Why does every dealer insist on Diesel

Yes, we are talking about reasonably priced SUV's in the US too, not sport coupes/sedans/roadsters.

0-60 mph in 9.2 seconds (or about 9.5 seconds for the gasser 2.0L version and 8.0 seconds for the 2.5L gasser) is hardly jaw dropping. The diesel torque is impressive and useful in a SUV, the actual acceleration and low redline not very impressive. None of these engines are acceptable for use in my sport sedans. I too need significantly more powerful engines for exceptional acceleration.

In regards to the oil burner being utilized by Mazda as a premium engine for power output...

Let's hope they have, least ways, for the new 6, something else hidden up their sleeve, perhaps for use in a new Mazdaspeed (MS6) variant.

But for daily people hauling and commuting, bring on that SA diesel. I'll be on the dealer lot, signing the dotted line the day that thing arrives in the new MZ6.

Yes, we are talking about reasonably priced SUV's in the US too, not sport coupes/sedans/roadsters.

0-60 mph in 9.2 seconds (or about 9.5 seconds for the gasser 2.0L version and 8.0 seconds for the 2.5L gasser) is hardly jaw dropping. The diesel torque is impressive and useful in a SUV, the actual acceleration and low redline not very impressive. None of these engines are acceptable for use in my sport sedans. I too need significantly more powerful engines for exceptional acceleration.

I goofed up on my earlier post . the acceleration times I gave are for are 0-62 (which is 0-100kmh) not 0-60 the difference on my old car would be a .3 second reduction.

There are many reasons for differences in performance perception in UK vs USA. AUS.

it's more crowded in the UK the roads are generally narrower and fuel is expensive. SUV's have a more premium image over here also on any straight fast road you're likely to meet a speed camera.

You'd not often be able to make use of 'jaw dropping' performance here without ending up in a hedge!

The diesels do suit the vehicle well and as you say the torque is impressive. I can't comment for the 6. I find my cx-5 keeps up with the vast majority of vehicles on the uk roads. I'm always catching up with the vehicles in front of me, with no effort at all, mid range torque to blame there.

I goofed up on my earlier post . the acceleration times I gave are for are 0-62 (which is 0-100kmh) not 0-60 the difference on my old car would be a .3 second reduction.

There are many reasons for differences in performance perception in UK vs USA. AUS.

it's more crowded in the UK the roads are generally narrower and fuel is expensive. SUV's have a more premium image over here also on any straight fast road you're likely to meet a speed camera.

You'd not often be able to make use of 'jaw dropping' performance here without ending up in a hedge!

The diesels do suit the vehicle well and as you say the torque is impressive. I can't comment for the 6. I find my cx-5 keeps up with the vast majority of vehicles on the uk roads. I'm always catching up with the vehicles in front of me, with no effort at all, mid range torque to blame there.

Good perspective on UK driving, I haven't driven there in over 25 years, but I've heard speed camera enforcement has become especially oppressive with primary goal of revenue generation. I have no plans to drive in UK again, but back then it was fun.

0-62 mph in 9.2 seconds is hardly jaw-dropping but certainly acceptable for a SUV and the torque of the diesel really suits a SUV.

I find my cx-5 keeps up with the vast majority of vehicles on the uk roads. I'm always catching up with the vehicles in front of me, with no effort at all, mid range torque to blame there.

Even the lowest powered CX-5 with the 2.0L gas engine keeps up with the vast majority of the vehicles here, actually, after 9,000 miles, I've never seen a vehicle driving on public roads in such a manner that the 2.0L gas engine couldn't easily hang with it. The rare person who thinks public roads are some kind of government sponsored race track would be happier with the more powerful diesel. For normal, responsible driving the 2.0L has more than adequate power. It's a very rare situation that requires me to tap all the available power.

And I'm also always catching up to vehicles in front with no effort at all. Unless you consider it effort to depress the pedal.

The performance of the CX-5 diesel is good, but many cars are quicker, I'm a regular reader of whatcar and every week a car is tested that out performs the diesel.

But for a SUV its a great car to drive.

Good perspective on UK driving, I haven't driven there in over 25 years, but I've heard speed camera enforcement has become especially oppressive with primary goal of revenue generation. I have no plans to drive in UK again, but back then it was fun.

0-62 mph in 9.2 seconds is hardly jaw-dropping but certainly acceptable for a SUV and the torque of the diesel really suits a SUV.

Yes that seems to be the idea with the speed cameras I pass 6 on my 6.6 mile commute. And the government is considering raising the speed limits on motorways to 80. I happen to like that idea but they'll get more fuel duty from those who drive at 80 rather than 70. I can see where my fuel savings with be going!

Yes that seems to be the idea with the speed cameras I pass 6 on my 6.6 mile commute.

6 cameras in 6.6 miles is nuts, they are very rare in California thankfully (respecting the rights of the individual, etc.).

Jaw Dropping acceleration performance from a CX-5?

I guess you Aussies had deprived driving experiences in past years if the acceleration of any version of the CX-5 causes jaw drpping.

When I want exceptional acceleration I turn to vehicles that are either a lot lighter or have much bigger, more powerful engines.

For cripes, it's a frickin' SUV!

Consider my use of the term "jaw dropping" as relative to what I have posted, MikeM.

I stated that I am fairly gentle with throttle application, this can be seen in my average fuel consumption of 6.3 litres/100km.
I drive with smoothness and efficiency in mind, thus the acceleration (for a diesel SUV) continues to amaze me every time the accelerator is given a decent prod.

I live in a rural area where the pace of life is fairly relaxed as opposed to capital cities, where people accelerate from traffic lights as if it's a "christmas tree" on a drag strip!
What is jaw dropping for me is merely adequate for the majority.

Aussie muscle car scene is very healthy, no deprivation of experience on this side of the pond.
I appreciate your perspective MikeM.

Last edited:
I used to live near Watford, London. Heading to the centre of Watford would take me along a section of road with 2.8 camera per mile.

The A34 by Cannock was worse at 3.8 cameras per mile on one section.

But beaten by Camarthenshire, South Wales with a section of road with 5.8 cameras per mile.

Can't verify the last two stats personally, but I drove along the stretch in Watford many times!

I used to live near Watford, London. Heading to the centre of Watford would take me along a section of road with 2.8 camera per mile.

The A34 by Cannock was worse at 3.8 cameras per mile on one section.

But beaten by Camarthenshire, South Wales with a section of road with 5.8 cameras per mile.

Can't verify the last two stats personally, but I drove along the stretch in Watford many times!

I'm not sure why you guys would tolerate this crap.

Just drive to the speed limit and chill, what is there to stress about. If you want to go a bit faster, there are plenty of track days in the uk.

In Switzerland , cameras are mobile and camouflaged. No chance of seeing them, hidden at the side of remote areas,speed limit here is 50mph so 55 will get you a 50 at least. It's just money fines unless you are going really fast.

Last edited:
Just drive to the speed limit and chill, what is there to stress about. If you want to go a bit faster, there are plenty of track days in the uk.

In Switzerland , cameras are mobile and camouflaged. No chance of seeing them, hidden at the side of remote areas,speed limit here is 50mph so 55 will get you a 50 at least. It's just money fines unless you are going really fast.

Accidentally going 6 mph over the limit, needing a track day, no thanks. Better to just hire a driver and avoid the crap.

So going 10% over speed limit will get you a fine?

All, I dropped my CX-5 diesel. It was 7 years old and I had enjoyed the response from the punchy engine. However, it kept getting engine oil light errors (120,000km travelled) and Mazda Australia offered to replace the short block for free- seems this is a fault with the diesels - at least the vintage I had - but this was 9/11 2020 believe it or not and the middle of COVID breakout in Victoria, Australia plus Mazda had no short blocks until maybe Xmas. We decided to upgrade to a CX-8 petrol which has not long come out in Oz, and love it. Yes, it's way short on the torquey punch of the CX-5 but we aren't towing, just 'tarmac cruising' plus the wife loves it which is the key factor ;-). The 2.5l engine has enough power for our needs. Others may have different views, just a 'heads up' about potential problems with the diesels. Stay safe out there.

All, I dropped my CX-5 diesel. It was 7 years old and I had enjoyed the response from the punchy engine. However, it kept getting engine oil light errors (120,000km travelled) and Mazda Australia offered to replace the short block for free- seems this is a fault with the diesels - at least the vintage I had - but this was 9/11 2020 believe it or not and the middle of COVID breakout in Victoria, Australia plus Mazda had no short blocks until maybe Xmas. We decided to upgrade to a CX-8 petrol which has not long come out in Oz, and love it. Yes, it's way short on the torquey punch of the CX-5 but we aren't towing, just 'tarmac cruising' plus the wife loves it which is the key factor ;-). The 2.5l engine has enough power for our needs. Others may have different views, just a 'heads up' about potential problems with the diesels. Stay safe out there.
The SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel has been having series of major problems in recent years. Other than the oil dilution issue, sudden over-heating without any warnings which would cause blown head-gasket is another major problem going on. I’d dump the 2.2L diesel as soon as possible if I had one.

Since we don’t get new CX-8 here in the US, I was wondering why you chose the CX-8 over similar-sized CX-9?

Back