Another Dyno Tomorrow (AWR)

FasterP5

:
2003.5 P5
Got it Dyno'd today as a baseline :)
(with AEM SRI and SR Motorsports Catback)

Glad to see that I'm getting "the same" as others with comparable mods ....

I'll have a new sheet with AWR header (and front motor mount) tomorrow. :eek:

Attachments

• mazda_dyno1b.jpg
    mazda_dyno1b.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,701
what is that? Is that just two pulls with the same mods? Or is one the stock run, and one with the intake/exhuast?

Get that Header one up man...I have wanted to see a mild mod list including the AWR header for a long time...

FasterP5,

Thanks for the post. Now I know where am at in my P5. I have the same mods so far. I am really looking forward to see the gains
in AWR header. Keep us posted..

Done !

Well, if I assume that I started at the same point (stock) as everyone else (about 98 HP), then I guess I got a little more than a 19 HP increase with Catback, Intake, and AWR Header. . .

As you can see below, AWR Header added 12 HP and fattened the HP and Torque across the band.

Mazda.001 was done at 56 Degrees F, 49% Humidity, AEM CAI and SR Motorsports Catback.

Mazda.004 was done at 54 Degrees F, 46% Humidity, added AWR Header (and Front Motor mount) ....

My wife is test driving it today !
(it is her car after all :rolleyes: )

Oh yeah, what percent HP loss from the crank (130 HP) to the wheels (98 ?) is "universally accepted" for these cars ?

Attachments

• mazda_dyno2b.jpg
    mazda_dyno2b.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,346
i'm now considering getting the AWR header on my car now because of this dyno. it'll up my power considerably with my head and cam work

Yo Andrew !

I also can't wait to see what kind of results you get when (if) you add an AWR header to all your other mods !!!!

Have you been able to tune your cam adjustment for max HP/TQ ?

Did you keep track of MPG changes with your mods ?

I think I didn't specifically mention it before - my header is Jet-Hot ceramic coated (makes a huge difference in under hood temperature, fast cool off, and supposedly a little HP )
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• awr_hdr_ctr1b.jpg
    awr_hdr_ctr1b.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 857
my cam gears were sent to me on monday so hopefully i'll get them very early in the new year. i'll be very interested to see how adjusting the cams goes...

i dont usually keep track of MPG changes. I cant be bothered. but i know for sure i'll never get 760km's out of a tank again (was highway driving through the australian alps). but around town, i get about 200-250k's out of half a tank. used to get about 215-275k's out of half a tank.

i love the look of those headers! great coating!!!

i cant remember who said it, might have been you, but did you have to mod the radiator etc to fit the header?

coating (both the inside and outside) is totally the way to go.... it WILL add performance to the header.. and reducing underhood temperatures helps everything.

looks great btw.

and THESE types of posts are awesome.... dynos results!

Andy I saw the same thing as you I think...You don't have to permenantly mod the radiator, but most commented that it is much easier to remove the fan(S) before the work...Then reinstall the blades after the header is in place...

Also on average a 2.0L north american protege looses about 30whp between the flywheel and pavement/rollers...the % loss changes a little with the mods made, but you still loose almost identically the same amount of bhp through the drivetrain...Depending on the type of dyno used, the base run numbers can be very different...On DynoJet dyno's I have seen average numbers around 101whp...I saw a base run on a P5 as high as 106whp on a DynoJet, but also one as low as 95whp...all I have seen were between those two extremes (on a DynoJet)...

But a few have used mustang dyno's as well as other types...the base runs on a Mustang Dyno were around 90whp from what I remember...

Either way it is irrelevant if you use the same dyno to compare the numbers and mods...That is what keeps it consistent and accurate...The overall numbers don't really mean much, but the gains you make usually hold equal when compared to another dyno results...

Back