

in summary, these vehicles are very well designed and can pretty easily triple 100k miles with standard maintenance.

you can literally use any oil in this car. just change it on time

if the coolant going into the reservoir matches the colour of the existing coolant, you will not have any issues.

if you follow the "recommendation" (or lack thereof) to not change your transmission strainer, you will have problems.

my skyactiv is high mileage.

while i expected the local mechanic in my small town to use fl-22 coolant during the flush, they didn't. no issues.

I change the trans fluid and strainer regularly. If I didn't that trans would be on its deathbed.

I don't use 0w20. I haven't in a long time. I make sure to change it regularly.

as I always rant, my 308,000KM skyactiv 2.5 NA is fully tuned for 91 octane. the logs indicate that it is running almost perfectly.

what am I saying? the "recommendations" are not entirely in the best interest of you, the user.

When I took a BMW owned in a previous lifetime to a specialty transmission shop for its fluid and filter change, I discovered that the mechanic used the same cheap, ancient ZF 5 speed auto fluid across multiple transmissions being worked on, including my much newer ZF 8 speed.

no, i never had any issues with that fluid. i'm sure the dozens of customers he dealt with haven't either. it was a popular and reputable shop too.

in short, yes, there are different fluids and parts out there to be mindful of . no, you don't always have be so particular about what you use. change replaceable things on time and you'll drive these cars longer than you'll ever want to... or can.

You can't match the coolant by color alone. At least I won't be doing this. If you feel safe, go right ahead. FL22 isn't that hard to get nor is it that much more expensive than other formulations. Why not use what Mazda recommends? No need to worry, you won't be feeding Mazda that much more of your money. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back