Trade-In Remorse

GLCSport78

:
Mazda 3 SGT
My 2002 P5 is sitting in the driveway next to my brand new Mazda3 SGT and the P5 will be towed away by the dealer on Monday.

Get this - yesterday morning I was starting up the P5 to drive it to a dealer to look at new Mazdas and it threw the belt that drives the power steering pump and other stuff. I knew the belt had issues due to something having to do with the AC Compressor clutch being messed up somehow (my mechanic told me $1100 repair) which was why I was thinking now is the time. Also the timing belt had 104K miles, would need some front strut and sway bar work in the near future.

It was quite an ordeal and took > 12 hours and a few cab rides to find and close on the new Mazda which I'm now very happy to have - but...

I loved that P5 - it was one of the funnest and most reliable cars and still drives great. I ended up taking a token $100 and a free tow as the trade-in and I'm so sad to see it go. Now I wish I would have kept it and donated to a charity or Mazda enthusiast but I was tired at the end of a long day car shopping and just wanted to end it.

I get attached to my cars - all Mazdas.

Anyway, I hope the P5 finds a good home -

I've come to this site before looking for info at various times and found it very helpful, but finally registered. The new cars have so many more gadgets I think it may be even more helpful to talk with fellow owners.

Last edited:
$100 is too low. Tell 'em they can't have it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL never take trade in at the dealership!. Even as a project car or parts you could have done far better than $100. As a donation you would have made someone very happy - the timing belt job is not that bad - just setting the engine timing can be somewhat frustrating... Well, and then there's that lower oil seal if you choose to replace it... (rolleyes)

Anyway done now!. Sorry to see you go. I love my P5! :)

Back