I emailed Mazda USA on synthetic oil for turbo engines

I thought I saw something about Mazda recommending Castrol Synthetic as a option in the Owners manual. I'll have to look around to see where that came from. I have used Pennzoil Platinum since 3000 miles and have had no issues and have never had to add a drop between changes, for 42000 miles on my Turbo. Update: They do recommend Castrol but I didn't see anything about synthetic.

Last edited:
I thought I saw something about Mazda recommending Castrol Synthetic as a option in the Owners manual. I'll have to look around to see where that came from. I have used Pennzoil Platinum since 3000 miles and have had no issues and have never had to add a drop between changes, for 42000 miles on my Turbo. Update: They do recommend Castrol but I didn't see anything about synthetic.
they don't in the 2023 owners manual. it was however in the older owners manuals from 2019 back. they stopped with castrol recommendation in 2020.......

That's just a marketing thing. The oil company pays the OEM to 'recommend' the brand in the manual

I negotiated free synthetic oil changes for a year per the dealer paperwork. Plan on going synthetic blend oil once the free oil changes are completed.

I wouldn't say a lot. You're definitely in the top 30% according to averages.

I wouldn't say a lot. You're definitely in the top 30% according to averages.
I put about the same miles on my Power wagon and another 8000 on my bicycles......

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29
8,000?!? In a year? Assuming so. That's incredible. Can't even imagine.
I do about 500 a half year. (NE Ohio... I don't get 12 months. Still would come nowhere near 8,000 though.
Power wagon? That looks like a trunk?!

IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4835.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg
8,000?!? In a year? Assuming so. That's incredible. Can't even imagine.
I do about 500 a half year. (NE Ohio... I don't get 12 months. Still would come nowhere near 8,000 though.
Power wagon? That looks like a trunk?!
I live in Montana so you put the miles on the bike when you can and lots of good riding in my world. I know guys who put in a well over 12000 miles on bicycles. Yes it is a Ram Power Wagon.

So you put over 30,000 miles on your 4 wheel vehicles, and 8000 on your 2 wheel... are you ever home? :D

So you put over 30,000 miles on your 4 wheel vehicles, and 8000 on your 2 wheel... are you ever home? :D
yes lol..my wife is also driving the cx5 so I am not the only one putting the miles on. She however won't drive my truck. I did not do quite 8000 miles this year. I have 3 bikes and reset mileage every year and one bike had 364 (vintage mtb), one had 3203 new Canyon endurace cf8, and one had 3782 handsome xoxo. the Canyon actually had more miles by probably 200 but I did not get a computer for it for a week or so. We do a lot of roadtrips in the vehicles and I am retired so ride most days. Not sure if you have been to Montana but I think I am probably the norm for vehicle miles I know many who put a lot more on than i do. I have kids and family that we see often that we will drive close to 500 miles round trip for the day to visit. speed limit is 80 so you can do that....

As a long time SAAB owner (but no longer as I sold my last SAAB to my youngest son), SAAB has specified synthetic oil in every Turbo I have ever owned, 1991 9000, 2001 9-3, 2006 9-3 and my last, 2007 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition. I personally would never use anything but synthetic in a turbo car. As for my new, to me, 2021 CX-5 2.5l NA, I got a 3 year oil change package from the Mazda dealer and they use the Mazda 0W20 moly. When that package ends, I am not sure what I will choose, but likely a synthetic. And I never go past 5k mile OCI. When the time comes, I will have some research to do.

As a long time SAAB owner (but no longer as I sold my last SAAB to my youngest son), SAAB has specified synthetic oil in every Turbo I have ever owned, 1991 9000, 2001 9-3, 2006 9-3 and my last, 2007 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition. I personally would never use anything but synthetic in a turbo car. As for my new, to me, 2021 CX-5 2.5l NA, I got a 3 year oil change package from the Mazda dealer and they use the Mazda 0W20 moly. When that package ends, I am not sure what I will choose, but likely a synthetic. And I never go past 5k mile OCI. When the time comes, I will have some research to do.
I don't know of any US Mazda dealers that use the high-moly oil unless requested, since it is much more expensive than the bulk oil all of them use. I would definitely ask for it when it's oil change time and not just assume it's what they're using. It should show on your receipt

I don't know of any US Mazda dealers that use the high-moly oil unless requested, since it is much more expensive than the bulk oil all of them use. I would definitely ask for it when it's oil change time and not just assume it's what they're using. It should show on your receipt
Just make sure you watch them when they do it. Dealerships are crooks by nature, and if the car is in the back shop where you can't see the work being done, there's nothing to stop them from putting in cheap oil and billing you for the good stuff. It happens more than you think.

Just make sure you watch them when they do it. Dealerships are crooks by nature, and if the car is in the back shop where you can't see the work being done, there's nothing to stop them from putting in cheap oil and billing you for the good stuff. It happens more than you think.
Scams can happen anywhere. I worked at a service station years ago and the one kid had an oil scam. He would keep empty oil cans on the oil rack near the gas pumps and when he checked someone's oil he always said they needed a quart or two. Then he'd pull out the fake oil cans and pretended to put it in the engine and pocketed the money. Needless to say the owner got wind of this and fired him.

It bugged me that the Mazda branded 5W30 oil is conventional oil (in USA market) so yesterday I emailed Mazda USA thinking I would probably not get a response back, but to my surprise the next day (today) I received a reply. The reply was "Mazda recommends conventional SAE 5W-30 engine oil be used for your vehicle engine type to ensure that your vehicle operates as intended and to ensure maximum engine performance. If you would rather use synthetic engine oil for your vehicle please consult with the service department of your nearest Mazda to confirm this will not harm your vehicle." how friggin bogus is that?....Has any other car maker recommended a conventional oil in a turbo engine ever?
Im late to this thread --- so - Thats a travesty- I have had some basic questions for Mazda and the customer service line -- well unfortunately seems to get answered by people who have literally ZERO passion for automobiles ? I dont expect that every person will lay out the 10 commandments of auto ownership ....but it seems like whomever I talk with has a lawyer standing next to them - and I get the ambiguous answer thats liability free--- and the big echo ....go to your local dealer and ask them ...yeah -- thats why I called YOU- because they are %$#@&. Does Mazda care ? I suppose they do -- but I dont think they are willing to pay for the talent needed to do that job -- I think its that simple- call center somewhere with someone who eating lunch at home with the dog barking in the background- getting paid min wage - next -

Last edited by a moderator:
I keyed on your post for 2 reasons -- I have a Rhoudim White / Parchment CX5 and Ive never seen another white / white since I picked it up ( its a 23 ) - Then I saw your inquiry on oil -- Thats a slippery question -- and Ive been back and forth on it - You sound pretty well educated on cars so this is just what I found-- In USA/ Canada rec is 0w-20 full syn ..which I use with the Moly from Mazda and do the oil changes myself - Then of course you see that all other 2.5NA engines world wide use
5W-30..and get this non-synthetic ! Also its the recommended oil for the Turbo 2.5 ? -- so more confusing --non-synthetic ? So some say that the emission / "cafe" regulations forced Mazda to use the 0w-20 in the USA- no proof of that however
--- ok- thats considered , and possible , but I went digging further to get actual data on if it delivers the same protection , on start up and provides the same fuel economy and lasts ? all the stuff -- IT appears that the 0W-20 not only protects better on start ups but delivers better fuel economy and engine protection/performance . I think that the 5W-30 is recommended in these other countries due to cost and availability-- its cheaper ...but thats a guess .
Toyota has new 2025 engines running on 0W-16 !
I found a reputable clip of Mobil 1 providing accurate testing data on these 2 specific oils head to head ! The only difference is the 5W-30 tested is full synthetic -- but the 0W-20 still provided better gas mileage and performance - protected as well or better ..and thats against the full syn 5W-30;
Im sticking with the rec 0W-20 as my current other Mazda from 2010 runs on 0W-20 and its over 150,000 miles and dosent burn a drop of oil and runs great- let me know if you decide to switch and why you decided to ,- They use a Corvette C8 NA engine with cylinder deactivation in the test so its a near identical engine to the Mazda with high compression ---so its only difference is dry sump and V8 vs inline4.
Will Thinner Oils Damage Your Engine?

Back