what carbon fiber parts would you want for the MSP?

carbon rear and front strut tower bars
carbon triple gauge A pillars with matching passenger side
carbon amp rack (maybe? LOL)
carbon interior door panels?
carbon interior door levers
carbon dash with no radio cutout..just make it so that ppl have to cut it themselves
carbon 2003.5 lip would be dope
carbon exterior door handles

oh i thought it would be something like this
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/Q/1/1/ag_07ms6_spoiler.jpg

with a third brakelight. that would be awesome.
i agree, and options incorporating a brakelight were discussed. there were a lot of concerns with it though, namely price and quality. if it doesnt look good im not going to ship it, and burning through the CF to find out isnt particularly appealing to me. i agree with wagonbacker that the form wouldnt work, but even aside from that, most of these newfound "wingless or die" types want it super low profile so fitting a light would be tough anyways.

as for the other stuff...
carbon rear and front strut tower bars - too structural
carbon triple gauge A pillars with matching passenger side - already made by DGM. a lot of work for something thats already out there. if i had enough people maybe.
carbon amp rack (maybe? LOL) - this would actually be really interesting and would probably save 40 pounds. ill put it on the list.
carbon interior door panels? - crazy expensive and not a lot of people interested. if we cant get enough people together for fenders i doubt well find it for interior door panels
carbon interior door levers - theres talk of doing the surround trim piece in CF, i dont think id do the handle itself.
carbon dash with no radio cutout..just make it so that ppl have to cut it themselves - maybe, i think there wouldnt be enough demand
carbon 2003.5 lip would be dope - yes it would. thats a long way away though. also would be extremely expensive because of all the labor.
carbon exterior door handles - id have to look in to removing the handles, but its a possibility.

They are rare, but they are out there...I have a set of front/back ones...

101_1136.jpg

Are you making anything for the P5? What I would want is some type of rear bumper spoiler thingy. Don't really know how to explain it. But something added to the bumper (near the wheel well) that would make it a little more aggressive looking.

like a fender flare? rear diffuser? side splitter? i dont think im going to do any of those... DGM makes CF flares, west wings has a widebody kit (i think?), rear diffuser is maybe in the works from someone else and i wouldnt do a side splitter since it would be so low to the ground. google around for images and get back to me on what you were thinking, i want to see if i got it right.

just a short update, next week is my spring break, and i hope to work on the mirror cover (shelved due to a much larger eyelid demand than i was expecting) and to get down-n-dirty with the spoiler. im planning on both p5 and protege spoilers, so if anyone knows any p5's near albany i'm looking for some help. i know theres a protege DX down the block, i can always test fit my sedan spoiler on his car in the dead of night.

quick update before bed...

now that things have calmed down with the eyelids im back to molding things. up first is the rearview mirror cover. i made an original in fiberglass, put it back on the mirror and molded it. the mold came out good and is stupidly strong (i can stand on it) but man it took some work to get the stuff out with the double curvature and negative draft angles. see carnage in pictures... the mirror is shattered and the original is in two pieces haha... having a mold adhere to your originals isnt a bad thing, it actually means the mold came out good. im looking forward to the covers in CF!

the lip spoiler is also underway, i cut down a 4x4 to look like our trunk line, filled the pores with resin yesterday and just put a second coat on the wood and original spoiler. ill do a little sanding and waxing and will be ready to take a mold sometime this week.

the mold for sail panels is done too, and has been done for some time, but hasnt generated much interest. im not tossing the mold or anything, so if youre interested, PM me.

and also the vacuum system is complete and is extremely impressive. without going into much detail, i did a shitload of research and was able to make something apply 20 in Hg of vacuum for way less than the 500-600 dollars it takes for professional grade stuff. in fact, it cost me less than 30 dollars.
so suck it you pros who can afford nice things that dont involve reverse engineering household products.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 342
yeah man its pretty fun, it just takes a lot of time, and the investment cost was nothing to laugh at. im about halfway there from my eyelid sales. its just a hobby for me - im not a pro and i hope people understand that, but so far ive only had one customer who couldnt get the fit right on either of the two sets i sent him (so im thinking its the car), and one who didnt get as many of the pinholes out as he hoped. im considering glazing treatment to even them out even more. i take it seriously and im pretty happy with how its gone to date, so i hope the orders keep up as i get into more of the stuff that isnt currently offered like the lip spoiler and mirror cover.

HEHE... if you guys only knew... I've been bugging the s*** outa him about it VIA PM.

I'll let him update though. I'm hopefully gonna be pimping one at MWMF for those of you going.

(For those of you not... you fale)

haha thanks. the spoiler has been bugging the s*** out of me so wagonbacker doesnt help haha. the short answer is "some" - its getting there. the long answer is below.

basically, im trying to find a way to get not only the top of it but the back as well... think of NASCAR, they have true "2D" spoilers, where its just a bent sheet. they dont have volume, like most extruded commercial lip spoilers. i tried explaining to him... i want the mold to be like this _/| not like _/ so it "has a back" and volume like most of the "m3 style" lip spoilers have... not just thickness like NASCAR. i hope someone made sense of that.

well anyways, i couldnt get the fiberglass to wrap over the top radius tightly, so i have to work in goofy ass-backward two-part ways that are not particularly fun, quick, or easy. the fiberglass is currently done in two parts, one for the back, one for the top, and is butt-jointed at the top. two layers like that are done (they can only be done one at a time), and if things go well ill have a third down tonight. after that i cover all of it as best i can with 3 or so more layers of fiberglass, then pray as i pull the mold off. assuming that goes well, i then get to fill the joint with plasticine, wax it, make a test piece and hope it fits.

honestly, as well as i tried to prepare for the challenges of making this mold, the butt joining wasnt really in the plans. i sincerely hope i can get the mold off in one piece, but the factors of complication have gone from "a few" to "extremely, extremely many". if it doesnt go well, im looking at having to do either a true two-part mold, or make the whole mold in CF. so yeah, some progress, its getting there, but it just takes a lot of care, time, and attention, and i havent had as much time as id like for it recently. maybe there will be news by this weekend. i definitely know id like that.

other progress, for those of you keeping score at home, is pretty minimal. i had a busy week after spring break and last week i had the flu. i finally got back to work this past weekend with putting down another layer on the spoiler, i did a set of eyelids in CF (which came out great), started marking up a CF sheet to cut into DIN gauge holders, and did some customer work.

i still have plenty to get done, and the spoiler is pretty high up the list despite things like the mirror cover being closer to finished.

Back