LED taillights for mp5

Got my LED's off ebay from 'led_warehouse'. The turn signals are plenty bright- even in bright sun light. No loss of output there. You do have to get resistors so they don't blink crazy fast. They add to the cost.
The brake lights aren't quite as bright as the regular bulbs, but they're close enough. The red kind of "hot spots" instead of lighting up the whole lense. I took pics, but haven't put them on my computer yet. I'll do that over the next couple days. The front turns didn't come out well 'cause of glare from the sun off the headlight reflectors. So I'll have to try them again.
Overall I think doing the turn signals is worth it 'cause it looks cool. Does it add safety? I dunno. But it's fun and I haven't seen any other P5's with LED lights in my area.

Canecreekfreak said:
Got my LED's off ebay from 'led_warehouse'. The turn signals are plenty bright- even in bright sun light. No loss of output there. You do have to get resistors so they don't blink crazy fast. They add to the cost.
The brake lights aren't quite as bright as the regular bulbs, but they're close enough. The red kind of "hot spots" instead of lighting up the whole lense. I took pics, but haven't put them on my computer yet. I'll do that over the next couple days. The front turns didn't come out well 'cause of glare from the sun off the headlight reflectors. So I'll have to try them again.
Overall I think doing the turn signals is worth it 'cause it looks cool. Does it add safety? I dunno. But it's fun and I haven't seen any other P5's with LED lights in my area.

Do you have altezza kind tails lights?

Ok, finally got the pics loaded onto my computer. The left sides are always the LED's, while the right side of these pics is the regular bulbs. As stated previously, the turns are just as bright if not brighter in person. The brake tails kind of "hot spot", but the intensity is still pretty good. Email me if you have any Q's.
Thanks!

bulb.JPG

front turns.JPG

rear far.JPG

rear near.JPG

turns far.JPG

Last edited:
canecreekfreak where did you purchase your LEDs from? The ones I the 360 deg. ones wouldn't fit into my front turn signals so they sent me the regular straight ones and they are so ugly but yours look good and will fit cause they are long and narrow.

the resistors I got from an electronics shop for half price then what they sell at the led websites(laugh)

so basically you can hardly see the LEDs in the daylight right? at least thats what it looks like in the pics...............

KanseiZM said:
I have LEDs for my rear turn signals.. 24 red LEDs in each. I don't feel that they are bright enough during the day, but at night they look fine. The problem is that they are too easily washed out by sunlight. I'd love LED brakelights but I won't go near them until I see them on a Protege5 during the day and it is as bright as the stock bulbs.

I have the same kind of thing. I put red 360 degree LEDs in for my rear signals and during the day, they aren't that bright, but at night they match the brake light perfectly. I also have LEDs in my rear brake lights, and the LED strip on the 03.5MSP wing, so at night when I'm braking, I can see the red reflection off of a car 100 feet behind me, lol. When someone is right behind me, I can see the red lights lighting up their interior, it's great, I love how bright they are!

Is it really worth it if you get rear-ended and the other insurance company finds out you had aftermarket/illegal tail lights?

I Smell Pain. If i was the ig'nant tailgater who hit you i would rejoice.... because i would win.

Don't do it. IMHO

The taillights/brakelights light up just fine, we recomend any LED
that has bulbs in a 360 degree pattern, at the very least, but the 'towers' are the way to go.

The reverse, fender blinkers or front signals aren't an issue, but the rear
signal, we figure because the glass is just smooth, no pattern, do not light up very well in direct sunlight with just basic 360 degree bulbs, but the towers work pretty good.

If you want to get rid of the rear amber, your other option is to go with a chrome coated bulb, either amber or red.

Any question, just post or check out our site, cdnautoworks.com (toronto area) or autolumination.com (everywhere else)

Mike

I'm concern about the speeding blinking LED for the turn signal.
members said it blinks fast. but how fast? twice as fast as the "normal" bulb?

Thanks!

VPower said:
I'm concern about the speeding blinking LED for the turn signal.
members said it blinks fast. but how fast? twice as fast as the "normal" bulb?

Thanks!
Really fast. It thinks you have a bulb burnt out!

has anyone installed these Spiderlites on their P5?? they look nice, but am worried about the daylight issue most LED's have. they're a bit pricey too! check out www.spiderlite.com for more details.

Latest posts

Back