Weird problem - blower/fan

dave1919

:
mazda protege 5
Hi everyone,

Since i bought my p5, there's a few weird problem with my blower. I've read a lot about it here and found a few "answers" and a lot of people talking about the blower motor resistor, but don't seem to be the problem here.

When I bought the car, the fan was only working on 4. No air on 1-2-3 position. And the A/C light was on on 1-2-3 position (without air coming out) and the A/C was turning off by itself on 4.

Since a few days, no more air coming out of the fan on 4 also, so no air at all from the fan. But yesterday, everything came back like normal and air was coming in on every position but not heat, only cold air. And this morning, nothing, the fak was not working at all again.

Do you think its a blower resistor problem ? Maybe the switch ? Don,t no what to do with it.

Thanks for your help

(Trying to solve this problem soon, winter's coming real fast here in Canada !)

Probably your fan switch... Read the sticky above.

You can check the condition of your connector easily enough.

You can always do this !!!

Last edited:
I already check the fan switch, seems in good condition, nothing like your second picture.

Do someone have a wiring diagram that I can use to build something like you last picture ? Don't mind building something like this. Or maybe only using an ON/OFF switch, I can I do that, which wire to use ? The big black power one ?

The resistor is likely to be the problem if you only have heat on high. In that position, voltage runs right from the battery to the fan motor, the resistor is not in the equation.

However, the fan switch is known to be problematic on these, so I would definitely check it. The contacts inside cannot be checked visually.

Last edited:
.... But yesterday, everything came back like normal and air was coming in on every position but not heat, only cold air...

Your control wire for the temperature dial may have fallen off or became unclipped.

Do someone have a wiring diagram that I can use to build something like you last picture ? Don't mind building something like this. Or maybe only using an ON/OFF switch, I can I do that, which wire to use ? The big black power one ?

Just in case you do want to install a switch,...

The fat black wire feeds the power to the switch then it is sent to one of the other four wires.

If you install four on/off switches. Feed the black wire to one side of all the switches and the other four wires to the other side of each switch.

That fat black wire is actually a ground wire... If any of your wires touch each other or touch ground you will not blow a fuse... The fan will just turn on.
And it doesn't matter if you turn on more than one switch at the same time... You won't blow anything up.

Make sure any switch you use can handle up to 12 amps... That's why the house switch would work well... They are rated 15 amps..

Back