Thank you TPMS

piotrek91

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
On my way to work yesterday my TPMS beeped at me and the light went ON. The tires looked fine from the outside and my tire pressure gauge was sitting in my garage, so I didn't get around to measuring the pressure till this morning.

Sure enough, the left rear tire was at 25PSI. I pumped it up to 35PSI with my trusty HF air compressor and drove to the tire shop nearby my work and got it patched up.
My OEM tires have 41k on them, and should be good until it starts raining here (another 10k or so)
BzlML6m.jpg

You are past the wear bar... 10k? I would be replacing these now unless you know for a fact you won't be on a wet road until you do.

You are past the wear bar... 10k? I would be replacing these now unless you know for a fact you won't be on a wet road until you do.

It's not quite at the wear bar yet. The angle of the picture makes it look worse than it is.

It's unlikely to rain here at all for the next few months, and if it does, driving slowly goes a long way towards preventing hydroplaning.

http://average-rainfall.findthebest.com/l/40/Los-Angeles-California

The only real hazard that I keep in mind when driving around here in the summer with tires approaching the legal limit is potential puddles caused by water leaks or lawn sprinklers on an otherwise perfectly dry road.

If you hit one of those at a high speed with tires approaching the wear bars you're gonna have a bad time. That's a marginal risk that I'm willing to live with to squeeze out the full life of the tires.

Last edited:
Those tires are practically at the wear mark. I'm a bit nervous that you feel you can get another 10K out of that.

There's road dirt embedded in the wear bar, therefore you're at the wear bar.

Time for new tires.

90% of tire failures happen in the last 10% of tread.
But I'm like you and try to get as much out of the tire as possible

There's road dirt embedded in the wear bar, therefore you're at the wear bar.

Time for new tires.

I took a look at my tires today, and I noticed that there are two sets of wear indicators.
One indicator, the one visible in the photo is higher than the other.

I think the taller set, which is visible in the photo might be at 4/32".
The other indicator stretches across the entire thread and is at 2/32".

You guys can rest easy. I still have a lot of miles to go before I reach the 2/32" wear bar.

Back