2012 Mazda5

MazdaUSA.com 2012 Mazda5 site up-n-running

Here you go,

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MZ5

2012 Exterior Dimensions
Wheelbase (in) 108.3
Track, front (in) 60.2
Track, rear (in) 59.8
Length (in) 180.5
Width (in) 68.9
Height (in) 63.6
Minimum ground clearance (in) 5.5

2010 Exterior Dimensions
Width: 69.0 in.
Height: 64.2 in.
Length: 181.5 in.
Front track: 60.2 in.
Rear track: 59.6 in.
Wheel base: 108.3 in.
Ground clearance: 5.5 in.

Autotrader also has many cars in inventory with pictures

Attachments

• 2010_mz5_dimensions_mz5.jpg
    2010_mz5_dimensions_mz5.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 127
  • 2012_mz5_dimensions_mz5.jpg
    2012_mz5_dimensions_mz5.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
So I serviced my car and they had a couple of 2012s already in inventory. Did not test drive as there were no manual transmission ones but I climbed up in the Grand Touring they had in the showroom (and key available to play with the toys)

Pros:
  • Either the profile waves are not that pronounced or the white color hides them nicely
  • The gauges and the interior make the cockpit very inviting, love them... and make mine look dated already :(
  • The sliding doors rolling resistance has improved, they feel even lighter, more sophisticated, really nice
  • Value for the money. I'm still in love with a sub USD$25k people mover that can have a Grand Touring package. Keeping a very simple/frugal design philosophy is good
  • Leather feels very nice, and love the pattern, especially compared to my boring Odyssey pattern and stitching.
  • The hatch opening is now electric (button push), cool touch

Cons:
  • Love the white pearl tone, but the grin really shows! :D
  • Where is the temp gauge? Mazda3 complaint as well I'm sure :)
  • No more popular package for *any* Sport, but I guess the side sills/skirts are the same as the previous model. Also the OEM spoiler is no longer fully integrated like in the past (w/ stop light and window mist/sprinkler) so it should be easier to install as an accessory
  • The Sport with manual tranny is being even more relegated if you look at the options you can get with it (US model of course)
  • 16in wheels for the Sport (US), really?
  • Chrome exhaust tip deleted once again (like the early 2006 models)

See thumbnails for some phone pics I snatched

Attachments

• 2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_1.jpg
    2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_2.jpg
    2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_3.jpg
    2012_Mazda5_at_Dealer_Feb_2011_3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Just wanted to share my wife's 2012 Mazda 5. As for looks you need the larger 17" wheels that comes on the touring and the fog lights, for now I will buy my wife the fog lights and rear spoiler and give her my Mazda 6 17" oem wheels since I'm upgrading to 18"s. We bought the cheapest one Sport model automatic, GOOD power, much better than a mazda 3 automatic for sure and fuel economy and the steering wheel is a dream.

Touring model fog lights and 17" wheels
mazda52.jpg

Mine no fogs, 16" wheels. (it really needs the fog lights and 17" wheels)
mazda53.jpg

mazda5g.jpg

Last edited:
I see no problem with the 16" wheels. May make it ride better with the extra sidewall and slightly less unsprung weight. Fuel economy may benefit microscopically too. ;)

My only CONS right now are this:

1) Only 1 12v outlet in the front :(
2) MP3/WMA and Aux mp3 input are nice, but either the wattage of the radio or speakers suck.

Ohh Ahhh, I'm liking it.

Photoshop but this is how it will look like, (tinted windows will not be so dark)

mazda517.jpg

2) MP3/WMA and Aux mp3 input are nice

True, the MP3/WMA compatibility is now standard, it just took Mazda 5 years, LOL

I like the earlier generation 17in Mazda6 wheels, I think it is the generation when the best wheels came out on any Mazda model (Mazda3, Mazda5, RX-8, MS3...) or I guess I'm just biased :D

I've seen two 2012's now. One, out in the real world, was white. The other, at the local auto show last weekend, was the silver-blue similar to cd's above.
Both shades seemed to minimize the "Nagare waves" but I'm still not a fan. Would it be too much to hope that by 2013 they return to a simpler, non-waved body panel?

Last edited:
I've seen two 2012's now. One, out in the real world was white. The other, at the local auto show last weekend, was the silver-blue similar to cd's above.
Both shades seemed to minimize the "Nagare waves" but I'm still not a fan. Would it be too much to hope that by 2013 they return to a simpler, non-waved body panel?

We just bought a 2010 Mazda 5 GS (Sport to you in the U.S.), I hope that by the time we're ready to change cars in a couple years time the smiley face will be updated to whatever design language Mazda would have by then. Hopefully for the better!! :)

I am looking for a 6MT Manual transmission 2012, but it looks like in USA you are forced to buy the base model if you want a 6MT.

SAD!

I am looking for a 6MT Manual transmission 2012, but it looks like in USA you are forced to buy the base model if you want a 6MT.

SAD!
To make matters worse, the base model is limited to 3 color choices and now only the silver comes with the dark interior. The dark gray use to come with dark interior. Light interior and kids do not mix. I also don’t understand why Mazda choose to NOT to allow the aero kit as an option on the manual but available for the auto!? You’d think a manual is sportier than an auto and should be accompanied with a sporty aero kit..? Is my logical flawed?

I can only think that the sad truth is Mazda really does not believe US drivers buy manuals and they only make it an option to allow a low MSRP. Otherwise, we should have the same packing as Canada, which makes sense.

Mazda USA need to fire their product planners, or should I say bean counters…

Last edited:

SAD!

If you are lucky to find one! At least the side skirts, spoiler, 17in wheels should be available and more "bolt-on" (not like the earlier gen spoiler)

The 6MT looks promising, if we compare the corresponding 5th s, it is effectively an extra gear, not just an in-between blend

2012 Transmission Gear ratios: 6MT 5AT Sport
1st 3.454 3.620
2nd 1.842 1.925
3rd 1.233 1.285
4th 0.914 0.933
5th 0.755 0.692
6th 0.680 -
Reverse 3.198 3.405
Final drive 4.105 3.458

2010 Transmission Gear ratios: 5MT 5AT Sport
1st 3.307 3.620
2nd 1.842 1.925
3rd 1.310 1.285
4th 0.970 0.933
5th 0.755 0.692
Reverse 3.166 3.405
Final drive 4.388

2010 source: http://www.kieswettermazda.com/New_Vehicles/2010-Mazda5-Specs.php

2012 source: http://www.kieswettermazda.com/New_Vehicles/2012-Mazda5-Specs.php

To make matters worse, the base model is limited to 3 color choices and now only the silver comes with the dark interior. The dark gray use to come with dark interior. Light interior and kids do not mix. I also don’t understand why Mazda choose to NOT to allow the aero kit as an option on the manual but available for the auto!? You’d think a manual is sportier than an auto and should be accompanied with a sporty aero kit..? Is my logical flawed?

I recall that was a good discussion here in the forum when Mazda dropped it for the 2008 Tourings and the 5MT 2008 Sports would no longer carry the Popular Package. I still don't know how my people mover made it with the package (dunno)

Didn't the Popular Package get cancelled for 2009 MY? Or perhaps since everything in the Popular Package could be dealer installed, each individual dealer was free to continuing offer it if they wanted in the 2008 MY.

Fuel economy ratings in Canada:

MT, 2010 vs. 2012:
9.6/7.0 vs. 9.7/6.8 (L/100km)

AT, 2010 vs. 2012:
9.9/7.2 vs. 9.5/6.7 (L/100km)

So, what theories can we come up with? The new 2.5L engine with more torque lower on the RPM curve provides modest benefits to both transmissions in terms of city acceleration but economy wise is more optimized for the automatic transmission's torque converter so the manual transmission city fuel economy suffers a little bit. Thanks to the extra gear however, it actually sees a gain in highway economy, although the automatic is still more fuel efficient overall.

I really want the new model, I really like it, but without the extra seat I have to think about it really long and hard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back