What did you pay for your CX-5?

Does anyone have any advice on actual language used after the dealer gives you their quote (over email)?

I've never haggled over email and I'm just not sure how to say it's not low enough. I guess I'm afraid of them just ignoring me or something?

Does anyone have any advice on actual language used after the dealer gives you their quote (over email)?

I've never haggled over email and I'm just not sure how to say it's not low enough. I guess I'm afraid of them just ignoring me or something?

i did it when i bought my CPO Mazda 3. It may be a little different when buying new, but i basically came back with an out the door number that was less than what i wanted to spend. I said this is what im comfortable at what do you think. Over the course of a week and 2 or 3 more emails we worked our way to the number i actually wanted. He admitted that he really needed to move some cars by the end of the month and asked if i could come in immediately to buy it so that also worked in my favor. They are cars salesman so they are used to this and if they act super offended its all an act. Some think being a jerk will bully you into buying. Dont fall for it. If they ignore you just move on it means they arent motivated to sell.

i did it when i bought my CPO Mazda 3. It may be a little different when buying new, but i basically came back with an out the door number that was less than what i wanted to spend. I said this is what im comfortable at what do you think. Over the course of a week and 2 or 3 more emails we worked our way to the number i actually wanted. He admitted that he really needed to move some cars by the end of the month and asked if i could come in immediately to buy it so that also worked in my favor. They are cars salesman so they are used to this and if they act super offended its all an act. Some think being a jerk will bully you into buying. Dont fall for it. If they ignore you just move on it means they arent motivated to sell.

Good tips, thank you! I'm so ready to get started but have a feeling it's going to feel like a year until the 2019's are out

They won't ignore you...they have bills to pay.

I spent a large part of my career in commercial procurement (negotiated with IBM, Microsoft, Apple, HP, and similar businesses in other industries), and I always get spun up more when making a large personal purchase than I ever did when negotiating deals worth tens of millions of dollars...and more...on someone else's behalf. That's just how it is.

Just relax.
You are in charge. You can walk away at any time.
You have the money. They want it. Any "mistake" you make is forgivable.

You are the reason they are in business.

No, I didn't get preferred package. Tax in AZ is kind of high, 8.1% which sucks when buying something like a car. I did pay $80 for an SD card to get the navigation though. I'll probably buy some new front speakers though, because the 6 speaker setup is lacking in the Touring. I'm ok without the moonroof and automatic liftgate.

Great! Thanks! Yeah, I am also not looking for the PP package. I am in California so the taxes are high as well. I don't need moonroof and auto liftgate as well and also not the speakers because I have a 6 months old and don't need a fancy system. But will definitely get a SD for navigation. I just wanted to see how good the quotes I am getting are. I got a $26,069 OTD so i think it is a good deal. Will see if I can push it down further

dang that is really ridiculous. I got a quote for a Touring with preferred package at 0% for $28455 otd.
I just lied and used your quote to the dealership that offered me the touring at over 30k out the door. They said that is a ridiculous price and there must be something wrong with the car. HAHA.
Moving on from this dealership.

I just lied and used your quote to the dealership that offered me the touring at over 30k out the door. They said that is a ridiculous price and there must be something wrong with the car. HAHA.

Haha!!

Had one tell me, I hate to lose your business, but you better go buy that car right now, so I did! Lol His was a great price too at over 15% off MSRP, but a $1k is a $1k, sorry...

Great! Thanks! Yeah, I am also not looking for the PP package. I am in California so the taxes are high as well. I don't need moonroof and auto liftgate as well and also not the speakers because I have a 6 months old and don't need a fancy system. But will definitely get a SD for navigation. I just wanted to see how good the quotes I am getting are. I got a $26,069 OTD so i think it is a good deal. Will see if I can push it down further

Yeah if that is OTD for a Touring FWD especially in California I feel like that is pretty good. I got Machine Grey so that is a few hundred more, but he eventually caved and let me have it for the price I was wanting. Tried to squeeze them for accessories but they wouldn't offer anything else.

Yeah move on. Had 1 dealer say to me that he felt there was no way I could get the pricing I did and that it was a very aggressive quote. Then I had 2 dealers going back and forth for the lower price. 1 eventually said that since I didn't come in the price was no good anymore. The other held his word so I went there and gave them my business. Then you just have to get through the paperwork and them not jacking you around.

Their initial quote is usually going to be garbage. That's why it's good to blast out a bunch of emails and make sure you actually get numbers. Then you have starting points to go off of. Look over the prices people paid on here. You can even mention that "you know people that were getting XX,XXX for just the vehicle, so OTD I would like to be XX,XXX. You can always throw out an OTD number that is lower than what you want. I honestly was expecting to pay $27k OTD, but then the 1 dealer surprised me and said he would go $26,600, so then I worked that number down a bit more. There were some days I wouldn't even hear from them, and then they would email out of nowhere. If they really need to sell, they will contact you. You just have to be patient if you have the time, and don't make decisions off emotions or because they are pressuring you. As others have said, you are in control.

I picked up a Red Touring without the Preferred Package today for $28K OTD (with 9.75% tax).

EDIT: with 0% financing

Last edited:
Picked up my grey touring with the preferred package for $28k with 0% financing on Saturday. Love it. Seems like some of y'all are really good at finding deals. Saw a silver touring about an hour from here without preferred package for $25.5k but I really wanted grey and preferred package so I'm happy.

Picked up my grey touring with the preferred package for $28k with 0% financing on Saturday. Love it. Seems like some of y'all are really good at finding deals. Saw a silver touring about an hour from here without preferred package for $25.5k but I really wanted grey and preferred package so I'm happy.

Enjoy your new whip. You*re in SC, should*ve hit me up. If you buy in the Upstate, you won*t find deals, even when you show them you*re not paying their nonsense pricing...

Congrats! This is a great deal if you are in Cali! Enjoy!

Hello Guys - Picked up my Deep Crystal Blue CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package for $28.4k (OTD) on last Saturday.
0% APR.
I really love the color. Thanks everyone for keeping this thread active and helping new buyers.

Cheers !!!!!

Back