What project car should I get?

What would make an awesome project/race/weekend car?

• MR-2

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • 3000GT/Stealth

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 300ZX TT

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 944 Turbo

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

JamesCH

:
2009 Mazdaspeed3; 1991 Turbo Miata
I really like my MS3, it's a fun DD and it can kick some serious ass if it needs to.

But when it comes to racing I'm very much a purist, the best car I've ever driven was the rear engine rwd car in my avatar. Unfortunately I can't drive her anymore because I'm not longer in FSAE (graduated... damn...) so I have been trying to find an interesting car to essentially race outfit, and I'd like it to be something not all the common, at least in my area. My list is as follows:

Toyta MR2: 1st or 2nd gen, mid engine RWD is awesome, car is nice and light with excellent handling

Mitsubushi 3000GT TT/Dodge Stealth R/T TT: 320hp twin-turbo with AWD and AWS seems very dangerous

Nissan 300ZX TT: in it's day it had the best hp/weight ratio for an affordable car, I love the high-ish redline, stance/poise and lack of power steering

Porsche 944 Turbo: great looks, 50/50 weight distribution, good power, and well... it's a porsche, and probably the only one i could find or afford

Any thoughts? Experience? Other suggestions?

MR2 would be the most fun to drive and easiest to obtain parts for I would think. 944T would be my next choice over the others.

as far as budget I'd pick the mr2 or 300zx....both are capable of awesome builds without breaking the bank. The porsche is an amazing car on the track, but parts can get quite costly I used to own one....was a great car until I started upgrading and replacing worn parts, then it got way too costly for what I wanted it for. Thank goodness for mid life crises, found a guy that took it for far more then I would have let it go for, lol.

I always thought MR2's were really expensive to maintain? They can be made to be pretty damn fast I know that!

MR-Tizzle. They seem to be the best bang for the buck as far as I can see. 2nd gens can be a little heavy from what I've read.

When I think of a track event car I think BMW e30 325is, e36 M3, or a Miata.

I would get the Z. Thats my project this summer before med school. Im building a 240sx rb25(skyline engine) swap. Anyway you could run the zx into the ground and then always drop a new engine for pretty cheap.

2nd place is the MR2.

I would stay away from the stealth / mitsu.

If you are considering a 300zx and 3000gt a b5 s4 should be on your list. Face-lift b5 a4s with the aeb engines are easy to find and make fast too.

I would avoid a p-car unless you have some extremely deep pockets.

Last edited:
I do not think either a 3000GT VR4 or 944 would make good project cars unless you have deep pockets.

I still think a 95-99 BMW e36 M3 would be better.

Last edited:
I had a 93 stealth tt and loved it. But for a track car the thing is super heavy, and it was always breaking down. Out of the cars listed I would go with the 300z. But if I could pick up any car I would go 240 with a rb25 like coyfish is doing

I had a 93 stealth tt and loved it. But for a track car the thing is super heavy, and it was always breaking down. Out of the cars listed I would go with the 300z. But if I could pick up any car I would go 240 with a rb25 like coyfish is doing

I had a 97 3000GT VR4 that was always breaking down. I think a s13 or s14 would be a good project car as well for him.

I had a 97 3000GT VR4 that was always breaking down. I think a s13 or s14 would be a good project car as well for him.

Yea great cars, but you need deep pockets. And I had a 89 240sx with an sr20 and that thing was a beast. Never tracked it, but can only imagine it would be a amazing on the track.

Yea great cars, but you need deep pockets. And I had a 89 240sx with an sr20 and that thing was a beast. Never tracked it, but can only imagine it would be a amazing on the track.

I had a few s13s and s14s but never did any engine swaps. My cousin swapped a VQ35de with a 6speed from a wrecked 350z into a 98 240sx SE. It is a blast to drive on both the street and at track events. He is talking about swapping in either a VH45de or VK56de but I think he should just go with a LS1 swap.

Last edited:
I'd rather get a vehicle where I don't have to do an engine swap. Ideally I'd focus my time/money on only a couple simple power adders, but mostly invest in suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, chassis bracing, and such to make it a beast track car. I'd be plently happy with 250-300hp in a light 2WD car, as much more power will wind up as smoked tires at auto-x speeds.

I don't blame you not wanting to do an engine swap. I still think you should look at a e36 M3. 240hp from the factory and it handles like it is on rails. Tons of aftermarket support. Especially in the state we live in.

I don't blame you not wanting to do an engine swap. I still think you should look at a e36 M3. 240hp from the factory and it handles like it is on rails. Tons of aftermarket support. Especially in the state we live in.

I approve of this post, reliable i6 50/50 factory weight. Unless your idea of a track car is drag racing this is a good cheap and fast option.

And the e36 just looks awesome. I vote for the m3!

hehe...I am pushing the e36 M3 because it is a great value for a project car. There are plenty out there on the market and alot of aftermarket support. Just in NH alone there are dozens of BMW tuning shops or parts shops. I work for one of those shops. http://www.bavauto.com

I hadn't really though about an M3, but if I could find a good deal on one I'd seriously consider it.

I was thinking about engine swaps and the thought occurs that with an MR-2 one could, in theory, swap in an engine and transmission from almost any front/front setup car, possibly including a 2.3L DISI MRZ from a 'Speed3... which could end up being an awesome car.

Back