Tire wear

When I bought my 360hp/390tq awd Jeep in 2014 with 68k miles on it, it was on oem factory rubber with 2010 date codes. It was a 2010 vehicle. Just a comparo...

Oh, at 30k miles on my lx20s, my cx5 has a ton of tread left, too.

So which is it...am I a super aggressive driver because I only average 22.5mpg...or am I super gentle because my tires wear so well? :/

Most Jeep SRT8 people complain about their tires being shot by 20K. For a near $70,000 vehicle, that has a lot of owners upset.

I'm heavily considering Xi2s.

4 fresh ones in my garage now...they will replace my dunlop wintersport 3ds that i was able to stretch for an impressive 4th season. By look/feel i expect them to handle harsh conditions better and likely be quieter but dry handling will take a hit.

Not that I would buy them again but I notice the OEM 19" Toyo A23s on my CX-5 now cost $189.55 at TireRack.

I have about 31K miles on my Toyos. 4K miles this last winter was on the Blizzaks.

New A23 tread is 9.8/32 and I am currently at 6/32. I'll replace at 4/32 which should be another 10-15K miles.

I'd really like to put Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it but I'd probably need to pickup some other rims.

co_xtrcontactdws_pdpcrop.jpg

Guy at work is running these on stock wheels...i took his toyos off his hands at a nice price..wheel could be a bit wider looks wise but 245/50 will work on stockers..related news new toyo a36 @125ea..:)

Last edited:
Guy at work is running these on stock wheels...i took his toyos off his hands at a nice price..wheel could be a bit wider looks wise but 245/50 will work on stockers

Thanks!!! Good to know!!! I ran these on my '02 Maxima and found them to have great traction in an all-season tire. Not sure how accurate it is but as the D W S wears off tire that lets you know you are at a tread depth that is not rated for specific weather condition.

Most Jeep SRT8 people complain about their tires being shot by 20K. For a near $70,000 vehicle, that has a lot of owners upset.

Yeah, because it's an SRT Jeep. The tires are totally different. Consider it the same as a Camaro or Corvette or something in that way, except it's fighting another 1000-1500# weight.

Not that I would buy them again but I notice the OEM 19" Toyo A23s on my CX-5 now cost $189.55 at TireRack.

I have about 31K miles on my Toyos. 4K miles this last winter was on the Blizzaks.

New A23 tread is 9.8/32 and I am currently at 6/32. I'll replace at 4/32 which should be another 10-15K miles.

I'd really like to put Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it but I'd probably need to pickup some other rims.

co_xtrcontactdws_pdpcrop.jpg

Sent me to Tirerack. The Michelin Premier LTX looks like a real winner!

They do seem to rate high but I was a little put off with the the new tread depth on the Michelin's @ 8.5/32.

They do seem to rate high but I was a little put off with the the new tread depth on the Michelin's @ 8.5/32.

Did not see that. Bleh. The Xi2 is still high on my list, and they are stoopid cheap. Before I got into SUV's, $400 wouldn't even buy ONE tire, much less all FOUR!

I remember in the day getting new tires for my wife's old Protege. I can't remember size but I think it was like the smallest tire typically put on a car. All four were like $130 and upgraded to what the tire center considered their best for $30 more. :)

I managed to get 52k miles out of the stock tires. I currently have Bridgestone T/A Advantage with 20k and they are performing and wearing really well.

Did not see that. Bleh. The Xi2 is still high on my list, and they are stoopid cheap. Before I got into SUV's, $400 wouldn't even buy ONE tire, much less all FOUR!

Cooper Discoverer SRX went on wife's highlander in lieu of her 1 season old blizzaks which were good in snow/ice but really nowhere else..Coopers handled our winter with flying colors, great in the wet and even handle pretty impressively also..so much better than oe dueler ecopias its stupid. Mileage took a 5% or so hit but nothing else negative to say and traction in all conditions is a pretty important safety feature over 1mpg...these can definitely be used year round if you don't want to bother having 2 sets..imo

I got a 2015 CX-5 GT AWD in Oct 2014 in NY. Regular servicing and rotation at every 5000 miles. Still at only 22000 miles I was down to 4/32". Trying to make it to the finish line of my lease at 30k without plunging down extra money. Stock tire, everyday user in winter and summer - Mazda should do better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had an interesting conversation with a mate who recently retired after owning a mjaor brand retail tyre outlet for many years. He knows more about tyres than anyone I know.

My brother has a 2012 CX5 GT and its Toyo 225/55/19 tyres are just about ready for replacement. As he is soon going on a long trip he wants to get new tyres before he leaves.

My mate confidently recommended Bridgestone Ecopia in a 235/55/19. This is a very slightly larger rolling diameter that the 225's but he said in his experience the speedo would still be safely within accuracy tolerances. He said these tyres would have a better load rating and would wear and perform better than the OEM Toyo tyres.

225/55/29 are not a very commonly available size here in Aus, so this was another reason he recommended the 235's. We can get the Toyos on order at sime dealers.

Last edited:
Just had an interesting conversation with a mate who recently retired after owning a mjaor brand retail tyre outlet for many years. He knows more about tyres than anyone I know.

My brother has a 2012 CX5 GT and its Toyo 225/50/19 tyres are just about ready for replacement. As he is soon going on a long trip he wants to get new tyres before he leaves.

My mate confidently recommended Bridgestone Ecopia in a 235/50/19. This is a very slightly larger rolling diameter that the 225's but he said in his eperience the speedo would still be safely within accuracy tolerances. He said these tyres would have a better load rating and would wear and perform better than the OEM Toyo tyres.

225/50/29 are not a commonly available size here in Aus, so this was another reason he recommended the 235's.

Welp I guess 'better' is sometimes a matter of opinion- they were quiet, rode nice and saved about 1mpg, but they were rightfully disposed of after no more than 25k- bit of guesstimate because we change for winter- the car had 35 and had seen two winters on snows so 25k is probably generous..3/32nds hazardous in anything but dry...Coopers do ride a bit firmer and maybe generate a little more noise but its made the HL a better SUV...

I think you have your sizes a bit off..stock gt at least in na market is 225/55-19 and I tried Pirelli Scorpion Verde in 235/55 with xl rating. The added heft of those (same 31lbs as ecopias btw)killed the cx5s acceleration and mpg and the ride was pretty harsh also for no tangible handling improvement. Toyos are good tires and i suspect tuned for the cx5..light and reasonably lively without being harsh at all.. just sucks how stupidly expensive they were/are

Last edited:
Welp I guess 'better' is sometimes a matter of opinion- they were quiet, rode nice and saved about 1mpg, but they were rightfully disposed of after no more than 25k- bit of guesstimate because we change for winter- the car had 35 and had seen two winters on snows so 25k is probably generous..3/32nds hazardous in anything but dry...Coopers do ride a bit firmer and maybe generate a little more noise but its made the HL a better SUV...

I think you have your sizes a bit off..stock gt at least in na market is 225/55-19 and I tried Pirelli Scorpion Verde in 235/55 with xl rating. The added heft of those (same 31lbs as ecopias btw)killed the cx5s acceleration and mpg and the ride was pretty harsh also for no tangible handling improvement. Toyos are good tires and i suspect tuned for the cx5..light and reasonably lively without being harsh at all.. just sucks how stupidly expensive they were/are

Yeah I meant 225/55's. Will edit original post to correct.

Perhaps the versions/compounds we get here are different to the US - the Bridgestones I am referring to are the Ecopia H/T EP850's.

See:
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/ecopia-ep850

There are no snowy/icy winters as such to deal with in 95% of this country. I have never known anyone to need "winter tyres", but I live in the Sunshine State :)

Seriously though you must be good to be able to feel the loss in performance from 19 extra pounds. Were you an F1 driver in a previous life?

BTW here is what Toyo Australia says about the R36 225/55/19:

The Proxes R36 is an original equipment 4x4 tyre designed specifically by Toyo Tires for the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring. Utilising the latest Toyo technology to maximise safety, performance and fuel economy, this tyre is the perfect fit for this Mazda model.

Last edited:
Ok I think we're referencing completely different things...our Toyos are A23 now A36 on the 2017s..you guys are lucky getting proxes. The only ecopias i see in 235/55 are HL 422 so i guess we both need to more specific;)
As for added weight..adding 3+ lbs per corner of rotational mass doesn't seem like much (hell i knew and still bought them) and not saying I'm not good but it seriously felt like I'd dropped anchor..between the weight, the added height and width coupled with not much power to spare it was a failed experiment. I was able to swap them for stock size P7s on Pirellis plus program but found them to suck for the cx5 too for different reasons...weird reactions over choppy pavement and very poor handling.

So I found my "new" tire paperwork.

I replaced my stock Yokohama Geolandars at 18,500 miles. One of the rear tires had developed a bubble in it and could not be repaired. I hated these tires in the snow anyway.

Replaced with Michelin Latitude Tours. I am at 45,400 miles now and they are still doing very well. The only complaint with these tires I guess would be that they are a speed rating lower than the stock Yokohamas were. But whatever, they perform much better in the snow. Hell, I have not needed dedicated snow tires with these on.

Last edited:
Ok I think we're referencing completely different things...our Toyos are A23 now A36 on the 2017s..you guys are lucky getting proxes. The only ecopias i see in 235/55 are HL 422 so i guess we both need to more specific;)
As for added weight..adding 3+ lbs per corner of rotational mass doesn't seem like much (hell i knew and still bought them) and not saying I'm not good but it seriously felt like I'd dropped anchor..between the weight, the added height and width coupled with not much power to spare it was a failed experiment. I was able to swap them for stock size P7s on Pirellis plus program but found them to suck for the cx5 too for different reasons...weird reactions over choppy pavement and very poor handling.

Fair call.

Cant you get the Toyo Proxes R36's there?

Im going to call Toyo dealer and ask a price for my brother. It will be interesting to see - the Bridgestone Ecopia EP850's are on a "buy 3 get the 4th one free" special.

Edit - just picked myself up off the floor - the R36's are A$379 each!!! Tyre place suggested Cooper SRX as a better option and are $80 less each.

Last edited:
Back