Intermittent power from USB port (2020 CX-5)

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Something must be loose. The power delivered to the dedicated cel phone recepticle in the center console is intermittent and much affected by bumpy roads. I don't use it that often to charge my phone but I do like to use it with WAZE. Unfortunately the system sort of toggles between connected and not connected so I keep getting my map then losing it further down the road. I wonder if a fix (some kind of replacement) would be fairly easy or very complicated. As it is intermittent I do get the map some, even most of the time (on smooth road) so hesitate to bring up the issue with Mazda. I don't want to spend a week without the car over a USB port. Anyone had a similar problemand if so the cure?

You can try putting a shot of electrical contact cleaner in the port, that might help. The best is probably Deoxit D5. Not cheap but the best I've ever used.

If that helps then a good idea is to get a USB extension cable like this. Keep it plugged into the jack with the cable duct taped down to keep it from moving around and use the other end to plug / unplug your cable to the phone and keep the wear and tear away from the car's port.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a new or different cable? I had that problem a while back and changing out the cable took care of the problem.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. Deoxit isn't available where I am but there is a Silicone spray. Would that help? Or there is a product here called Johnsen's Electronic Cleaner. What about that? Yes I have tried multiple cords but the problem persists so they don't seem to be at fault.

Upvote 0
This may be more of a last resort, but if you're so inclined, you can buy a replacement USB hub/port assembly and then replace the one in your car. The instructions in the thread below, specifically the video in the original post, are written for the AA/ACP retrofit. They should help with disassembly and reassembly if you DIY.

Upvote 0
I don't think silicone spray is a good idea, look for electrical contact cleaner. There's lot of different brands.

Upvote 0
Thank you both. Deoxit isn't available where I am but there is a Silicone spray. Would that help? Or there is a product here called Johnsen's Electronic Cleaner. What about that? Yes I have tried multiple cords but the problem persists so they don't seem to be at fault.
Johnsen's 4600 Electronic Cleaner looks like it would be a good bet.

Upvote 0
Mine does the exact same thing, it’s pretty much unusable. Use the one designed for use with the infotainment screen/car play/AA and/or get a cigarette lighter.

its not the cord, just a super cheap usb port. Might even be 1.0.

Upvote 0
I used the Johnsen's and looks like it worked. Never lost connection on a ride including bummpy terrain. Thanks so much Ranman57!

Upvote 0
Back