Shortening stock shifter/I shortened the stock shifter

Mp5speed

:
Mp5 2003
shortening factory shifter?

I was looking at the factory shift rod and noticed that the silver looking extension piece that is attached to the main rod. I was wondering if its possible to just unscrew this extra extension piece off and then make sort of a simple short shifter? Heres a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• 111620059397_290_1.jpg
    111620059397_290_1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,328
it is glued on, you need to heat it up and yank it off. i used a torch in the past on the ones i did

xFLiPsTyLeZx said:
whats underneath it?

nothing - but that's the old skool shifter mod. way before B&M, kartboy, ebay...

I wouldn't waste the time, now that you can get a shifter off ebay for $30-40.

Been there, done that..get an aftermarket shifter. I like the B&M the best. Trying to get a shift knob to stay on without the threads is tough.

I did it to mine.. pretty simple..

- heat it up with a torch
- use vise-grips to pull out extension piece
- remove rubber insert
- glob on contruction adhiesive
- put extension back on and let it dry

It lowers it about 1.5" or so.. not that bad at all

To bad the shifter rod under the extension doesnt have threads.. or it would be so much easier :(

It still won't give you a shorter throw, just a shorter look. I've done it to both of my Jetta's and some other cars yes it looks nice I mean I've cut my Short Shifter down twice to get the feel I want. It's really short too.... but the length of the lower section is what gives you the shorter throw. If your going for just looks, then cut the thing. If you want a short shifter and don't want to pay a lot for one, get an integra short shifter and it will work fine.

I shortened the stock shifter

So, after reading tons of unclear threads on shortening the stock shifter, I decided to give it a try. I planned on getting a kartboy & bushings in the future anyways, so it wouldn't really matter if I didn't like it.

I'll start w/ a How To:

Tools:
Philips Screwdriver
Blowtorch (Propane is your best bet)
Hacksaw or Dremel with cutting discs
Wide Tape (Gorilla Tape or duct tape)
Strong Epoxy (Any 2 part epoxy should be strong enough)
Pliers or vice-grips

Getting to the Shifter:
With the E-brake on, pull out the surrounding trim around the e-brake handle.

Grab the trim around the shifter (includes cupholders) right where it was touching the e-brake trim and pull it up.

Unscrew the shift knob and pull it off.

Remove the two screws on the front corners of the shift boot holder.

Remove the shift boot. The boot itself is slotted and fits over 8 (2 on each side of the square) plastic tabs.

Removing the Extension
You will now see the aluminum extension piece and the black steel shifter itself. There are two small holes on the extension, they do not have any type of set screws or anything like that, so just ignore those.

You will now need to use a torch to heat up the aluminum extension. After a while, the rubber piece underneath it will begin to smoke. I suggest having a second person try periodically to grab, twist, and pull up and the extension with a pair of pliers. Pulling the extension off requires some effort, so it's best to have one person focusing on the torch and one person trying to pull it off.

Once you get the extension off, set it down outside the car. It, along with the rubber piece still on the shifter, will still be hot.

Shortening the Shifter
Once the rubber has cooled down a bit, you can begin cutting the stock shifter. It is a hollow tube, but it's made of steel and the walls are relatively thick. It can be cut with a hacksaw, but a Dremel makes the job much easier. I cut the shifter about an inch below the bottom of the rubber piece. This will drop the shift knob about 2.5" or so.

I suggest putting a plastice bag around the shifter so that you don't get the metal shavings all over the place.

Where you decide to cut the shifter is up to you. Remember that you will be putting the aluminum extension back on, so that will add some height.

Reattaching the Extension
The extension will slip back over your shifter, but there will be some play because you no longer have the rubber vibration dampener. I wrapped some black Gorilla Tape (very similar to duct tape, but with a stronger adhesive) around the cut shifter, so that the tape was flush with the top. You don't need much to fill the gap between the shifter and the extension.

Try putting the extension back on to see if you need more or less tape. In the end, you want a very snug fit.

Once you get the tape on there, put some strong epoxy on the inside of the extension and slip it back onto the shifter. The epoxy will keep the shifter from rotating.

These steps are important for several reasons. Reattaching the extension allows you to reattach the stock knob back onto the threads, without having to use any set screws or anything like that. The extension is also necessary to hold the top ring of the shift boot in place.

The tape and epoxy are a very secure way of reattaching the extension, and the tape will provide some vibration dampening, just as the original rubber piece did.

Put it all back together
Once you you have the extension back on, reattach the shift boot, install the shift knob and make sure it is oriented correctly before the epoxy dries.

Put the two screws back into place.

Put all of the center console trim back in place.

Last edited:
Pictures.

The last picture is with the stock shifter at stock height for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • IMG_2411.JPG
    IMG_2411.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
And here are my impressions:

Cutting the stock shifter is not the same as getting a short throw shifter. IT DOES REDUCE THE THROW, but not as much as a short-shifter. Since you have less leverage, it becomes slighly harder to move the shifter itself. I actually like this a lot better, since the stock shifter always felt too soft to me.

It looks much better. The area around the shifter looks much cleaner and sportier. The shifter is very comfortable to use. The throw is comfortable and the height is great.

I don't notice any difference in vibration since I removed the vibration dampenere. I attribute this to the method that I used to reattach the extension.

Overall, I reccomend this if you are looking for a slightly shorter throw and a much better look. If you have the extra money, just buy an actual short shifter. But if you are bored and don't feel like spending much money, this is an easy mod to do.

nice write up, but $50 is all I spent on my imitation/ebay SS, Have you considered extending the bottom half of your shifter to further shorten the throws?

I know that it can be done, but I'd much rather just buy a short shifter. Like you said, buying one isn't too expensive. I just did this because it was extremely cheap and I was bored, but I was very impressed with the results.

I just spent the $128 and got the shifter/knob/bushings from kartboy.

Getting installed this weekend!

kartboy.jpeg

-R

Back