Tranny SOS!!

I have a 2003.5 mazdaspeed and the diff is gone. Cant afford to get it rebuilt right now but i need my car. What trannys will bolt up to the FS block. and what about the drive axle splines, are they different? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G15M-R but if you want an LSD in yours, look for a G15 out of a Madaspeed. Make sure it has the revised build date too, or you'll be getting a shittier tranny. Check the FAQ. Your axles will bolt right up, despite being thicker. Change the axle seals, axle clips, all that.

Believe me, you can't just grab some old probe tranny and drop it in. It's gonna be way cheaper for you to get it rebuilt.

If it's just the diff, buy a new one from the dealer... I got mine brand new for like $500 CAD. Get the diff, have it welded if your car is modded at all, and get new bearings pressed on. Drop in your new diff and go to town. A new tranny is not the answer, unless you ****** up more than you're telling me.

Hey Maxx thanks alot. I found a 2003 Protege tranny (not the msp) for 350 in ohio. Hopefully its in good condition.

I just dont have the funds right now to get it rebuilt right now. A good spare time project. Oh by the way, are you talking about the KL-ZE tranny or the 4 cyl tranny out of the probe?

The Probe 4 cyl is the same engine as ours. The tranny you found won't have the LSD or thicker MSP clutch fork, so be aware. Honestly man, you are STILL better off buying a new LSD and dropping it in...

Where are you located?
I have sources for a msp trans...$800

indianapolis. Can I transfer the clutch fork from my msp to the regular protege tranny? im not looking for a tranny with an lsd until i can fix it right. dont want to have the same "NO GO" problem again.

Last edited:
I just picked up the tranny today. 6 hours of driving and 5 espressos we are good to go. Tomarrow I am gonna install it. Fingers crossed.

Back