CX-5 AWD Traction

This was probably posted here years ago but discusses changes made to '22+

Improvements to an already awesome system, looks to be improved reaction time and economy. I was always amazed the few times when I was out in blizzard conditions the ease at which the vehicle handled in the storm. Always found myself driving around people that were stuck on a hill at an intersection. Back roads were a joy.

I can’t wait until the stock tires are due for replacement on my ‘23 T. I wouldn’t recommend snow tires purely for icy roads (they are snow tires, not ice tires after all lol!), but I chose to drive my ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid with Michelin Cross Climate2’s down our mountain this week in lieu of the Mazda. At least a half mile of our road up top is a damn ice rink and I put the Toyota in Trail mode and crept along at less than 10 mph. It handled it like a champ. The road down had already been cleared by the county thankfully or I wouldn’t have tried it. At least 20 cars wrecked or slid off the road last year when people gave that a try *facepalm*

I don’t trust the Mazda yet with the stock Toyo tires but will have full faith in it with a good set. I’ll likely get CC2s again

I can’t wait until the stock tires are due for replacement on my ‘23 T. I wouldn’t recommend snow tires purely for icy roads (they are snow tires, not ice tires after all lol!), but I chose to drive my ‘21 RAV4 Hybrid with Michelin Cross Climate2’s down our mountain this week in lieu of the Mazda. At least a half mile of our road up top is a damn ice rink and I put the Toyota in Trail mode and crept along at less than 10 mph. It handled it like a champ. The road down had already been cleared by the county thankfully or I wouldn’t have tried it. At least 20 cars wrecked or slid off the road last year when people gave that a try *facepalm*

I don’t trust the Mazda yet with the stock Toyo tires but will have full faith in it with a good set. I’ll likely get CC2s again
They aren’t “ice” tires, but they do bite ice harder than regular all season tires. Almost half the braking distance on glare ice.

this thing is a tank with decent tires. even with good all seasons like my general altimax rt45 tires my cx-5 drives like there's no snow.

my experience with winter tires has told me that the ice performance is better than what the online (both professional and "unprofessional") reviews claim. most winter tires perform MUCH better on ice than even very good all season tires. of course, there is always a winter tire that is better on ice, especially compared to the winter tires i have had.

All season tires are a compromise for winter IMO.

I’ve run Blizzaks since 2016 on my CX-5 as I traverse a mountain pass to my cabin nearly every weekend in the winter. No contest in stopping distance and stability on packed snow and ice. Get well below freezing and rubber compounds of winter tires win everytime.

This old Tirerack video is a good comparison between summer, all season, and winter

If I was driving on ice lakes probably go studded winter

I run X-Ice on my GX 460 and they seem to do fine but going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta next time around

Back