Tire wear

I got a bubble in one of my stock Yokohamas in August 2014. I bought the car in April 2013. I wasn't very satisfied with their winter performance anyway, so I just got them replaced with some Michelin Latitudes (which I have been very happy with). I want to say I replaced them when I had around 15 - 20k miles, but I really do not remember. I'm at 45k miles now and tires are still going great.

Is this normal? Geez... the stock tires on my 2008 Escape I just replaced a couple months. At 140k miles. Original battery replaced last year. The idea of replacing $400 tires every 30k miles is kinda scary, y'all.

I've never gotten 140k kms on a set of tires let alone miles..people driving tires down to the belts is way scarier to me- but you're certainly not alone.
To answer you question though- 30-35k on tires w/300 treadwear (like the stock GTs) is about normal and what I would have probably gotten on mine had I not sliced a sidewall @24k..
This is easily solved by getting replacements with higher treadwear as was mentioned earlier but I find those numbers only mean so much. I'd go more on treadlife warranty distance and if you get 80-90% of that with a few 32nds to spare I'd say that's pretty good. As was also mentioned earlier tires (especially all seasons) are a compromise. Everyone wants long tread life but very often those don't perform as well overall particularly in wet or snowy conditions.

Last edited:
My husband reminded me that this was actually the second set of tires on the car. Still, averaging 70k on a set. The ones that were just replaced were BF Goodrich. That's all I could tell you. Spent the last 5 years driving basically the same 7-mile commute inside the Houston loop, with a 25-mile jaunt into the suburbs every few weeks (plus one long road trip to Big Bend). Nothing special there about driving habits.

I almost died putting on the cheapest ones to pass inspection (can't get a new car until Sept, and registration is due this month... Knew the tires wouldn't pass muster, since they barely did last year, which was about 9k miles ago). That was something like $100/tire. And mine are only 235/70/R16, too.

You know that's not even remotely normal, right? 140K? I hope you bought the exact same kind. What were they? Where do you live?

I know my situation wasn't normal... I meant only getting 30k out of stock tires on a new car. That's... That just sounds low.

I know my situation wasn't normal... I meant only getting 30k out of stock tires on a new car. That's... That just sounds low.
This's true in current era many tires can easily last over 50K miles. But looks like I need a set of new 225/55R19 tires even before 30K as my OE A23's are down to 5/32" on tread depth at 17,907 miles! I understand the UTQG treadwear on OE Toyo's rated at only 300, but the OE Continental's on our BMW with 200 treadwear rating lasted 25K miles under the same driving condition for wife's DD!

I agree these OE Toyo A23's are disappointing especially on treadwear and I definitely won't get another set even if the price on newer A36 costs only less than half of the A23! The cost for replacing a set of 19's is very high nowadays, at $800 ~ $1,000 for reputable tires, I want replacement tires can last at least 50K miles, not just 25K!

Am I the only one scratching my head here? 30-40k on tires seems pretty normal to me. It's what ive gotten pretty regularly across many cars with many tires.

Unobtainium...Stop calling my car an econo-whatever. I bought a $30,000 CUV...Not a Kia Soul. Or a Chevy Spark. But let's just call it that for the sake of discussion...Would you expect top of the line long lasting tires on your econobox? Really?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

People complaining about 35-40k miles outta a set of tires should probably stick to public transportation.

Am I the only one scratching my head here? 30-40k on tires seems pretty normal to me. It's what ive gotten pretty regularly across many cars with many tires.

Unobtainium...Stop calling my car an econo-whatever. I bought a $30,000 CUV...Not a Kia Soul. Or a Chevy Spark. But let's just call it that for the sake of discussion...Would you expect top of the line long lasting tires on your econobox? Really?

I'd expect a mid-line tire. Not the crappiest tire in existence. It is rough/loud, it has poor traction in almost all circumstances, and it's done before 30K miles? REALLY!?

Sounds about right.

AWD vehicles eat tires more. Also, living in an area with twists and turns will escalate tire wear as well. personal driving habits also influence wear too.

My Volvo has 35k and I'll need tires before next winter. That makes a difference, too. I could probably go another 2 or 3 years in Miami.

When I bought my 360hp/390tq awd Jeep in 2014 with 68k miles on it, it was on oem factory rubber with 2010 date codes. It was a 2010 vehicle. Just a comparo...

Oh, at 30k miles on my lx20s, my cx5 has a ton of tread left, too.

So which is it...am I a super aggressive driver because I only average 22.5mpg...or am I super gentle because my tires wear so well? :/

My Volvo has 35k and I'll need tires before next winter. That makes a difference, too. I could probably go another 2 or 3 years in Miami.

Agreed, I am on the fence about changing tires at 45 to 50k, or ride out next winter on them. Depends on the winter, and I dunno until I know

When I bought my 360hp/390tq awd Jeep in 2014 with 68k miles on it, it was on oem factory rubber with 2010 date codes. It was a 2010 vehicle. Just a comparo...

Oh, at 30k miles on my lx20s, my cx5 has a ton of tread left, too.

So which is it...am I a super aggressive driver because I only average 22.5mpg...or am I super gentle because my tires wear so well? :/

I didn't see their condition but I'm saying no way in hell those tires saw 68k miles-the fact they had 2010 date codes proves nothing

This dliemma is easily solved with winter tires, winter wheels and tires makes it easy and not having to remount/balance twice a year justifies wheel cost

I'll probably do that for the Mazda next winter. Not for the Volvo.

I didn't see their condition but I'm saying no way in hell those tires saw 68k miles-the fact they had 2010 date codes proves nothing

OEM tire, no service records that showed tires replaced , the tires I put on it then looked great at 94k miles or so, and the tires I got off of it were dry rotted, knotted, and looked like crap. I believe they were OEM from the factory original, as did the tire shop. Now I'm not saying they should have got 68k...but they didn't pop lol!

Back