What have you done to your Miata today?

^^^^Know what you mean!

Gave her a bath and snapped some photos of her with the new shoes.

^ Not installing anything, merely just securing it :p

But let's be real, I probably won't get enough people to come out to help drop the motor back in, in time to actually drive that to the cookout so I'll more than likely be in my truck taking up twice the space

^^No excuses! The only thing you sort-of need two people for is dropping the engine in, and even then you can do it by yourself (I have). My first engine swap (which involved completely un-dressing the old engine, and doing all service items and re-dressing the new engine) I did over a single weekend with part-time help from one person who had never really worked on a Miata before. We trailered it to his garage on Friday after I finished work and I drove it home home before dinner on Sunday. For my second swap I had the engine ready to pull in 2 hours, pulled in less than 1hr with a friend, and then dropped back in and driving in 4-5 (by myself), excluding long-block work. It can be hard to get motivated without someone else there, I know that feel bro, but none of the work needs two people.

It's going to take a finite amount of work to get it back together and driving, the only thing you're doing by putting it off is reducing the number of warm sunny days you'll have to drive it this year. Pick away at it, don't let it sit without progress for more than a day or two!

As for what I've done... coolant and oil change. I put some okay oil in, and straight water, after putting this engine in. I did that so I wouldn't have to clean up a serious mess if something leaked (and the reroute hose did once). Now that everything is broken in it was time for the good stuff: AMSOIL 5w40!

This is all literally the first work I've ever done on a miata and the first work with a turbo car...
This is a bit like getting pushed in the pool and finding out if I can swim or drown... Yes the work required may be able to be done by yourself BUT I feel a hell of a lot better with someone there that has expirience in both...
I'm struggling through little by little on my own, I need a few extra parts but should have it all ready to drop in by this weekend... Having someone with Expirience just calms my nerves that I'm doing it right or catching my **** ups...

Take all the pictures, post all the updates, ask all the questions! Ask questions you think you know the answer to. Take pictures of everything you touch and post them along with tightening patterns, torques, your thoughts on why you did stuff, etc. This will do two things: force you to think about each step, and let numerous (and more experienced) people evaluate what you've done and what you plan to do.

If you work carefully though the whole process, using the write-ups on Miata.net, the FSM, and posting everything to your build thread, you'll do just fine. (2thumbs)

I know from my own mistakes that these cars can tolerate a lot of stupid before they break.

Installed an AEM intake under the cover of night...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2474.JPG
    IMG_2474.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    916.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    692.3 KB · Views: 191
Ordered some pimp parts because I'm re-thinking my instrumentation strategy, got with my fabricator to see about getting this thing back on the road. He's going to get me some measurements so I can order some ABS as well, so that a dash like this (except not reflective, ugh) can be fabbed up.

I wanted Halon, but it's apparently no longer being produced, because apparently it's some pretty sh*tty stuff, environmentally speaking. You can still get it, but it's about 150% the price. So, Halotron it was.

Replaced the turret fluid, whatever was in there was nasty...

Also bought a white paint marker for the letters on the tires, saw a pic of that before I bought the car and thought it looked good. Might have to re-touch it.

Back